THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

Hooray for side-sleeping @AJinNH :sleep:....I'm jealous, I look more like this :zzz:, but I see the surgeon again on Friday so I'm hoping he'll let me turn over :yahoo: Glad the thigh pain has gone, amazing what a difference good sleep and a bit of painfree time can make to our outlook....long may it last :thumb:

13 weeks postop today, tomorrow is my 3 month anniversary. I’m working through my soft tissue issues, relieved that it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the implant. I worked out on my elliptical on Friday, kept it an easy workout, and didn’t experience a repeat of the weight bearing pain I had last week. I had PT today and my therapist could see a lot of tightness in my muscles as well as my leg wanting to twist in again. So the plan is to continue on with soft tissue work, stretches and strengthening as well as some cardio as long as I don’t overdo it and listen to my body.

Of course he can’t tell me how much is just right and how much is overdoing it, I have to figure it out for myself. Right now I’m adding things in one at a time and giving myself a day or two to evaluate how my body is responding. The worst part was having people tell me I was limping when I wasn’t aware that I was. Someone also said I looked like I was in pain, again it came as a surprise. Felt a bit depressed after.

I do still feel like my right leg is longer than the left, but they keep telling me it’s soft tissue issues making it appear that way. Getting leg length right is supposed to be one of my OS’s super powers. I don’t notice it all the time.

I continue to sleep better, I do toss about during the night, but fortunately I’m getting good quality sleep in between. Since overdoing it last week I’ve occasionally taken some OTC pain meds, but it seems to help, so I’m just going with it even though I’d prefer to be without the need for them.

So at 3 months a bit humbled and smarter, but improving.

:hi: Good to see an update!
Of course he can’t tell me how much is just right and how much is overdoing it, I have to figure it out for myself. Right now I’m adding things in one at a time and giving myself a day or two to evaluate how my body is responding.
I think this is very smart.
You can just give yourself some days to do, and days to don't!
A journey, for sure.
:tada:

Great updates @AJinNH !

I'm right behind you for surgery dates. Still have pain,discomfort and limp too.
Complicated by the left hip - surgery this Friday.
My OS acknowledged LLD at my last appointment and informed it was mainly due to femur neck/head
having had a congenital shape/angle issue, short and straight. Since they don't make
replacement hips "wrong" like mine were, the new prosthesis is "normal". And that leg is longer.
Just over an inch. Maybe I will have a wider bum too...:shocked:
He hopes to even them on Friday. Let's hope he gets it right!

Sounds like you're pretty active for our 3 months out. Good for you! That's the whole point of this right?
Just listen to the body - can rush. We are still young at this.

Love @Mojo333 Some days for do and some days for don't! Stealing that.

That IS a good one @Mojo333
Did you just think that up today? Love it!
Maybe just as much as "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"
That Mojo is pretty good with those one liners :yes:

I think your doing great! @AJinNH
Your recovery has been measured and sensible.
I can't believe it's three months already. Time sure flies.
It's nice to hear you're sleeping better. You're well on your way.
A great rest of the week to you!

I went to the pool this morning, but instead of doing water aerobics I just did laps instead. I thought it best to try one type of exercise at a time to see how well I tolerate it. So today was just some gentle kicking while swimming, slow laps using mostly my arms. I should know in the next day or two if the thigh pain returns.

I felt great during and after swimming, so I hope it doesn’t return. Fingers crossed!

Good for you!
I'll cross mine too :fingersx:
And a quick one of these :prayer:
Hope your week is good!
@AJinNH

First with the good news. Doing laps and getting back on the elliptical haven’t recreated the thigh pain, so that’s a relief. I think the water aerobics was too much, so I’m staying away from that for a while.

Today I fell. I’ve been so afraid of falling and doing something to harm my hip. It was my own stupidity that caused the fall, I took off my shoes to try on some clothes, and had just my socks on my feet. I know better. I was doing fine until I decided to walk down the hallway (hardwood floors) and the next thing I knew I was on the ground. I really slammed my non-op side hip, knee and shoulder. I’m icing them all now. So far my op hip seems fine. I scared the heck out of my husband. Me too. Still a bit shaken up and discovering areas that hurt, like my left wrist. I walked around some after I fell, also did some bending to make sure I didn’t have any sharp pain, except for soreness everything seems okay.

I’m supposed to travel on Friday. I’m such a dummy. Please learn from my mistake!

Has anyone else fallen after surgery?

Yep - taking a hike in nature reserve on vacation - about 2 miles from nearest outlet from trail. Looked up to talk to my son on trail ahead of me and didn't see the hole I stepped in. Threw me off balance and squarely on newest hip. Luckily I didn't hurt the ankle, knee or hip. I guess not even my dignity since my son was the only human in shouting distance and he already knows I'm a klutz! :heehee:. He was just glad he didn't have to carry me out - of course, he probably would have just dragged or rolled me to the water's edge and let the gators have me instead! :rotfl:

I’m so glad yo weren’t hurt @SaraK I can only imagine how you felt so far from help.

My feet went out from under me and I went up before coming down squarely on my left side. I’m moving, gingerly, but moving.

Luckily I didn’t have to worry about gators! :heehee:

No falling:no-fin:
It's against the rules.

Glad your hip is okay. Hope the rest eases soon.

Falling is scary stuff with or without a replaced hip. Hope soreness doesn’t take long to go away.

I'm so sorry you fell and hurt yourself. Thankfully the new hip stayed in place.
I think we all fear falling. I'll bet with lots of icing and rest you'll be ready to travel on Friday.
Great news on the laps and elliptical not causing you thigh pain. Progress!
Now stay on your feet and you've got it made.
Safe travels wherever you're going. I hope you have a great time!
@AJinNH

You are so right about falling being scary stuff @MammaT . I don’t think my husband has recovered yet either, he heard me slam down. Now I can’t be so smug on those forms that ask if you’ve fallen in the past 6 months. I always have been a bit of a klutz, but this was just plain stupidity :headbang:

Thanks @Layla I’ll certainly try to stay on my feet now. And thanks for the reminder about icing, lately I’ve slacked a bit. I think it’s time to ice again.

And HAPPY HIPPIVERSARY! :dancy:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member