TKR ACL sacrificing/preserving

tamandua

Country
United States United States
I will have my first knee replacement early in October and my second one six weeks later. I'll wait a while, then, before I get any others done :) I have a lot of faith in the surgeon. He has done both my wife's hips and she is happy with the result, and it just seems very well done. He is keeping my posterior cruciate ligament but not the anterior. In all my reading I don't get a clear sense of whether ACL preservation is much better, when it can be done. I don't want to be unreasonable. But I want to maximize my recovery. If I could energetically skip rope again I would definitely want to build up to that. Is there anybody here that has had TKA and can skip rope? I have read Craig Raucher's story, and seen a video of him playing basketball, but I haven't seen him jumping. I expect to be very patient and work very hard, and I guess that if my legs get strong enough then I will incrementally explore what feels right. I'd really like to hear from people with TKA who jump, at least enough to skip rope, and whether they had ACL preserving or sacrificing surgery. Thanks!

@tamandua
I moved your post to the Pre Op area because you haven’t had surgery yet. Members in recovery do stop by this area, so hopefully some will be able to answer your question.

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

But I want to maximize my recovery.
There is very little you can proactively do to maximise healing, the body does it all by itself. You can improve ROM with stretching exercises
If I could energetically skip rope again I would definitely want to build up to that.
Plenty of people run or do other things that are high impact on the knees, although some medical opinion has it that high impact activity should be avoided. You need to look at this carefully to decide, IMO.
I expect to be very patient and work very hard
Patience is required, working hard is not, for healing. Indeed it's very easy to overdo things in recovery and set yourself backwards. Hard work can be done when healing is done, or at least well under way.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back