Revision THR Aditi's recovery thread

Left lateral THR on 7/6/2018
Left posterior Revision not scheduled yet, but it looks like early July 2019

Hi @ Celle, Original THR was on 07/06/18 - Left hip, lateral approach. I don't have a date for the revision yet (trying to be patient), but tentatively in July 19 - Left Revision to femoral component, posterior approach. Thanks, Deborah

Update to L THR Revision on 7/10/19. X-rays showed that my femur is a "champagne flute" type. It is very narrow at the bottom and very wide at the top. The first THR femoral stem planted into the bottom, but was moving side to side up top and causing incredible pain.

In case anyone else has this issue ... they reamed the entire femur to create an oblong shape, as wide and uniform as safely possible. The new femoral stem looks like a long, thin rectangle rather than the usual triangle. A "collar" was placed the top of the femur to add additional stability. 20" posterior scar, 50 staples and 2 days in the hospital. Recovery has been longer and slower than the first L THR July 2018, but showing progress daily.

My revision surgeon was amazing - patient, methodical, attention to detail, consulting with colleagues - other surgeons through wound-care experts. He even called me at home the night before the surgery to allay fears and ask if I had questions and changed the bandaging himself post-operative. He and his staff made sure to treat my husband (primary caregiver) in the same respectful, caring, personalized manner. Dr. Demetri Economedes at Cary Ortho in Cary, NC.

Wonderful news!
Your x-rays would be interesting to view given the description of your femur. Your explanation is rather fascinating also in how it was all resolved. It sounds like you are doing well and were blessed with a skilled surgeon with the added bonus of a great bedside manner. I'm tagging @Jamie to see if she'd like to document your surgeon's info for possible future reference. Have you noticed if your surgeon's info is in our Surgeon Locator? It can be accessed through the blue navigation bar at the top of the page.
Thanks for the update. Stay in touch and enjoy the weekend!
@Aditi

Hi @Aditi , I was intrigued by the description of your femur as a "champagne flute" shape. I have sort of the opposite femur type which could have contributed to my femoral implant loosening. I have what one surgeon termed a "stovepipe" femur. [These OSs sure have colorful ways of describing our body parts!] The inside cavity of my femur is tapered only very slightly with almost parallel sides. I have very long legs, 34" inseam, thus a very gradual taper of the femur. This presents a challenge to the OS to get a nice tight press fit all along the length of the implant. The original THR I am pretty convinced was simply not long enough and not a precise enough fit to result in a well fixed femoral stem top to bottom. So far the revision feels tight as a drum. It sounds like your surgeon understood your unique physiology and met it head on. I predict great success for your revision. Your report of "daily progress" is very promising. Break out the champagne when you are back to normal activity! Where are those flutes when you need them?

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Wondering how you're doing? Hopefully all is well.
Please leave an update if you have time, we're interested in your journey and progress.
A beautiful Autumn to you!
@Aditi

Hi @Layla, @prairienut,
Sorry for the delay - we've moved back to Boston. Thanks for checking in ... no champagne yet. I've still got pain at start-up, limp for 3-4 steps then okay with some thigh pain. The pain moves around, surgical thigh, depending on movement. Just saw my new surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital Boston and they said the revision surgery takes much longer to heal, my gait is good, balance is good and weight-bearing is good. Pain can last up to a year as much muscles, fascia, tissue were moved around during surgery. Also, I've been "off" 1" for years so body needs a chance to get used to working properly again. I'm working with a talented personal trainer to regain strength, balance and function. Outlook is positive.
Best to both of you, Deborah

What a nice update @Aditi
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're doing well.
At only four months post op you have plenty of time to see improvement. Please stay in touch.
All the best, always! :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom