TKR Advice on letter to Dr given the day of Surgery

Susu123

Country
United States United States
Hi I am not sure if this is the correct place:
I am having TKR July 20th and would like to be listed.
Right knee.
Left knee was done two years ago.

Hello @Susu123 - and :welome:

I have added your name to the July Sparklers surgery list, where you will be able to see who else is having surgery around the same time as you are.

I've made a signature for you, but please will you tel us the full date your left knee was replaced too, so we can add that to your signature? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

:wave: @Susu123 Good luck for your forthcoming surgery, we are here if you have any pre-op queries xxx

Thank you my friends- I do have some pre-op inquires and I know I’ll need support.
I’m terrified to go through this again. The thing that is creating the most distress is The Left Knee - that had the previous surgery August 2017 is acting up a bit.
Which is freaking me out. I tell myself - “don’t go there” - get through the surgery and see where things are“—-But you can see my Mind is going to the catastrophic.
This is what I tell myself to calm myself down. “Get through the surgery- recovery and then you will reassess. The knee that was replaced Has been carrying some extra stress while you wait for the surgery- and you can figure that out when your done with the new right knee replacement,”. So my question is:Has anyone else ever experience this.
Get ready for dealing with me a lot- I’m really scared and will need help– I’ve been on the forum and have looked over the material and will incorporate the new information about not overdoing PT. Big mistake last time I think...... Thank you all for being there.

If you read through the pre-op threads you will see what you are feeling is very common. The "good" side is taking all the weight while you are trying to stay off your bad knee. Are you using any walking aid (cane, crutch or walker)?

I'm in good shape and don't need the cane, But wow- is it acting up.... I walk - do 30 minutes of biking and the basic knee prep exercises.-but maybe you are right and the left knee is just taking up more slack. For me it's a mental game- I feel like I'm finding something to WORRY about. I've got three days of waiting till the surgery on Monday.
The reality is the replaced knee for two years has been basically good to me. Sometime tight band feeling- above the knee- sometimes this or that- but the leg is strong- and pain is minimal. I sometime don't think I'm aware of how I'm compensating- but I find the "good replaced knee pain - messes with my mind- most of all.....Thanks for understanding and helping.

I think if you will try the cane, you'll find that it helps to take some of that extra load off your replaced knee, and that could help it to feel more comfortable. It's worth a try.

Thanks I'll try the cane. Doing a bit better today- low key on activity- Three days till the surgery.
I did check with Doc- and she was not concerned. So just keep going here.....I wanted to feel stronger going into this- but it is what it is. thanks again

My surgery is this Monday at 8:30 AM. I want to give this note to the Doctor - or to a staff member prior to the surgery....
Any thoughts.. Or any advice to me personally about this.

Dear Doctor

I called your office last week to tell them about the pain in my REPLACED LEFT KNEEI and I wanted to update you on that- so that you can assess today to see if there is any cause for concern: Or if you have any recommendations for anything I should or should not do as I am in recovery from this RIGHT KNEE replacement today.

The area where the Left Knee is most tender is mostly in the posterior/medial area. Near the Tibia/Fibia juncture. The pain is usually localized- about the size of a silver dollar and it sometimes feels as if I have a cut or wound in the back of the knee where the knee bends. There were a couple of days where the pain was more generalized in the knee and around the patella.

Since calling the office, I have been resting it more and icing- and there has been a slight improvement.

Thank you for your continued care.

Hi there!

Here are a couple of items you could consider for your letter:

I'm not sure what you want the doctor to do with the information. You might want to be super specific about that.

Also, for clarification, I would add the date of your left procedure (in parenthesis) and the date of your right procedure (in parenthesis).

Good luck!

@Susu123 , you said yesterday that you had checked with your doctor and she was not concerned.
What action do you want your surgeon to take on receiving your letter? Do you want him/her to look at your left knee while you are in theatre?
Or to suggest the cause of your pain?

By the way, you said this:
The area where the Left Knee is most tender is mostly in the posterior/medial area. Near the Tibia/Fibia juncture.
The tibia-fibula junction is at the lateral (outer) area of your knee, not the medial (which is closer to your other leg).

You said that you have been using a stick to help your left leg take some of the extra load and that has brought about some improvement. To me, that indicates that you've found the cause of your original extra pain. Your left leg will probably complain again for a while, until your right leg heals enough to take its fair share of the load, so don't give up the walking aids too quickly. Don't forget that while you are elevating and icing your new right knee, you will also be able to elevate and ice your left knee. That should help it.

@Susu123 - Since both your threads are basically about the same subject, I have merged them.

If you have a question for your surgeon, you need to just make a note for yourself and then ask the doctor on Monday. Your surgeon will come around to talk with you prior to the operation and you can ask your question then. It's much better to ask in person rather than depend on a staff member to give the note to the surgeon or hand them something to read. Just ask - and be very direct. Say something like:

My left TKR knee that was replaced in August of 2017 still has some pain (point to the pain area and describe the pain). I'm concerned about trying to recover from my right TKR with a painful left knee. Can you offer any tips or guidance for me? Will I be okay?

Thank you everybody for the input- it all makes sense. I will incorporate it all into something that makes sense for my situation. My fear and anxiety are less today- which is helping as I move towards tomorrow. At this time tomorrow - Monday- it will most likely all be over and I’ll be in recovery- and posting on the Post-OP Forum.
Thanks for being out there one and all.

All the best tomorrow @Susu123 ! See you on the other side soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom