THR Ahipgma recovery

So tempting to keep going once you can. Hopefully the ice & meds will sort you out. Nice benefit to know how & when you can tweak meds and really understand how exactly they work.
Enjoy your sleepover with your mom, that should be fun! No matter how old we get, it's always nice when mom is looking after us.

So nice to get outside and away from the confines of our beds. Makes one feel almost human again. Not if I could just get a shower... :bawl:

My 80-year-old mother is coming to help me next week. Always nice to have the mom around, even if she can’t really help all that much.

Hang in there @ahipgma
You are doing just fine and your PT sounds lovely.
Can be hard to find our boundaries without overdoing it a tad.
I learned the hard way a few times:groan:
Hope today is a Good Day!:yes:

Happy Mothers Day!
Second morning I woke up thinking this leg is so stiff and annoying and then fully coming to and realizing its my left leg hurting more (the one still needing done)
Though of course the right one still a work in progress, but doing a little better each day.
I visit my OS this Thursday for follow up and nervous about getting my dressing off. I never asked what is under there!
Oh well guess I'll find out!
Think I'll premedicate with something good before...!

@ahipgma Do you know if you are having stitches or staples out. Or is it just a wound check. In any case it will be a none event. No need to "premedicate".

I agree with Jaycey, staples do not hurt enough coming out for extra medication. It's almost like a sharp itch being there and gone in 10 seconds. And if you do have staples you will start feeling better without them in my opinion. The new dressings are easier too - I remember them being much stickier and pulling much more 5 years ago than now.

It could also be glue, no stitches or staples. Agree with other posts on extra meds, it won't hurt but it will be a huge relief!

I’m jealous @ahipgma! I don’t get my staples out until next Tuesday. I’m so ready - I won’t be able to take a shower until they’re gone. Boy am I going to enjoy that shower.

My dressing is called Aquacel and you can shower with it Even 2 days out that shower felt so good! Wait till you take one when feeling much better!

2 weeks out today!
Going to see my OS tomorrow to get my dressing off, and report progress.
Opioids way down but still taking Celebrex and tylenol as prescribed every day.
Was talking to my SIL who is a geriatrician and was telling her I am deciding when to go for #2.
She said "oh, no you have to do it twice!"
Well, yeah.
I see so many here on the forum have had 2 done, it's just hard knowing you are not completely done right now.
If I have the second one done this calendar year we will save a lot of money with insurance and I am on my leave from my bedside nursing job.
I'd just like to get it all over with and move on.
My surgeon would not do 2 at once.
Any thoughts? I will find out tomorrow how close he is willing to do them
Would love to go in August.

Good luck with the OS tomorrow, hopefully you get a good report and hopefully he can get you set up to knock out that 2nd one when it works for you. Have a great rest of your day!
:SUNsmile:

Happy Two Week Anniversary!
Good luck at your post op visit tomorrow. Many experience two THR's within close proximity. I recall one woman had her two hips replaced a week apart. Had one done on a Friday and the other the following Friday. :bolt: I wouldn't have done it for a million dollars, but we're all different. A couple months apart seems to be as close as most surgeons will advise. I guess you'll find out tomorrow. If you're down for it though, I'd say get it done when you're able, putting it all behind you and moving forward with life. Let us know how your appt goes tomorrow.
A great rest of the week to you! :)
@ahipgma

@aphipgma I definitely agree to getting the second one done soon, if your OS goes for August, that gives you at least 2 months of recovery on your first one. I needed my second one done and waited 5 years to do it and it was a big mistake! It had gotten extremely painful over that time period and it slowed my recovery down because I had been limping the whole time! So if it's causing you problems now, have it done because it won't get any better on it's own! :yes:

Happy two weeks hip buddy! Can't wait to hear how your appointment with your OS goes. I was hoping to move up my appointment, but apparently my OS won't remove staples from hip patients until 2 1/2 weeks. Every surgeon is so different! He also doesn't want any of his patients to do any abduction until 6 weeks. I have no idea why...

It's amazing how much changes in just two short weeks. I can only imagine what we'll feel like in two months -- but I'm guessing you'd be well enough to have your other hip done. Hope your surgeon lets you get it over with sooner rather than later.

Have a fantastic day!

I've seen a lot of folks on the forum who have had their second replacement done approximately three months from the first, as they say their OS suggested to be the earliest he would do it.
That falls right in with your August timeline, I believe!:ok:
Last one and Done....:curtsey:

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback.
I actually saw something about 3 months
Apart on a review of my surgeon will just have to see what he thinks about me in particular

Figure my hip precautions will be done at 3 months and that will be my "good hip" by then
At least I know where I can come for positive vibes and good advice next time around!:SUNsmile:

My 2 week appointment went well, they were very pleased with me. The PA who was in the OR with me saw me.
Some surprises both good and not so good.
The not good
No sleeping on a side for four more weeks even with pillows--- I have never been a back sleeper.
Getting my dressing off was awful, I had an aquacel dressing on that you can shower with but that's because it's almost melded with your skin.
Ouch! But underneath I was only glued! No staples or anything. Sure felt good once it came off. They said the incision looked great and then they slapped steri strips on it so I still can't see it. (Had a posterior mini done mini being 8 inches ..hmmm.)
They said as long as I am off the narcotics I can drive!!! Going to make sure I feel comfortable doing so with a few short trips with my husband in the car first.
I am on tylenol and Celebrex and aspirin at this point just a half a 50 mg tramadol at night.
As many have said I was told I can't get the other hip done for at least 3 months. Targeting September if he'll do it.
Got an excuse to be off work till my June appointment-- don't think hip precautions and floor nursing work too well any way.
The PA said she said I'm past the worst of my pain, also said she feels that the risk of dislocation is low for me but to be good anyway.
I can only hope no 2 goes as well -- the one needing done now bothers me almost as much as the one that was done-- the post OP pain for me not being as bad as that darn bone on bone.

This last post is encouraging me so much! If you are this close to surgery - close enough to remember the worst and too close to get all the benefit from the treatment - and you are in a hurry to do it again (!) - then you’ve done a remarkable job of convincing me everything is going to go pretty well!

:hi:
So glad to hear you are doing well.
I've just been checking up on @trenna who is recovering from Hip #2 that she had replaced three months from Hip #1
She is doing just great!
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018