TKR Advice for Round 2

Sara61

Staff member since March 23, 2020
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Portugal Portugal
Would appreciate advice from those who have been there/done that on their 2nd knee what have you done differently from your first surgery.
I'm now awaiting a surgery date for my right knee, although I'm not as nervous as the 1st time round there is still a inkling of doubt and anxiety :scaredycat:
I'm hoping that having a positive attitude will help me get a good outcome as my 1st surgery, although recovery did take a good 12 months and the clicking is still present that the best I can pray for the right knee too x

I had my first TKR 11 years ago so things were a bit different this time than before. Last time was a robot-assist and this time I believe the robot did most of the surgery. Last time I had a CPM machine, this time not. Taking aspirin this time post-op so I am able to take Advil. I think this time I am taking less narcotics than the first time. I had a nerve blocker this time too with a small ball of medicine that automatically was released into my leg to deaden the nerve going across the top of my knee.

You know what to expect this time so that is good. You might have forgotten just how painful it can be (I had) so keep on top of the meds and you should be fine. Don't try to be a hero and get off your meds too soon, you will need them. Take it slow, realize you will take awhile to recover and let your body do what it knows how to do: heal

@Susie-Q thanks for that, yes I'm hoping that having had it done before, it will be easier this time round at least I know what works and what to ask for, the dreaded pain, I know will be not great..we seem to have a very short memory in that respect, but as I have a good strong left knee hopefully my right will be just as good, it will be the same surgeon/private hospital doing the operation. Today I received confirmation that the op will be at the end of November :flabber: at least by the Spring I'll hopefully be walking again :praying: now I need to start reading my past posts and getting my house/home in order at least its the winter months so quite nice to be stuck at home, plenty of time to relax and heal and I will do it the BoneSmart way x

Hi Sara61! So you, too, are headed for #2, which I just did 5 months ago, as well…

I was waay better prepared this time, and feel free to read my thread for #2, as I listed some of my preps. I had to be very much more prepared this time due to my husband’s more recent challenges & disabilities and his inability to care for me that he did before. So, some of my prep was thus related, but a bunch was not.

I pre-made and froze a bunch of meals, hired a shopper/driver/errand runner for 3x a week over 4 weeks, and worked with my OS to change the meds I would take after finding out with #1 that the then-used opioids do not work to relieve pain for me! A friend came and stayed with us for 4 days/nights, to help and see how well my husband could do those things he really would need to do…

I healed way faster and better this time, with much less pain!

Will say more but gotta take my puppy out!

Back now… but in fact, I healed so much faster with OUT the awful opioids because my pain was much better controlled, I wasn’t as sleepless, I wasn’t as anxious, the surgeon’s office had a decent post-care person in place so you could get answers and help, etc. Oh! And a friend also signed me up for a MealTrain, too, so I had dinners delivered 3x a week which was wonderful!

I’m only 5 months out now, and we got a puppy a month ago, so that’s proof I’m waaay better off with #2! Puppies are very good at letting you know if you can’t keep up with ‘em!

So, ask & I bet there are a bunch of us who came in to #2 much more ready and able to contend with the results much better prepared.

Last edited:
I found that the second surgery went more smoothly. I had less pain and better range of motion. I hope you experience the same thing. I think that since we know what to expect it makes the recovery easier.

Last edited:
@BBCG and @newlybionic - Thank you both so much for your encouragement, this is so good to know.
Fortunately my husband is a tad younger ( 4 years) than I, plus he is super fit and healthy so like last time he will look after me so to speak, as he still has to work he will set me up for the mornings and then be home with food early afternoon's, he too is on dog walking duties, luckily my daschund is very sweet and just loves to snuggle, she was very good on my first journey
Aid wise I'm pretty much sorted, ice bags in freezer and toilet seat raiser ordered, I kept my crutches from my last surgery, now I just need a definite date of surgery, hopefully soon as now ready to be done & dusted and on the other side xx

Oh good! A friend set up a MealTrain for me; if you’re the primary cook, would that be helpful? I just asked for dinners (you choose which meals, times, days, any food restrictions, etc.) 3x a week. I found out who the good cooks, or efficient cooks were amongst my friends and discovered several new-to-us recipes!

@Sara61 I had my 2nd (LPKR) July 1st 2020 so I am just over a year out from my 2nd PKR. I found the 2nd was a breeze compared to the first. I knew what to expect when I had strange pains. I knew not to panic if something was not what I expected. My mindset was also much better! I was NOT expecting to recover in record time!
I rented a Game Ready Ice machine / compression device. I set up our spare bed room as my recovery cave. I had a TV, hospital type table for my laptop, lounge doctor leg wedge, and Ice compression machine.
For this one time was not relevant, I slept when I was tired. In my mind, my only job was to keep Ice in my Game ready, and relax and let my body do it's thing. I did my rehabilitation exercises randomly when I felt like it. My pain meds were Tylenol Tramidol and ice. I went through 500 lbs in 5 weeks. I only took Oxy 2 times. I NEVER pushed rehab to the point of pain! I pushed to discomfort and stopped.
I went into the 2nd one thinking, "I have a good excuse to relax for a while". It worked!
I wish you the best of luck for your 2nd!

@Rick951, you and I did almost the same thing and it really worked well for me, too! I borrowed my ice machine (in this case a Polar Cube, like last time), had my recliner set up by the window so I could watch the birds, had my helpers trained for refilling feeders, and, also like you, used only Tramadol, Tylenol and ice and elevation. So much better, faster and easier a recovery!

I switched physical therapists to someone less aggressive and more communicative for the second knee. I had also learned that heavier duty pain meds made me nauseous so I skipped those and started with tramadol. I did more prehab exercises for the second knee. And did less intense pt afterwards. My first guy wanted me to do 3 sets at a time of multiple exercises. It took almost an hour and was too much early on. I did one set at a time 2 or 3 times a day the second time and more frequent icing. I did have an easier time with the second knee but really I don't know if these changes made the difference. Maybe the second knee was less damaged or the surgeon had a better day...

@Bikeknit @BBCG We will never know if enlightened recovery strategy was the difference between knee 1 and 2. But, it did NOT make the recovery worse, with a less favorable outcome.. I would call that a win in my book....:yay:

I am so happy reading this thread! It sounds like the second one is much easier! I, too, know exactly how to prepare, and I still have everything from before. I have the same surgeon at the same surgery center, which is comforting.
The biggest difference is that I now have a walk in shower! Like my hubby told me "this ain't your first rodeo". I find myself looking forward to having my 2nd knee in less than a month !
Be well!!

@Sara61 Everyone’s practical prep advice is spot on. I waited 8 months to have my 2nd knee done and it was definitely less stressful knowing what to expect. I skipped formal PT on my 2nd knee and my ROM at 5 months is coming along as expected.

What I noticed most is how quickly I forgot how much time it takes to recover and I kept comparing my progress to Knee#1. This recovery has felt slower, perhaps with a bit more discomfort, and the clicking is really annoying this time around. I’m also not at the same level/intensity of activities. This has been frustrating but I also have to remember each knee is different.

Being patient with yourself is the best advice I can offer! Take care.

Thank you all for the great encouragement, I finally have news I am meeting the surgeon on Wednesday the 3rd of November plus meeting the nurse afterwards, as I recall from my previous surgery I think, the next step is the knee scan to order the components and then surgery so I think most likely in 2-3 weeks. Part of me is relieved but part a tad anxious... so fingers and toes crossed :praying: I will know more very soon x

I second all the great advice you’ve been given already and 2nd time around your expectations are more realistic I think.
Just remind yourself of how much better and stronger your first TKR felt after full healing and look forward to that with your 2nd.

Has anyone's 1st replacement ached prior to having the 2nd knee replaced, for some unknown reason my left leg (2019) below the knee is really uncomfortable, it's way after midnight and I'm wriggling around in bed as I cannot get comfortable, it's not a full on pain but a dull ache plus I've noticed the knee feels a lot tighter in the last few days- Could this be, because I'm leaning more on it, or should I be concerned ? Our weather from Thursday onwards is about to change for the worst so hopefully its just weather related and me over thinking things :chinstroke:

@ihavetwins I had dreadful clicking after my first replacement on my left knee in 2019 so much so I thought the surgeon had made an error, with time it slowly ( very slowly) diminished and now it only clicks if I overdo things or turn around too fast, it did take a good 12 months before I realised I wasn't noticing it as much. I'm hoping on my next replacement this issue can be avoided, I aim to discuss it with the surgeon prior on my appointment next Wednesday as its the same surgeon as I really don't want two clicky knees.
Thank you for your encouragement xx

@Sara61 My first TKR (right knee) became increasingly sore in the months and weeks prior to my 2nd replacement. In my case definitely because of the difficulties in walking and bearing weight on the left knee. I really couldn’t walk very far, was limping and took to using a stick at times but now realise I was using it incorrectly and making things worse for my good replaced knee. I have a little clicking in my new knee but not bothersome and didn’t have that issue with my first replacement. Damp, rainy or very cold weather has always affected my replacement joint and I expect it will be the same now with my new PKR!
None of the aches and pains come close to the grinding pain of a deteriorating joint though and I am happy I got both done. Hope your surgeon can Reassure you on the clicking. Good luck with everything.

Now I have the date, it all seems so much more real, I'm to have surgery on the 7th of December. From next week I start the round of pre-op exams, scans etc etc - The surgeon said albeit being bone on bone my right knee appears to be in far better condition than my left one was, so hopefully this will give me an easier recovery.
Would I be wise to do some pre-op exercises at this stage ?

congratulations on your surgery date. You can now prepare and I would start the pre op exercises to strengthen your quads and other muscles. Don’t need to go crazy but do some exercises regularly. It will help that this knee is not as degenerated as your first or at least that has been my experience. It will still be difficult as it’s a hard surgery but pain free knees are now in sight.
Good luck with your preparations will look forward to updates.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back