Age 45 TKR in September. SCARED!

Hey fellow youngin’! I’m 45 too and totally freaking out about my surgery on July 23! I had total knee ligament and cartilage reconstruction in 1990 and was lucky to go on and do lots of cool things in the Army, become a triathlete, and had many years teaching aerobics. Unfortunately all those years took a toll on that knee and now I have arthritis and bone spurs throughout. I fell a few weeks back doing some Army training and the OS I was referred to seemed very comfortable about a TKR...basically that is the only thing I can do to provide longevity to my good leg! I have no pain or swelling a few weeks after my fall, but I am still going through with the surgery, as my knee has turned valgus as well....

For us, it’s not an “age” it’s a “mindset”! We are not too young to become bionic and we will do this together!!!
I am going to watch for your posts after your surgery next week! Please be honest as I am totally having second thoughts!!

You haven't yet told us what is causing you second thoughts. If you did, we could help you to put it all in perspective.
I'm really looking forward to my second TKR, there are so many things I want to get back to doing. I'm totally, utterly, absolutely fed up with it.
I'm already 71, and want to get back to behaving like a 51 year old, instead of 91

Tykey is exactly right. Share your thoughts with us and I bet we could help.
I know I was nervous just at the concept of surgery since tkr was my first but so eager to have the knee fixed at the same time.
The first time I stood in the hospital I could tell the knee was strong and stable--unlike how it was when I walked into the hospital.

As tykey said, please tell us more about your concerns so we can be specific in our answers.
I'm only 2 weeks post op and I am already so happy with my new knee. It already bends better and hurts less than my other knee, and I can't wait to have surgery on Sept 4 to replace that one too. I'm getting my life back!

Hi @mtsumomm22 - I will totally keep you posted. I plan on starting a recovery thread next week after surgery. I have second thoughts, but I am trying not to let them take over my first thoughts - lol!:loll:

I also had second thoughts........and thirds...........and fourths........... But deep down inside I knew I had to bite the bullet and do it. The people here got me through the kangaroos jumping in my stomach, and I got it done. We're here for you and will help get you through the pre-op jitters as we've all been there and understand. Let us know how we can help and we will do everything we can to support and comfort you, and hopefully calm those fears you're having.

There are 2 things that really have me worried...

1. THE PAIN! :holysheep:
2. Am I too young???:unsure:

You are having surgery because you are having pain and it gets worse every day. After surgery there may be some discomfort and after the first week it gets better over time ( though not linearly.. there are good days and bad days and on the good days we sometimes overdo which leads to bad days)
I had an open menisectomy in 1971 after a ski accident. I was told then that by age 45 I would be in a wheelchair.. ( TKR s were first done in 1968 but pretty unheard of in 1971). And to enjoy life before I became a cripple.

I lasted a good longer than that.
After my TKR there was no pain the first day ( there is a block they do) and the second day is uncomfortable but that's when they are finding out what pain relievers work for you.. I got something that worked, went home and frankly ice took care of any discomfort.. PT came to my house and on the third day we walked about 1000 feet,after that just more walking.. I never finished my first script of Dilaudid and turned it in to the cops. Not much discomfort

However I did go to dinner out two weeks to the day after surgery. Dinner was fine... The play after dinner was long and I was seated in a folding chair.. Not fine.. not a great idea! We had an hour ride home too. I did not have ice with me.. ( nor would I have used it likely as it was cold out!) The next day was the worst.. I could have planned this better.. either a play in a comfy seat OR dinner.

Still I was OK to drive a month post surgery and the drive was three hours each way which I did with a stop for a stretch and walkabout.

oh yes I am still skiing post TKR.

Josephine put some articles about the( persistent) myth of being too young here on the site somewhere..

My second knee is due to be fitted on Sept 5th (the day after kneepers).

I went in the hospital doors with pain and discomfort, came out with no pain (great painkillers), just a bit of discomfort. The second one? Can't wait, bring it on, I can handle this, no problem. Even if this one has a bit of pain, it's only temporary, not endless.

Too young? I always anticipated (thanks to this lot) that knees will last 25 years. I was 61 when I had my first, so I expected to be 86 before I would worry. 96 with the second one. Will I still be around when I'm 86, never mind 96!! Will my knees be my biggest problem? Probably not.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!!! (Is that just a British saying?)

Good luck, a positive attitude will see you through it.

There are 2 things that really have me worried...

2. Am I too young???:unsure:

1. Yes, you will have some pain, but it should be well controlled by medication.
In addition, this pain is going to decrease every day, while your current pain is going to increase, unless you have your knee replaced.

2. No, you're not too young. We've had people on here in their forties and even in their thirties who have had successful knee replacements.

Whether or not you have a knee replacement should depend on the state of your knee, not on your age.
Nowadays, a knee replacement can last for 30+ years, so there's no need to worry about possibly needing multiple revisions.

I was told I had to wait until I was "old enough" for a knee replacement. I waited for 9 long, painful years, My pain increased and my activity gradually decreased, until I was almost housebound. Why inflict that on yourself?

These are the only ways in which you are too young:
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.

@mtsumomm22 I was told at age 43 I was too young, so I tried another type of surgery to extend the life of my knee for 5-10 yrs. It failed after 2 yrs, and that was with a VERY painful (excruciating,actually!!!) recovery and brutal PT. It consumed over a year of my life, resulting in 4 procedures to walk normally again. IN the end, I should have just had the stupid TKR. My TKR surgeon this May had to deal with the aftermath of that 2015/16 mess when he opened my knee up. It wasn't pretty, and he had even told me beforehand I was sold a bill of goods with that big surgery, as there was little to no chance of success at my age of 43.

I was simply too scared to do a TKR at 43. Plus I was lied to by my sports surgeon, saying I was too young and it would fail in 5 yrs because of my age and activity level. If ONLY I had known then what I do now, and I make it a point to tell all of the "young 'uns" on here this story.

I could have had my life back 3.5 yrs ago. :hissy::headbang: Instead, it's been 5 more procedures, with the last being the TKR that was coming down the line anyway.

I'm not saying it doesn't hurt at first, it does, but even that first night getting out of bed to the commode, it hurt different. Now, after just 4 weeks, I can officially say my right knee hurts significantly more in the joint than the new left. I am counting the days until I can get the next one replaced in September.

If you are already in debilitating, grinding, burning pain every day from the state of your current knee, then you have nothing to lose.

These are the only ways in which you are too young:
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.
Well said. I agree completely. I'm older than you, but only a little bit. I want my life back.

Your age: not too young. Why be in pain why you wait to be older? My surgeons told me not to wait as it can cause us to get more debilitated making rehabilitation harder.

Pain: unless you’re lucky like me, you’ll have pain. Find out from your surgeon before surgery what pain med he is planning to send you home with. Ask how many and what the dosage is. Then, figure out worst case scenario if you took the maximum amount in the least amount of time, how long would they last? Then, ask if you get a refill and if yes, how do you get that? Does the script get called or faxed over or does someone have to pick it up in person? If the latter, who can do that?

Do you tend to get sick on narcotics? If yes, ask for the patch behind your ear plus anti nausea meds in your IV.
Also, ask for a script for them to take home.

Ask if it’s possible to have the scripts filled at the hospital. They offered that to me and it was great...my husband didn’t have to leave to drop it off and pick it up.

Ice will be your best friend. I tried an ice pack but my Cryo Cuff motorized ice machine was better for me.

But it will happen. Millions of TKRs are done every year; wouldn't be so if it didn't work.
Pre-op pain is bad, crippling, horrible, demoralising, and only gets worse. Post-op is exactly the same, maybe worse, except for the last bit.

Except for the last bit? That is, pain only gets BETTER.

One's condition post-op is often worse than pre-op for a few days or up to a MONTH later. One has to learn to roll with the punch, to relax, take medication, let the body do its thing and heal. It will do this all on its own. And a month is NOTHING compared with what you've had already (and really it's probably only a week or two, month is worst case).

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88