Advice please for a good London knee consultant

flypast

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am new to this site and impressed by the quality of advice and support offered here.

I am nearing 60 and have been largely immobile following an injury to my knee 4wks ago. My MRI report confirms a patella subluxation, a MPFL high-grade tear, and damage to the cartilage between my patella and femur. I have also had severe swelling and a haemarthrosis with 60ml blood aspirated and, although the swelling and pain is now slightly reduced, I am still unable to bend my knee (which is locked straight and feels as though something is preventing normal tracking).

I dislocated the same knee as a teenager but made a swift recovery and, although I’ve struggled with my knees for years, I’m finding this experience debilitating and worrying (not being able to work and requiring much help from others). The doctor I have seen at my local hospital is known for hips rather than knees and has not explained my diagnosis or treatment options other than referring me for physio in the first instance.

I really want to be able to talk through the detail of my injury, symptoms, and treatment options with an experienced and skilled knee consultant and, with the NHS so clearly stretched, find myself prepared to pay for a private consultation if necessary to do so. I live in north London and would appreciate advice on how to go about finding and making an appointment with a good knee consultant near me, who could then carry out any surgery (if required) on the NHS.

With many thanks

I’ll tag @Josephine for you. She is our nurse director and also lives in the UK. She definitely knows about a great many surgeons, so might be able to help you.

Your poor knee has been through quite a lot! :console2:

How far are you prepared to travel? I can recommend someone in SW London.

Thank you SusieShoes (and for cute emojis!)
It would be great to hear from Josephine in UK if possible.
Best wishes

flypast, my expertise in finding good chaps like this are generally confined to joint replacement surgery.
You really need a good trauma surgeon and that I can't help you with. Jaycey lived in London and might well actually know somebody good. It's been a canny few years since I trod those hallowed streets!

@Jaycey who had you in mind?

Asked the question earlier - are you prepared to travel? The surgeon I am familiar with is an expert in trauma.

Thank you very much for your replies Josephine and Jaycey.
Yes, I’m happy to travel, and very appreciative of any leads.
Many thanks

Mr Philip Mitchell is Medical Director of Southwest London Elective Orthopaedic Surgery unit in Epsom. But he also has private practice in several hospitals around the Surrey area. I worked with him previously but also have a former colleague who just had her TKR done by him. Her recovery has been very positive.

I used the private route for both my THRs. Saw the consultant as a private patient and then got on the NHS list for surgery. It can be a bit of a struggle if your GP doesn't cooperate. But just stand firm about what you want. It's your right as a patient.

Let us know how you get on.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom