Air Travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faith

Someone told me that those of use with new and improved parts need a special ID to go through airport security. Does anyone know about this?
I travel to Buffalo once every month or two. ( I have a 3 month old grandson, who I can't stand being apart from)
The last thing I want to do is send off the bells and whistles going through security!
Faith

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_yup.jpg

At least in NYC, I was told that the baggage people do not accept the little card and make you go through screening. Perhaps it is only in NY; what else is new?

My friend had the same experience in NC.....they wouldn't take the card...she was xrayed..then she had to show her scar!

I was responsible for Airport Security when I retired from the Tall. Police Dept. I would be surprised if any TSA person accepted a card that said the bearer had any metal joint.
Those things could be fabricated and laminated by and a middle school student.
We face enough with just false Drivers licenses.
I would be ready to be scanned with a metal detector and show our scar if asked.
Though the TSA has tried to be standardized on their requirements. Recognize that the screening position doesn't allow a whole lot of judgement in the screening of passengers...Hope this helped.

The official position of Homeland Security and TSA is that those cards are worthless. They don't even want to see them. As was pointed out, they are easily fabricated, included those that have an actual photo of the traveler's own joint xray on them. You may as well just prepare and plan for the delay, since you WILL be pulled out for further examination. Good idea, too, to wear slip-on shoes that will be easy to put back on, since part of the search will be removing your shoes.

Yep, boots just don't do it. Get there early.

In the 12 years since my THR, I've flown many times and have never shown my card. The alarm never went off until after 9/11 and equipment got more sensitive. I've made the alarm go off each time since then and have been scanned each time. It is a nuisance but I'm glad they do it. There is not much of a delay; the staff is always nice and apologetic. At least we get to sit down in a chair to take off our shoes!

Gat if you ever fly in here, I'll arrainge a speciall cavity screening for you...

Well a road side check can be arranged too....Gotch ya...
No, we'll have to go down to the coast for a darn good seafood dinner. With cheese grits!!

When my husband and I fly he had a tkr 6 years ago and he has always set off the alarms and was pulled aside and scanned. He really likes it because while they were checking him I had to get all of our stuff together like our electronics and his wallet and anything else he had in his pocket and of course we carry tons of electronics like a dvd player and my digital camera and my laptop so I'm struggling with the stuff while he is sitting in a chair chatting with TSA and talking about his knee. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he realized I now had an artificial knee and I would be pulled out too so who is going to pick up the stuff. Haha it's his turn he better be fast.
Cathy

I asked my surgeon's office for the card, because I'd read on some TKR website about this. They said joint replacements are so common now, they don't bother giving those cards out anymore.

I flew from Seattle to Minneapolis in January, when I was 3 months post-surgery and my sister was 3 weeks post-surgery, to help her out. I made the x-ray machine beep, and they wanded me and patted me down. This happened on the way home, too. They were very nice about it, but I would say it added at least 15 minutes to my trip each way.

You will definitely want to plan extra time for getting through airports from now on.

Sue

You have to show your scar??? Does this mean a strip search or just raising a pant leg? I have to travel internationally soon and London is already a royal pain for the walk from terminal 3 to the one for British Midland... like 45 minutes at a good clip. I'm going to have to leave lots more time between flights. Josephine, any comments on what I might expect at Heathrow?

The good news is that my doctor wrote me a note stating I have to travel business class for medical reasons so I do get to travel in style for a change. My manager accepted it without question.

I guess that would depend on the type of pants you have on. Go loose and pull the leg up. Otherwise, like momma says, wear clean drawers!!!

I would still get the card. You can ask the airline to put you in a bulkhead row which is reserved for people that need more leg room.

TSA is all over the map on screening.

My aunt has a hip replacement. At the Seattle airport she set off the alarm and was screened by a woman TSA agent. As she was wearing an underwire bra she got a pat down as well as a leg scan..jeez

Link to TSA info

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1374.shtm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020