BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Advice for hip pinning surgery?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by becs36, Feb 2, 2019.

1. becs36

becs36 new member

United States United States
    Hello... I'm hoping for some advice. Two months ago I was diagnosed with a compression side femoral neck stress fracture. Despite being on non-weight-bearing crutches for 8 weeks the fracture didn't heal and I'm scheduled to have hip pinning surgery next week (ORIF).

I've never had surgery of any kind before and I'm pretty scared.

Has anyone out there had experience with this type of surgery? Thanks all :)

2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2019
  3. becs36

becs36 new member

Thank you so much Mojo333! There is a lot of info in that thread. It's so nice to read other peoples' experiences with this type of injury. I feel a lot less alone :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @becs36 Welcome to BoneSmart! Many of us were new to any kind of surgery when we got the diagnosis. Scary stuff! But the success rates for these procedures are very good.

Keep coming back and posting here. It does help ease the nerves.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Here is another article about hip pinning Fractured neck of femur
    Since I've had a considerable amount of experience with operating on fractured necks of femur, you can ask me almost anything and I'm bound to have an answer for you.

In case you weren't aware, fracture necks of femur are actually very common but mostly in the elderly. Old folk tend to be unsteady on their feet and trip over things like uneven paving slabs. They might also have osteoporosis in which case, the bone might give way and then they fall, leading to that old chestnut "did she fall and break her leg or did her leg break causing her to fall"! I tell you all this just to let you know that hospital staff have oodles of experience in dealing with ORIF fractured necks of femur.

Incidentally, you used the phrase "stress fracture" which would indicate osteoporosis. So did you ever have a bone density test to check that out? Might be a good idea.

6. becs36

becs36 new member

Hi Josephine! Thanks so much for your reply, and you're spot on about the osteoporosis. I ran my first marathon in October and figured that the stress fracture was a result of over-training but my orthopedist recommended the bone density test and it turns out I have low bone density for my age. It's not quite at osteoporosis level, but it's close (-2.3 T score on the DEXA). Separately I've been referred to an endocrinologist to figure out if maybe there's an underlying condition.

I've been seeing a lot of references to AVN as a possible complication. Is there anything I can do to prevent AVN? The doctor told me that a week after the surgery I should be weight bearing as tolerated but I'm so afraid of putting weight on it too early. Any recommendations for safely building my strength back up? I'm also seeing some mixed recommendations about when to start PT and how aggressive to go. Any advice is most welcome and appreciated :)

7. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@becs33
    Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add it to your signature of you. Having the exact date will help us properly advise you. Thanks!

8. becs36

becs36 new member

My surgery is on Wednesday, February 6, 2019. Right around the corner :)

9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thanks!
    All the best on Wednesday.
    Weight bearing as tolerated, you will have total control over the amount of weight you put on your leg.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

We don't recommend PT until you are fully healed. Too many people start aggressive PT and just end up with chronic pain. Here's our Big Tip:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

There are numerous causes of AVN and some can be avoided and others can't. More on that later.
    You're getting confused between bone healing and osteoporosis. Let me explain

1. Bone healing will take around 6-8 weeks to be a solid union but it's more risky in the early weeks and that's when you need to be non or at least partial weight bearing.
    2. in osteoporosis, I described that issue in my earlier post
    It's not something you should worry about for at least 8 weeks. Then when you are getting back to full weight bearing, that will result in improving strength gradually and generally. In other words, don't fret about it!
    Jaycey was right - NO exercises and/or PT at all! NONE! The BIG TIP she quoted is spot on for that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. becs36

becs36 new member

Thank you so much for the advice and replies!!

13. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Wising you well with your surgery today!