BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

Advice about limitations after hip replacement

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Mariam, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mariam

Mariam new member

France France
    Hello, I am 61, had R.A for about 35 years now, various ops etc.
    Now my right hip needs replacing. Can anyone tell me what you cannot do after this operation please as I am unsure of limitations etc.
    My left knee is a replacement, 17 years in November, am worried that the hip will limit my activities.
    Thank you all.

2. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Mariam
    Initially you might have restrictions on what you can do post op. That depends on the approach and the OS. I had posterior approach and my OS is particularly strict with the rules. No bending past 90 degrees for 3 months.
    However, once the initial restrictions are over there is little you can't do.
    Read through the other threads and you might be surprised at the range of things people are going.
    For me I just want to be able to carry on with daily living pain free.
    Best wishes with your journey

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi Miriam.:welome:to the place where you can get great advice from "those who know"
    Bionic says it very well.
    If you have a surgeon you have confidence in...he will likely have a protocol he feels comfortable with for post op recovery...but at almost two years or the only restrictions I have are ones I have placed on myself. Have taken skydiving off of my bucket list!
    I am very active and the restrictions put on me from Bad Hips have been lifted for sure!
    I am sorry you have had to deal with RA at such a young age.
    I think you'll be surprised at how much better life will be with a good new hip.:yes!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@Mariam I only have 2 life long restrictions - no bungee jumping or parachuting. Since I am not the least bit interested in either activities I have no restrictions.

THR is about getting you life back!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

What activities are you concerned about? What activities do you do now? Like all of this everyone is different and overall there are similarities in recovery but many timelines are different. I try and limit myself to not damaging my new hip just to prove I can do something.

6. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

I had anterior approach nearly 2 yrs ago. When I left hospital, my only restriction was the same as Jaycee mentioned — no bungee jumping. My OS didn’t mention parachuting but that is of no interest to me so it’s no problem. I can do so much more since my surgery and do not feel restricted at all. Surgery was well worth it. Only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. HertsHippy

HertsHippy member

Mine said no jumping from height. I asked him about competitive squash and he said it was my call - he said I should do what I want to do as I will only live once. He was fine with skiiing as long as not extreme - eg not skiing off cliffs. Interestingly physios seem to be much more cautious than surgeons.

8. Mariam

Mariam new member

France France
    Thank you, I am restricted a bit as after my knee op, I cant kneel on left knee. I try to do some sport, involves slight kicking movements, bending hip etc. Don't want to stop if possible. Thank to you all for replies

9. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there @Miriam
    Regarding post op activity, I guess it's a matter of knowing which activities you're interested in participating in post op...

Wondering if you have a surgery date scheduled yet? If so, please leave it below to be applied as your signature.
    Otherwise let us know once you have it scheduled. Knowing your history, your OS should be able to advise which activities are safe for you and which are not. Stay in touch, we'd love to follow your journey.
    A great weekend to you!

10. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

11. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Surgeons differ on what they think hip replacement patients can do after surgery. I chose a surgeon who was fine with ... well ... with anything ... He places zero restrictions ... not short term or long term ... I didn't want to go to a surgeon who recommended against strenuous exercise ...

• Like Like x 1