Lounge Doctor

Affordable Care Act - USA

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My right knee was "grinding" and intercondylar spiking is noted in the tibia. Also loose body in lateral aspect of femur.
My best guess is that one or both implants are loose. And spikes are bone spurs - sure sign of ongoing arthritic changes. Loose body could be a broken off bone spur. Have you had any sharp pains in your knee lately?
He said, "Go to India."
That comment tells me you should go to another surgeon! Anyone who actually recommends going to India should struck off!
Are others put off until they can't walk?
Sadly yes though it might be for a variety of reasons - administrative, organisational, funding. None of them are sympathetic to the patient.
I'll have to check how to send a PM.
Why? Is there something you think you're not able to ask in the forum?

There are a few reasons I ask people not to use pms
1. by discussing in private message, the information you want to share is removed from public view
2. this deprives other members and our multitude of guests of information they might desperately be seeking
3. having such information available to all is that makes this forum as successful as it is

liucheang

Country
United States United States
@Jamie As you probably know, one of the front runners of the presidential candidates in the US has sworn to get rid of the ACA! That would take health insurance away from millions of Americans. This is very scary indeed!

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
i think the ACA needs tweaking but not taken away. Hopefully no matter who wins the election, we will have a better syatem.

liucheang

Country
@Knitter4444 He said he will appeal the ACA entirely! Mr. Tru*p made it extremely clear when Anderson C. asked him on stage about the ACA. Tru*p said on TV that he will allow the insurance companies to deny people with pre existing conditions health insurance! Trum* said that his health reform is far better than ACA( Obamacare). But even if it is generally better for those who are healthy enough to work and have group health insurance, it will allow insurance companies to kick out the people who have pre pre existing conditions in order to save healthy people money . That would include people with joint replacements, diabetics, sick people, even ppl with cancer! How is a cheaper and " better" insurance policy going to help us if the insurance companies are allow to deny us coverage if we have a pre existing condition? BTW, asthma, ulcers and IBS are also pre existing conditions. Google reliable resources on his policy. It is well documented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knitter4444

Forum Advisor
Country
I am not doubting you. I am very much against the guy with the yellow hair. I am just saying that hopefully the system can be tweaked so that it works better for all. There are stlll issues that need fixing.
I have many pre existing issues. So I know personally about the impact that disolving the ACA would mean. What we need to do is make sure we all vote and share our ideas with people who may not believe as we do. I am trying to keep restrained with my thoughts. I know that the puwers that be at BoneSmart wotld not want political discord here.
Please dont stress yourself out about this. Best that we can do is open our mouths and let people know about the ramifications if the yellow hair guy wins. I dont mind posting more but being so careful. BTW..I teach this subject. I am concerned but trying to be politically correct on here.

skigirl

omega
Country
I don't think you need to worry about this. The president of a republic like ours is not a king, he cannot repeal anything on his own. He would have to have the support of Congress. That is why we have the three systems of government---legislative, judicial and executive. Remember the checks and balances that we learned about in 5th grade?? Now, they come into play---all political candidates have made many promises but really, they are not able to fill those promises without the support of both parties in Congress. We all know that it will take a while and there will be many, many changes before anything happens. So, right now just worry about today and how you are healing.

liucheang

Country
@skigirl But in the US, both the senate and the house of rep are controlled by The same party and likely to remain so. They are in the same party with the guy with the yellow hair. So all he has to do is to sign a repeal of the ACA if placed on his desk. Only if he wins, of course.

The ACA is not perfect. But it's the far better than having nothing .

skigirl

omega
Country
But also remember that Congress is elected. and voters in this country let their representatives know what they want. I believe in our country and that many congressmen and senators---no matter their party will have to vote their conscience. But most of all, there is time for us to sit and wait and most importantly--VOTE!!!

I believe in the citizens of this country and coming from a rural state like Montana---there are an awful lot of folks who have been helped by ACA. It is not over till the fat lady sings!!!

julesglass

graduate
Country
I understand this is for the affordable health care, however I have questions about financial assistance while recovering. I have insurance through the National Guard as my late husband was a retiree. I have no savings other than my 401 through my employer. Is there any assistance in this area? I'm scared that I will have to borrow on my retirement plan.

skigirl

omega
Country
If your doctor writes a script for Home Health---a nurse will come to your home twice a week and a PT will also come twice a week. You can hire someone for about $30 an hour to do assistance too through the home health.

I called the Council on AGing in our area and they had a list of caregivers who had been vetted and had had a background check. It was a long list and listed what each person would do---house cleaning, cooking simple meals, helping with showers, personal care, lawn care, etc. In Montana, the people work for between $11 and $15 an hour.

Also remember, you will not be an invalid. If you make a lot of meals before hand and stock up the freezer you really should be able to manage on your own. Some folks who live alone go to a rehab facility for two weeks. Again, check with your doctor about that too. But plenty of people on BoneSmart have managed while living alone.

Do you have friends or member of your church who will bring over an occasional dinner and help a little? I did not need help to shower (have a shower chair) but, it might be nice to have someone in the house while you do so so that you do not worry about falling.

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
A reminder to those of you who have posted in regard to our upcoming election and how it relates to the Affordable Care Act: Political discussions are not appropriate for this thread. This thread topic, as Kelly indicated, is for the purpose of discussing how the Affordable Care Act works in its current form. And I also remind you all to be respectful when addressing anyone, including candidates for political office.

julesglass

graduate
Country
I understand what you are saying Jamie. I don't want to disrupt anything. I just thought if someone read this thread and had some info on assistance it could ease my concern.

OP
OP
Jamie

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@julesglass.....there was no problem with your post.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Coach Mike
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom