THR Advice Welcome

Sunnytimesahead

Country
United States United States
Hi all! Several month lurker here and have learned tremendously from all the Bonesmart smarties. I had left TKR on 5/26/20 due to severe arthritis stemming from teenage track injury. Did the 3days/week with aggressive PT pushing that knee back which only added swelling, which in turn, delayed any progress and a talk of MUA. Thank goodness for a Covid scare(??) requiring me to quarantine and my knee's flexion jumped up to 120. Needless to say, I ended PT after that.

I started walking more and concentrating on my gait my hip when began to act up. Now dr through X-rays said it is bone-on-bone and probably is "bruising bone" at this point. Very painful walking even with cane, and sleep deprivation is my enemy. Steroid shot had no effect. Surgeon said if I was ready "emotionally" for this surgery so soon after TKR, we could schedule it. I am scheduled for 12/15/20 for right THR. I was told replaced knee is strong enough to compensate for bad hip side but even now it's swelling quite a bit from being overworked.

What I am not emotionally ready for is with being on the cane with this hip my left shoulder has gone downhill tremendously in the past 6 weeks or so. I don't have an MD by my name but I really feel like it is bone-on-bone right now. (pain upon raising, can't sleep on left side, and now has a grinding sound upon certain movements).

Sorry for the long post. Other than the above mentioned joint issues (and about 30 lbs overweight), I've been blessed with good health my life. Always been a strong, confident woman that is familiar with hard farm work, but that "woman" seems far away at this point. I haven't told anyone about my shoulder I believe mainly because I haven't wanted to accept that fact myself. :sad:

Also, I didn't know whether to post this in which specific forum - knee, hip or shoulder!! Looks like I'm a tri-forum type of girl. :chinstroke:

Hello @Sunnytimesahead - and :welome:

I've started a thread for you in the Knee Surgery Recovery Area, where you can talk about your knee replacement. That means that, at the moment, you'll have two threads on the go, one for your hip and one for your knee.
Later on, if your shoulder becomes more problematic, you could also start a thread in the Shoulder Surgery area.

I advised you in the knee thread that I would go ahead and get the hip replacement done in December, before your shoulder deteriorates any further. Hip replacement recovery is slightly easier than knee replacement recovery, so you may not need to use your shoulder for as long to support your walking.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for hip surgery:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

I am sorry your joints are not being cooperative and ganging up on you. The hip recovery is easier than the knee so hopefully will not add to your shoulder issues.

Sleep deprivation makes life more difficult of course and I did suffer from that before my hip replacements as I could not find a comfortable position and it hurt to move around.

I am glad you came out of the lurker mode and are sharing here. I found so much support here through all my joint issues and replacements. I hope your day is a peaceful one.

Can't comment about a TKR, I've had knee surgery for scraping cartilage but I hope that's the last of that. I'm 2 THR's in and I'm typing this with 1 eye as I had cataract surgery this afternoon. My shoulders have given me problems but not anywhere near enough to have any procedures. So far I've found with them that doing some basic movements seem to keep them flexible enough.
The THR will remove that horrid bone on bone pain that gets inflamed and keeps you up at night. As for PT my OS warned against it and promoted me doing simple movements and walking and it worked just fine.
All the hard work reminds me of the question asked in the song. Work your fingers to the bone and what do you get? Boney fingers.

@Sunnytimesahead I certainly can relate with feeling like I've lost that strong, confident woman. I'm hoping she's hiding somewhere. I feel like I've been living less than for quite a while because of the pain. I hope you are up and at 'em soon.:dancy:

Always been a strong, confident woman that is familiar with hard farm work, but that "woman" seems far away at this point.
I had the same feelings post both THRs. But I can confirm you will get back to that strong, confident woman. I muck out stables and tend to animals daily after having both hips replace. All this is temporary!

Gulp, surgery is scheduled tomorrow for my new painfree (I hope) hip. So thankful even with Covid shutdowns that I'm able to get this done even if I am required to do it outpatient. My surgeon stated Friday that he would classify it as a collapsed hip, which explains why I'm so immobile due to pain. So ready to get to the recovery side.

I've managed to stay in a relatively nonanxiety state of mind. Having gone through TKR in May, I know what to expect this time as far as the surgery and the recovery. But, just this morning, I found out my almost 92 year old mom has Covid, and I feel like a nervous wreck. I'm 4 hours away from her and I know she's scared and lives alone. She is in very good health and no underlying conditions but I'm still scared for her myself. I called in a delivery for her for supplies but other than that I feel very hopeless.

Trying to calm myself. Breath in, breath out.

:SUNsmile:Sunny :SUNsmile: Times :SUNsmile: Ahead :SUNsmile:
:yes: Yep...here comes the sun!

I‘m very sorry to hear the news about your mom. :prayer:Prayers your mom gets the care she needs to weather this storm and that it passes quickly. They‘ve come a long way in treating the virus over the past nine months. Try to take comfort in that. I hope she has someone nearby to look in on her.
Just think, you’ll be on the road to recovery beginning tomorrow. You’ll be able to communicate and stay connected with your mom and begin healing in the comfort of your home. Wishing you and your mom only the best.
@Sunnytimesahead

Thank you so much, Layla. I very much appreciate your kind words, prayers and wishes. I need all the sunshine in my life possible right now.

My surgeon stated Friday that he would classify it as a collapsed hip, which explains why I'm so immobile due to pain.
My first THR was on a collapsed hip. Give yourself time to heal - it will be a longer recovery as you need to deal with getting your mobility back.

Please focus on getting to the other side of your surgery. Sending positive thought for both you and your Mom!

@Jaycey, hopefully, our shared collapsed hips and farm work don't go hand-in-hand with each other. I'm hoping genetics played a bigger part in it than my work on the farm.

Thank you for your kind words.

Gulp, surgery is scheduled tomorrow for my new painfree (I hope) hip. So thankful even with Covid shutdowns that I'm able to get this done even if I am required to do it outpatient. My surgeon stated Friday that he would classify it as a collapsed hip, which explains why I'm so immobile due to pain. So ready to get to the recovery side.

I've managed to stay in a relatively nonanxiety state of mind. Having gone through TKR in May, I know what to expect this time as far as the surgery and the recovery. But, just this morning, I found out my almost 92 year old mom has Covid, and I feel like a nervous wreck. I'm 4 hours away from her and I know she's scared and lives alone. She is in very good health and no underlying conditions but I'm still scared for her myself. I called in a delivery for her for supplies but other than that I feel very hopeless.

Trying to calm myself. Breath in, breath out.
This is Tuesday and I have kept you in my heart all day. I pray that the surgery has gone well. I know you have great concern for your mom. Prayers for you now and in the days to come. Please keep us posted.

Thank goodness I can head over to the recovery side now!

Surgery yesterday at 7:30 and out the door by. 4:00. Surgery went well, still had nausea/vomiting but not as severe as last surgery in May. Making sure I'm taking anti-nausea med w/pain med (tramadol/Tylenol route). Few Oxy I took didn't stay down. Elevating/icing/short walks and my bed is my plan of attack today.

I swear I'm rid of that awful bone-on-bone pain and it's mainly the incision/healing pain now! Life is good.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back