THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

AJinNH

senior
Country
United States United States
I’m setting up this thread the night before so that it will be waiting for me in my post surgical haze.
Stay tuned for AJ v2.0 :egypdance:

Try to get a little sleep tonight! Then just relax and let the surgical team do what they do best. We'll be looking for you when you feel up to updating us. I'll even start the mantra now - meds, ice, elevate, rest and repeat! Good luck!

:thumb:
Will be waiting for you.

See you here tomorrow!

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

See you on this side soon! All the best!

Thinking of you this morning.
Give us the old :thumb: when you're able.
It will be so nice to see you on the bright side!
:yawn: :sleep: :ice:
Hugs
@AJinNH

I made it! Surgery was somewhere between 1-2 hours long. Don’t remember a thing. Pain is currently being managed, but OR Meds haven’t worn off yet. I have no restrictions except not to lift my leg off the bed with a straight knee. Always bend then lift. Having some dizziness, so only took a couple of steps. Have got up to use the bedside commode a couple of times. All dignity is gone, but the staff is great and keeping me comfortable. I’m pretty groggy right now and may try to get some sleep soon. Will see my doc in the morning, but spoke with the Fellow who assisted. I had several bone spurs that were restricting movement and he said a bunch more about my hip and bone on bone that I can’t remember right now, (except that it definitely needed to be replaced!) Only complaint at the moment is that my mouth is SO dry. Chewing lots of ice chips and sipping water. Going to listen to my audio book for a while then go to sleep, I’m quite tired.
I’ll try to give a better update tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the support, you really helped get me through this! So glad this is finally done!

:welome: to Recovery!
So nice to hear from you. I'll bet you're so relieved. I know I was.
Get some rest and make sure to ice like crazy.
Wishing you a peaceful evening.
@AJinNH

Last edited:
Pain Meds started to cause nausea despite the patch behind my ear. The nurse gave me an IV med that worked in about 20 minutes. I asked if we could switch off the oxy and take acetaminophen going forward and she agreed with that plan. BM’s will be happy with that too. We’ll see how the hip likes it.
Also, I got a cortisone shot in my knee in the OR to try to avoid another flare up of the right knee. I hope it works. So far so good.

Having my phone while on drugs isn’t a great combo. Did some Amazon shopping and bought some stretching and exercise dvd’s while watching about them on PBS, ‘Age Reversing Workouts’ :heehee: don’t worry exercise police I won’t be doing any of those too early in recovery. Doing my foot pumps, leg slides, breathing spirometer, ankle slides, buttock tightening and knee bends with sling 5 each hourly (kinda) 10 of the pumps. Icing hip and knee. Had both Teds and pneumatic pump but thankfully she removed the Ted’s at my request for the night. I’ll put them back on in the morning. Ted was only on non-operative leg. My nurse is great. They gave me Warfarin earlier and will see the hematology consult in the morning to start the Lovenox shots.

I was exhausted earlier but the nausea woke me up and now I’m wide awake. And the IV fluids seem to be filling up my bladder faster than I’d like. But I’m happy with recovery so far despite all that.

Did I say that I’m so glad the op is behind me? :yes!: Ok, going to ring the nurse for yet another potty break then hopefully some sleep.

Slept well from midnight until 3:30, up for vitals check and bath break. No pain yet and no more narcotics, last dose of acetaminophen at around 11 ish. Wondering when pain Meds I got during surgery and in recovery wear off. I remember getting a couple of doses of morphine in recovery, hoping most has worn off, that was over 12 hours ago. Wishful thinking? Stomach ok at the moment. Going to try for a little more sleep before the morning rush.

So happy you are on the healing side AJ.
I'm glad they are taking good care of you!
I used to dread having to get up for bathroom but had to stay hydrated.
This is the tough stuff, but Yay for BYE BYE Hip pain.
Healing hugs :roseshwr:

@AJinNH - Welcome to the First Day of the Rest of Your Life! Good for you to discover the intolerance to the pain meds before subjecting yourself to further nausea. How much Tylenol are they giving you? I was on Tyl. only by day 4 or 5 after getting so sick from the hydrocodone. :boohoo:And of course, because I'm an audio book fan, I must ask: What are you listening to?

@AJinNH, glad to hear you're doing well, the first few days are rough but it really gets better!

Hi @NanaMama they’ve given me 2 Tylenol, 325 mg each. They also added Maloxicam anti- inflammatory and will give me a script for Tramadol in case I need something stronger. The instructions are to eat something, even just a cracker if I need a Tramadol. It’s not supposed to be as upsetting as hydrocodone, but still has that potential. I’m hoping that I don’t have to go there. Speaking of going, they’ve also given me Colase and Miralax, and I’m happy to report that they’re working!

I’m listening to a Louise Penny audiobook, she has a crime/mystery series of a French Canadian detective, I’ve enjoyed her writing she has great characters and covers a lot of the French/Anglo roots of Quebec and also has created this quaint village with interesting people. This one is called The Beautiful Mystery. It’s several books into the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series. What do you like to listen to?

I just put the Series on my hold list as well! I'm listening to the Maggie Hope series by Susan Elia MacNeal right now.

@SaraK and @AJinNH - I'm starting The Broken Road series (Richard Paul Evans), but have also been listening to Terri Blackstock, Elin Hilderbrand and Cleo Coyle. Every now and then I find a Macomber, J.Patterson, or Nicholas Sparks I've not heard. Absolutely love Mary Kay Andrews! I will have to check out the Louise Penny and Susan Elia MacNeal availability!

Glad that the recovery is off to a good start, "AJ" - I've taken Meloxicam since early November, in fact I think I just ran out today. I was to take it 30 days after the surgery (today is 4 wks). Before I took that, I would take 1 naproxan daily (also anti-inflammatory) but I couldn't take them both. May need to go back to the naproxan as I noticed (long ago, when I'd run out....) pain in my knees w/o it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts