Adhesions vs. Scar Tissue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeet

supremo
Country
United States United States
I posted this question somewhere but now I have no idea where! What is the difference between scar tissue and adhesions?

Hi Skeet! Edk Posted a really good answer to that somewhere. I can't remeber where either but if you search his posts you'll find it. It was just today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found it..
Scar tissue forms whenever you heal. Its supposed to occur just like the original
tissue. Sometimes as it heals it joins up with neighboring tissue which it isn't supposed
to be connected to. So the two tissues adhere to each other and where they
are supposed to slide over each other independently. So most of the PT you get
after surgery involves keeping things moving so that the neighbors can't heal together
and create adhesion's. The big issue is they frequently interfere with range of motion.

You can also google, post knee surgery adhesions..Tons of stuff..Also, it appears that you can get the adhesions from other surgeries particular abdomen.

Thanks so much! That makes excellent sense. I get it!

Doug, did you cut and paste that directly from another thread? How'd ya do it?

I went in for my 6 week post op today- My orthopod told me the "catch" and pain I felt last week for about 48 hours, both knees, each lasting about 24 hours, was "scar tissue:" breaking loose. not to worry, it clears up quickly. Quite different from adhesions , which often have to be manipulated to release. These are more troublesome. Several of us have had the scar tissue.

Jenn,
I looked through EDK's post, found the post, Highlighted the post, right clicked on "copy".
Opened a new "reply" to Skeet's question, and then right click, locate "paste", and it is done.

I looked through EDK's post, found the post, Highlighted the post, right clicked on "copy".

Oh like the normal way.. I see. I thought the forum had a version of it's own. Like something under the "Go Advanced" button below. I'm not as dumb as I look.
Thank You.

I also added this in another thread

However, in a traditional TKR they (ligaments and muscles) are exposed to the air (thereby drying off somewhat) and also placed in abnormal positions. This can (only can - not inevitably) cause them to stick together in the days,weeks after surgery.

Now the thing to remember is that most people's bodies will compensate by producing extra synovial fluid, a fluid with a consistency roughly equivalent to egg white, that lubricates all ligaments and joints where movement is necessary. It can be over-produced in a joint which gives rise to that of described condition 'fluid on the knee'. So for 99.9% of patients having knee surgery, this will not be a problem as nature takes care of it. The remaining 0.1% may require a manipulation to free things up. It's one of those things that cannot be predicted and if there are any statistics to show how it can be avoided or prevented, I haven't come across them yet. But even those who experience this unfortunate complication have usually caught up by the end of the year.

In short, I wouldn't get too caught up in this. I suggest that instead of worrying about all the things that could go wrong, you focus on the bright future this op will present you with.

Jo, I have a pocket of fluid at the right side of my knee (RTKR) lateral. Could this be why I have that tight band round my knee permantly? I am also very sore in that area, I think my PT said it is the crutiate ligament. It is also very stiff at that point. It felt easier for a while after she massaged it. I also got a 2 degree improvement after that.

Sue, on monday I saw a different guy at PT than usual and he massaged where as my regular guy doesn't. There was a huge difference in how easily my knees pushed on the leg press. I can do it easily enough, but it felt much better to do it.

What kind of massage is done and where (above the knee?)?

Skeet, I'm trying to figure out if that is aserious question or if you been hanging out with Gat too much. I'm guessing real question. Yes just above the knee where the swelling is. And a little on the sides of the knee also. I've heard others get it too. Where ? NP was it you?

you can't massage a cruciate ligament buried way inside your knee. you won't have one anyway unlee you had a cruciate-sparing replacement. Sounds more like a tight I.T. band. Deep tissue massage and stretching works best.

I know my ligaments are gone. My guy just massaged the muscle/tissue around the swollen knee after stretching it. Maybe that is what Nursepair was refering to as well. Felt good what ever it was.... How are you doing today Barb?

The I.T. band has been giving me fits this last week or so..I'm having to use lots of heat and stretch it.
Unfortunately, I'm going to stop my "re-entry" into Kenpo. The new joint is doing very well. I don't want to injure the leg anymore. There is just too much potential for a lower ranking person with poor control hitting my knee. Time to hang the spurs up and find something else.

That makes alot of sense Doug. Not that you wouldn''t be able to do it, just that some other would be a problem. What fun to find a new activity though. SkyDiving? lol

I've already done the skydiving thing....My wife put a stop to that short lived sport.

Doug:

Sorry to hear that - walking away and not going back is one
of the hardest things in life. But I certainly understand you
can control yourself but you can't control others. I worry about
this skiing. I tell people I really don't understand how people
get skiing recreationally. The equipment is so reliable and good
if you fall it shouldn't hurt you. Then I have all these friends who've
gotten plowed into standing in lift lines.

My guy just massaged the muscle/tissue around the swollen knee after stretching it. Maybe that is what Nursepair was refering to as well. Felt good what ever it was....

Yes Jenn, that is where my PT did it. She has also said my IT band was stiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom