Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR After 2nd TKR

henrietta

Country
France France
Well, home yesterday 4 days after 2nd TKR in french hospital. All went well, had some morphine tablets for 2 days due to pain thus rather sleepy. Felt good yesterday so sadly overconfident and probably overdid it, and only took paracetamol, not the extra painkillers prescribed. Did apply ice.
Woke at 3.30 am in pain so had to take more pain relief and reapply ice. (Dear husband woke and brought it to me) So let that be a lesson!. Go to see kine (kind of physio) this afternoon. Hope to sleep again soon.....

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @henrietta - and :welome: to recovery again.

Since this is your second TKR, it's OK to have a new thread for it, so please write your updates on this thread.

It sounds as if things are going well.

Here are the recovery guidelines, to remind you how we recommend you approach recovery:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

sistersinhim

Country
United States United States
Good luck with your first PT visit. Let us know how it goes.

loneshark64

Country
Good luck! Take it easy and take the meds consistently!

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Thank you Celle, sistersinhim and loneshark64. I’ve made sure I’m more consistent with the meds, and kept using the ice, so all well there. Appt with kinesthérapeutiste (similar to physio, or PT) not so good. Waited 40 minutes to be seen then appt of 20 minutes mostly taken up with admin type questions, and a little advice. Back the next day, not feeling very well. After nearly half an hour tried to ask receptionist if I’d got the right time. Difficult as my french (I’m in France) not good. She got the man who launched into a long diatribe about how he was a busy professional etc etc (as far as I could understand) I tried to tell him I too had been a busy professional (I was a speech and language therapist) and knew what it was like. However by now I felt his communication skills and patient care were not good and so we agreed to part. This episode upset me and therefore my husband, so it was not a good morning, except that two good friends (one french, one English) came to visit and that improved the day.
Relieved to say that I now have an appointment with my ’old’ kine. We had limitations in our verbal communication too, but it was never a problem. Last year I also found online exercises from an English hospital which were very helpful, as of course is this site in giving lots of advice and reassurance, thank you to you all.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I’m so sorry you had a disappointing experience with a professional you hoped would help you. :console2:

We’ll be here to help and support you the best we can.

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Thank you Jockette for your message and support. This site is a great support, and I’m relieved that my post about the bad experience wasn't lost when the server went down!
Yesterday I went to see my former Kine, and although our communication is limited by my poor french, all went well, I did several exercises and had a full three quarters of an hour there and the paperwork (with him, no receptionist) only took a few minutes. There’s a nice atmosphere and everyone is friendly. He said my knee and it’s ROM are fine. He didn’t measure it, and I’m not worrying about it.
At the moment (10 to 9 and I’m sitting up in bed) I have ice on my knee, but it’s my ankles which ache as much as anything. Thank you again to everyone for the support.

Country
Goodness! That had to be hard initially dealing bureaucratic delays with boss-talking too in the context of a language barrier too! Good you've connected with your former 'Kine'. You can go online to find help with some in-bed and in the home PT/ Physio stuff. See what your Kine and surgeons says about your findings for PT on your own before you do anything of course.

It is still so early in your recovery so be gentle to yourself and brand new knee. Pain and discomfort varies from surgery to surgery and all about the leg, knee and and ankle I have learned.

Last edited:

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
See what your Kine and surgeons says about your findings for PT on your own before you do anything of course.
It's your knee, @henrietta, so you are the only one with the right to say what happens to it. While your surgeon and a Kine may advise, you also have the right to decide whether or not to accept their advice.

You don't need anyone's permission to approach PT in the way that seems best to you and your knee.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Country
No problem H. Perhaps I may have seemed overly cautious. As Celle stated you do have the 'right' to decide on advise. Goodness knows I've modified a few of my PT suggestions, discovered a few of my own exercises that fit my custom needs/ abilities etc. My PT is grand to respect my reasoning as we've gone forth.

Such as my early refusals to be placed on my stomach for any PT! I'm self aware enough about my former spinal issues to not do that - needing no ones permission. We found work around towards my flexion.

Great news on breakfast prep too. It will get better and better!
Please keep us posted and THINK SPRING! :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Enjoyed my lunch out yesterday, able to get to the nearby ladies without crutches. Tired when I came home of course. Using ice at night but not much in the day. half staples out tonight I think. Wedding anniversary tomorrow so it might be lunch out again!

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Half staples out yesterday, didn’t go out today as husband mowing lawn (big lawn, 70 degrees today, growing fast) I did a bit of seated ironing and walking in house without crutches. Slept late pm.

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Thank you Helizabug.
yesterday was sunny and we went for a drive to a bar through beautiful countryside. Not too painful even though we went in the Mazda MX5 and some of the roads are not to good.
staples all out now, meds reduced but still icing at night. Woke with a little pain at 5.30.
Had another sleep after paracetamol, more ice, and weetabix.
Nurse seemed to think I wouldn’t be taking meds any more. Surely some paracetamol is advisable. I’m not pain free yet.

Lindylee

post-grad
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
We have an MX5 too! How did you find getting in and out of it? I'm not sure I'd manage it yet.

As for the meds, take them as long as you need to. I'm continuing with 6 hourly paracetemol at present. I decided last week to try cutting down and pain increased so I went back on them. I think I'll try cutting down to 1 tablet on alternate doses when I feel ready rather than ditching them completely.

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Lindylee, with care I got in and out ok. Took my crutches with me though (in the boot!)
It’s a lovely easy car to drive isn’t it? (I wasn’t driving!). We had an older classic car which was my husbands pride and joy but when he got to 72 it was just more of a worry and difficult for us to get in and out of so this is a good alternative.
Taking 500mg paracetamol morning and evening, only just reduced from 1000, and will put it up again if I feel the need.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Is that like a Miata? My cousin has a Miata, and, before my surgery, I could barely get comfortable with my knee!

OP
OP
H

henrietta

Country
France France
Sorry, don’t know what a Miata is. Before the Mazda we had a 1970 MG Midget, which is a very small car, seemed to get smaller as we got older (or perhaps it was us?) and harder to get in and out. No inertia reel seat belts, adjusting the seat and belts if I drove wasn’t easy and putting the roof up and down difficult too.
Today we’re going out for lunch and Kine (physio) in the Mazda again, still taking crutches.
My dressing is now off, but my back aches now !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Insuralife
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom