THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

So I called and spoke with one of the therapists who was trained in this program. They give you lots of stretches, that's something I like. Their definition of 'pushing through the pain' seems fuzzy right now and I need to get a better idea of what that entails. It sounds like their program is aggressive in that it doesn't use passive modalities or manual treatment, you have to do the exercises. If 'pushing through' means working out if stiff or sore, then that would be okay with me. But if it means pushing through sharp pain, then I don't know how that would help anything. Because I am curious and want to at least show that I looked into the program and gave it a shot, I'm going to go and have an evaluation done. That way I can find out exactly what they do instead of guessing. Bending can be painful right now, but it gets better with moving throughout the day and stretching, so 'maybe' that's what they mean by pushing through? The reason I think it may be a more reasonable approach than it sounds is that when I explained to the doctor the activities I've continued to do, although inconsistently, he commented that I was 'pushing through it' and getting on with my life. You're all about to find out because I go tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Hi @AJinNH
Sorry to hear you're struggling with pain. I hope all goes well at your evaluation tomorrow and
they're able to work with you resulting in some relief.
Keep us posted and enjoy the day!

Thanks @Layla hopefully I'll get some relief. The right thigh pain was part of my pain pre-hip replacement pain and I assumed it was all coming from my hip. Now that the groin pain is gone other issues are revealing themselves, all an important part of the recovery process I think. I'm relieved that the thigh pain isn't a stem issue, important for other BS members to hear I think. My implant and the bone surrounding it look great. As the doc said the other day, I don't have any new parts except the right hip, so they're acting their age.

If they have you doing core stability exercises you will definitely benefit from those. I had years of physio for my spine - all to build the core. Once you get those exercises down you will automatically tighten your core when you are lifting or doing any heavy work. A stable core mean far less pain or injury.

I'm anxious to see your report tomorrow.

Hi @Jaycey they did stress core strengthening when I spoke to them. That’s what helped put me at ease a bit. The prescription states ‘non-pain contingent progressive stretching.’ I’ll let you know tomorrow what that all means.

@AJinNH - I wonder if part of the concept is that, after some period of chronic pain, the brain can think something hurts just because it expects it to hurt (one of the PTs I saw on the psoas issue was a big proponent of this theory) and/or, after a period of not using certain muscles, certain motions are going to cause pain no matter what you do but if you can work thru it to strengthen the muscle, there is pain relief in the long term. As others have said/implied, though, it's a question of whether what you're doing is causing a bigger problem than not doing anything. Good luck tomorrow!

I went through physical therapy for my back both prior to surgery, and after my back surgery for spinal stenosis. Both times I was told by both my physician and my physical therapist, that while I might feel a little discomfort from the stretching or the movements, I should never feel pain. They said the pain was an indicator that I was going too far, or too fast, and what was recommended was to reduce the reps, or the movements until I got to a point where I was not in pain.

The PT before my surgery did not solve the issue, but neither did it make it worse. The PT I had after back surgery was slow paced, and very effective. I personally wouldn't be signing up for something I knew up front would cause me to "push through the pain". But then again, I am not a Boot Camp type of person in general.

You might follow up before signing up and see if they meant actual pain, or just discomfort. I do understand your eagerness to do something to alleviate the pain you are in.....hope you can find something that works for you, and doesn't make things worse. Severe pain, hip, back, or anything is so debilitating. :console2:

Hi @SaraK how have you been! I appreciate your insight. This made me think of when I was medicating my hip with NSAIDs my pain continued anyway, and seemed to get worse. When I had to stop using them due to the GERD that they caused, after a few months I discovered that the pain changed and was more tolerable. I believe they made me more sensitive to the pain. In a similar way I have found that in regards to my back pain, if I keep moving it gets better. Unfortunately I had a sudden bout of colitis earlier this winter that hospitalized me and stopped my activity leading, I believe, to my current back problem escalating.
I think pain is a funny thing in that it can seem like a relationship that needs be nurtured and cajoled at times in order to get along with. It needs to be acknowledged but not allowed to take charge of your life. Of course I’m not talking about debilitating pain. The line I draw in the sand is when I can’t sleep because of it. During the day I can get through it. Hopefully one way or another I’ll work it out (until the next challenge). ;)

Hi @Debru4 my experience with PT in the past was similar to yours. I intend to find out whether they mean discomfort or pain. I know that the old school of thinking with back pain was bed rest and inactivity, and that never worked well for me. I’m wondering if the Boot Camp is simply a method to change that mentality. It’s natural to not want to move if it causes pain.

@AJinNH - I dealt with progressive pain and limitation from the psoas most of last year. I had another surgery on New Year's Eve to cut the psoas tendon and have been living the good life since. That nagging pain can wear you down mentally and emotionally as well as physically. Getting rid of it is so uplifting! I hope you're able to get that same relief soon!

I think you may be right! You'll have to let us know what you discover if you follow up with the Boot Camp. The name alone makes me shudder---haha!

I think there is such a fine line between discomfort and pain, especially for those of us who have high pain tolerance levels. Since I am unable to take narcotics or NSAIDS for pain, my main medication is acetaminophen. I think I have just adjusted to ignoring a lot of pain, or as you described above, perhaps my body feels pain differently since I don't take many medications.

Either way, this has not always worked to my benefit, as I've waited too long, or thought something was just uncomfortable that in truth was in bad shape and needed medical attention. Sometimes ice and bedrest is needed, but the old model of spending weeks inactive clearly went too far. As in most things in life----balance is the answer! :SUNsmile:

You sound like you have a very positive attitude! I sure hope you can resolve your pain....chronic pain just wears you down mentally as well as physically.:console2:

Last edited:
Hi all, sorry I took so long getting back to you regarding my PT appointment. I was impressed with the thorough exam I received as well as their explanation of the program. They do want you to push through pain, but in the end it's really up to me how far I go, they don't physically force you or anything like that, no hands on by them. As long as I'm in control I can handle that. It's worth trying for a bit. They've just given me stretches for now, nothing extreme, and most of them I'm familiar with from previous therapy. When I stopped to think about it, I'm already pushing through the pain when I put my socks on in the morning :heehee: By the end of the day I can stand and touch the floor without a problem.
I'm still very relieved and thankful that the issue isn't with my implant. That's what I really wanted to share with everyone. If you have pain after your replacement try not to jump to conclusions like I was doing. I was convinced that my thigh pain meant that there was a problem with the stem of my implant or my femur. And I also was convinced that the left hip pain meant I was looking at a second replacement, also not true. I wish I could have all those hours of worrying back.
As always, I'm also grateful for the support of the BS community.

Also, I wanted to mention that the Back Boot Camp is a lot of core strengthening as well as other areas. This is definitely something I think will be helpful. I'll keep you posted.

Glad you are felt confident and do let us know!:friends:

Hi @AJinNH All I can say is I am one day ahead of you and there is NO WAY I would agree to the Black Boot Camp ... I would give it the boot! I agree with gentle stretching and movements allowing the body to heal naturally.

Gosh, I was on another planet when I wrote that! :flabber:

I am NOT one day ahead of you ... you are a YEAR ahead of me! :thud:

Any old how, I am pleased you seem to be progressing and trust that continues for you to get the relief you need. And I see it's the Back Boot Camp not Black Boot Camp.
:sorry:

Hi All, although it's been a while, my BoneSmart friends are never far from my thoughts. I thought I'd swing by and give you an update on my progress with hip and back, especially for anyone newly recovering or contemplating hip replacement. I know when I first came on BS the recovery threads sometimes scared me to death, so here's some positive news.

I'm almost 16 months postop and I'm feeling better than I have in many years. No complaints at all on either of my hips (I'm knocking on wood now). I walk miles, swim, do strength training at the gym and chase around after my very active grandchildren (31/2 and 51/2).

I posted a few months back about problems with my back that led me to a 'back boot camp' prescribed by a physiatrist. I have to say that experience was one of the best I've had and I'm so glad that I went ahead with it. I 'graduated' from the program in late May and have been continuing the stretches and weight training program that they gave me. I belong to the YMCA, so I can go to any Y when I travel, which makes it convenient. My back feels better than it has in ages. I won't exaggerate and say I never have any back pain, I do sometimes, but it's extremely manageable and I never have back pain anymore when I sleep. And I don't have to take any medicine for back pain, a huge benefit. Unlike other PT I've had in the past, the back program addressed my whole body, core, arms and legs. I had to invest a lot of time and effort, both while in PT and at home, but it was worth it.

Because of the physical therapy program for my back and the program that I continue to follow, I'm so much more active than I've been in years. I've lost 15 lbs in the last two months and feel fantastic. I have OA in my back, so the problem hasn't been cured, but boy is it so much better! Between the hip replacement and this back program I have my life back.

I also have learned that in addition to doing the stretches and weight training regularly, common sense things like icing my back on long car rides makes a world of difference. If life gets in the way of my routine my body tells me real quick to get back to it or else; it doesn't take long to tighten up again. This isn't the type of thing you do for a little while then move on, it has to be lifelong, like brushing your teeth or you'll lose them.

If you're newly recovering and have various aches and pains, remember that your body has been compensating for your bad hip for a long time. It took me over a year to get to this point, but the effort that I put in to a whole body recovery has really paid off.

I am so grateful for my recovery and all of the help that I received the past couple of years from everyone on this site.

Such wonderful news! I was actually thinking about you the other day and wondering how (or if) the boot camp had gone. It's great that it was so beneficial. I'm in full agreement with you. Between the 2 hip replacements and the psoas surgery, I have a new life (I don't say I have my life back because I do so much more and enjoy life so much more than I had in years. You are right, though. I've missed time at the gym (life interferes sometimes) and feel it. I need to get back into my stretches, etc. - the difference btwn now and before, though, is I know I can do it!

Take care! :flwrysmile:

@AJinNH Thanks for stopping by and giving us this great update. So glad you are enjoying life again. That's what this amazing surgery is all about! Well done!

Hi @AJinNH
It is so nice to hear from you! I've thought of you often, especially with your close surgery connection to my moms as you were so very supportive of her during your own recovery. She's doing well also. Thank you for the anniversary wishes on my thread and inquiring about my mom, you're a sweetheart!

Your update is wonderful and a testament to how beneficial this surgery can be in getting our life back after the slow decline of OA. I'm also happy to hear you've found techniques to keep your back issues at bay, or at least to a tolerable discomfort. It's sounds like you're pretty much able to engage in all that brings you joy. Congrats on the weight loss also.

Your update is inspirational and I'm sure will be read by many looking for stories on life after THR. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to share. Please don't be a stranger. You're always a welcome surprise.
Many blessings to you!

:wave:@AJinNH
If you're newly recovering and have various aches and pains, remember that your body has been compensating for your bad hip for a long time. It took me over a year to get to this point, but the effort that I put in to a whole body recovery has really paid off.
Wanted to pull out this important message for new hippies.
So glad to hear from you...it IS amazing how new hips can "reset" our lives.
Thanks for the update:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks