Bilateral TKR Adjustable bed?

pamsknees

senior
Country
United States United States
I will be moving in about a month & am looking at getting a new bed. I was considering an adjustable one. Seems it may be useful during recovery but I’ve never had one so am not sure if it’s worth the extra cost. Do any of you have one & if so was it helpful ?

I used a hospital bed after my last surgery. I found it was helpful to me after that surgery. With my prior surgeries I found that I was more comfortable sleeping in my recliner for several weeks afterwards and then did just fine in a regular bed.

@Celle - my appt with the surgeon is next Weds & hopefully will have a date after that.

I love my adjustable bed. We added the adjustable frame to our existing sleep number bed (love that also) after my knee and shoulder surgery this spring. For me, it is and has been infinitely superior to stacking pillows or using elevated pillows, especially when icing. I go into more details in my knee thread.

I have an adjustable bed and I love it. I can raise the bottom to help me sleep better for my knee. I have to sleep with it bent. Also, next Wednesday is when I met with my surgeon and hopefully get a surgery date.

I just used my regular beg. Sit and swing legs over. I had the bilateral knee done 3/21/19. I was led to believe I could sleep without a pillow between my legs by week 4 or so but it took me months to get rid of doggone pillow. I can’t sleep on my left side, because of vertigo and back, more snoring, but I alternated between back and right side with thin pillow between my legs to allow me to cross one leg over the other which is how I normally sleep. On back I propped pillow under my left shoulder so I leaned towards right. I was most comfortable during day in deep club chair with an ottoman so my legs were straight out. I have a recliner but with that I got more radiculopathy burning in my feet and legs (radiating from my not so good back) but that is almost completely gone now. Each 4 weeks I saw a big change in my overall progress. By 8 weeks I was driving my Prius. Could probably have managed sooner but that was my first post op visit so I waited. Expect to be fatigued in the early months. Listen to it and rest a lot. I still do standing four way leg exercises. Squats, toe raises, side lifts, quads, hamstrings...just 5 to 10 minutes at a time but good to keep that going, plus push down extensions sitting between two chairs. I had full flexion and extension within a few weeks. Have maintained it and now without pushing or trying my legs go past 130 degrees although doc said don’t try for more, since the new knee prosthetics will allow it but it puts stress on the joint. Best to you!!

thanks all of y’all ! I have sold my farm & bought a house & need another bed anyways so I think I will be going with an adjustable one. If I dislike it, I can return it so it seems a good time to try it

I did not get an adjustable bed until about 8 months into recovery, I liked being able to elevate my legs, and sit up in bed.
You will have to watch how much the leg elevation bends your knees and only go partway up. As long as your feet are higher than your nose you are fine.

Adjustable bed report

I went & looked at them at the sleep number store & liked them but not the price tag . When I was looking online, I saw one on amazon with great reviews, raves about customer service & a good price so I ordered it. The customer service has been amazing ( there were glitches with delivery service but the bed company made it work). I slept in the bed last night for the 1st time - oh my gosh! I slept better then I have in years. I can see it will be helpful in recovery as it’s easy to elevate legs with the push of a button.
This is the one I bought Sven & Son Queen Adjustable Bed...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom