OP
OP
T

tonyw

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Josephine
Should have read
'Bit of household' chores - i.e. Washing cup, plate, putting clothes in washer, tidying my bed. Nothing heavy - just light chores
I should have said 'heel slips'
Think I might have been tired or uncomfortable when I gave original response!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

OP
OP
T

tonyw

Country
Despite my optimism that the ice cooling machine would help I'm back to square one on the sleeping scales.....
I've read this can take months to cool down and whilst the Tramadol is helping to take edge of the pain it's still quite bad - around 8 and just can't get more than hour at a time and lucky to get 3 hours a night. Any other solutions out there?

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Just try to sleep whenever you can. I found it difficult to sleep for more than a few hours at a time for the first few months. If you find you are sleepy during the day, take a nap. I had an area of the lateral side of mh lower leg that felt like a combination of a sunburn and tingling. It did eventually go away. I was put on gabapentin which is prescribed if the OS feels that it is nerve related.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
whilst the Tramadol is helping to take edge of the pain it's still quite bad - around 8 and just can't get more than hour at a time and lucky to get 3 hours a night. Any other solutions out there?
Yes, go and talk with your GP. It seems to me that you have neuropathy (the nerves all going crazy) and need gabapentin to calm it down. I had it myself and it's the only answer.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
Good. But there is always a chance the first prescription is a small dose (about 100-200mg once or twice a day) and that this might not be fully effective. If this happens, don't be shy to go back and tell your GP that it's not as it's not uncommon for it to need increasing once, twice or even three times. I ended up take 300mg twice a day but some people do need even more. This is okay so don't worry. I also found it necessary to be on it for about 3 months at 300mg twice daily after which I put myself on a strict routine of reduction which was
week 1: 300mg and 250mg daily
week 2: 250mg twice daily
week 3: 250mg and 200mg daily
week 4: 200mg twice daily
week 5: 150mg and 200mg daily
week 6: 150mg twice daily
week 7: 100mg and 150mg daily
week 8: 100mg twice daily
week 9: 50mg and 100mg daily
week 10: 50mg twice daily
week 11: 50mg once daily
week 12: 50mg every other day then stop
Hope this helps

Twelve weeks might seem a long time but it's worth it. But whatever you do, don't stop it suddenly or you will risk your nerves getting all jangly again!

ACDCJen

graduate
Country
@tonyw

I'm a chronic insomniac and despite pain medication and sleep aids, I still can't get into a good sleeping schedule. Honestly, the best thing I did was to sleep when I'm tired and not worry too much about it so my stress over it didn't increase too. I'm almost 4 weeks out with my second tkr, and I am just starting to sleep more than a few hours at a time. I start trying for sleep around 11pm, and usually have to wait until 3 or later to actually sleep. I usually wake up anywhere from 7 to 11. I may or may not nap during the day. It doesn't change my sleep at night either way.

Best of luck with the sleep, but try not to focus on it too much!!
Jen

OP
OP
T

tonyw

Country
Hi Josephine so sorry I didn't respond to your post 17/12!
Anyway as an update it's exactly 6 weeks since my surgery. Thankfully the initial agony of burning pain has receded and now I'm getting a good 5 hours plus sleep a night without any night time icing. My meds are being weaned down and I'm off Tramadol and taking just a couple of codiene with paracetamol a day although still on x 2 x 30 mg pregabalin. Also on naproxen.
Otherwise ROM 120 and under 5 degrees extension
Walking unaided and swimming (front crawl) walking and light gym
I think it's important to let people know it does get better as those first 3/4 weeks were pretty awful but definite improvement last week or two. I know everyone is different too with recovery time and I count myself fortunate. Not over this yet but I do try and keep positive about the outcome. Good luck everyone!

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Thanks for updating us. Hang in there.

Cratchit

senior
Country
Wow, @tonyw - you're making great progress! I`m ahead of you post op but behind you in mobility. Nice to see a Liverpudlian on here!
!

Red's Mom

graduate
Country
Thanks everyone for constructive comments. I'm new to BoneSmart and now really appreciate the value of peer and expert support. [emoji106]
Tony

I'm glad it wasn't an infection. I too have the Breg Polar Cube. You can find them relatively inexpensive on EBay! I think the all night icing is what has helped me sleep so well! Good luck with your continues recovery and welcome to BoneSmart!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

OP
OP
T

tonyw

Country
Hi All
9 weeks post op and I've developed a really sharp pain around my kneecap. I'm not conscious that I've done anything unusual and wondered if anyone has experienced this? Otherwise my progress has been fair - good ROM / Extension although still getting swelling which I know is normal. Feel this is a real setback as it's been nearly a week and despite rest it's not easing up!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello Tony,

I suspect that you have been doing your exercises too enthusiastically, in an effort to get good ROM and your knee and kneecap are letting you know they need a big rest.
Instead of doing any exercises, concentrate on lots of rest, ice and elevation, so that your wounded tissues can settle down a bit and continue to heal. Don't worry about not doing the exercises - you won't lose the ROM you already have. Just a little bit of walking is all the exercise you need right now.

Recovery from a TKR does take a full year, so you are still very early in your recovery. There's no need to rush, no deadlines you have to meet.

Ice that knee as much as you can - at least 45 minutes each time - with some material between your skin and the icing, so you don't get frost bite.
Do come back and let us know how you're getting on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Tony, I've merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer to have each member's recovery updates, questions and concerns in a single thread so that we can easily go back and review your history. So please continue posting about your recovery here. If at any time you'd like a new title to bring attention to your update, just post what you want and we'll change it for you.

I think Celle is probably correct that you are doing a bit much right now for your 9 weeks. That's really fairly early in this recovery process and sometimes all that activity can build up and create pain like you're experiencing. For the next couple of weeks, scale way, way back not only in the exercises, but also in normal activity. Use the extra time to rest with elevation and ice on your knee. If things improve, then you'll know for sure it was the activity level.

OP
OP
T

tonyw

Country
Tony, I've merged your latest thread with your original recovery thread. We prefer to have each member's recovery updates, questions and concerns in a single thread so that we can easily go back and review your history. So please continue posting about your recovery here. If at any time you'd like a new title to bring attention to your update, just post what you want and we'll change it for you.

I think Celle is probably correct that you are doing a bit much right now for your 9 weeks. That's really fairly early in this recovery process and sometimes all that activity can build up and create pain like you're experiencing. For the next couple of weeks, scale way, way back not only in the exercises, but also in normal activity. Use the extra time to rest with elevation and ice on your knee. If things improve, then you'll know for sure it was the activity level.
Thank you both so much!
Advice re posting acknowledged
I guess you're right concerning overdoing it. Problem is that I'm an impatient sod who was very active - I've ran half a dozen marathons countless half marathons and love exercise ( no wonder my knee went bust eh?) it's ironically settled down a bit today and I've done little exercise over past week so that's got to be saying something. At times I feel I'm making good progress and then wallop! backwards again...
Thanks for allowing me to let off steam though and for your sound advice
Tony

KarriB

omega
Country
There'll be plenty of time for exercise once you're all healed. Patience...:yes:

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Yep, just about everyone has good days and bad days, many times with no explanation for either. Recovery is not a linear path forward by any means. I'm glad you're seeing some benefit once you slowed things down a bit.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Puppy Lady
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom