ACK! OMG! I’ve scheduled surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ELISEA

big-cheese
Country
United States United States
Hi All!
My first post but have been lurking on the boards for awhile, reading about everyone’s experiences. This time it’s me and I’m going through a world of trepidation, jittery nerves, fear, relief, and quiet panic, mostly trying to prepare for surgery and proceed ahead methodically with one foot and knee in front of the other.

Thanks for sharing your stories, I realize reading through this forum the outcome is not always successful, but it does make it somewhat easier to know that many have come through it with flying colors and I hope to be one of them. My goal is to enjoy traveling and day hiking once again, or even to take a trip to the grocery store without grimacing.

This is my first knee surgery ever and have waited far too long as even the simplest of things are painful, and going up and down stairs normally is only a dream. Plus, now my poor left knee is protesting as it compensates for the right knee.

Problems arose with both of my arthritic knees in my 40’s and a replacement was recommended for both of them at that time, but I could still live life and decided to wait. Unfortunately, I’ve waited a little too long. Now the description of my right knee is bone on bone with multiple large bone spurs and varus deformity. Sound familiar?

This forum has been invaluable in choosing my OS and in my surgery preparation. With my BoneSmart list of questions in hand, I consulted with several OS who all are extremely experienced. When asked who they would have do their own surgery if it was needed, the OS I chose was spoken highly of by the others, and mentioned especially for those patients with metal sensitivities. That brings me to where I am now, my right TKR will be at the end of May, and because of metal sensitivities confirmed through a Lymphocyte Transformation Test (LTT), it will be the Oxinium Zirconium knee.

Hi Elisa,

Sounds like you are in good shape as a result of doing your homework. It seems to me you waited just the right amount of time for the TKR because, had you gone for a TKR 10 years ago, you no doubt would have faced a more difficult decision as to whether to go ahead with it or not. Now, you know the knee is bad enough. PLUS, technology and materials have improved since that time. I have two oxinium knees, myself. And one BIG positive you have going for yourself is the fact that this will be your first knee surgery ever. Your bone surfaces may be ravaged by arthritis, but your joint contains virgin tissue that has never been touched by a scalpel nor scarred up -- so your internal healing should be relatively uncomplicated and "clean" (compared to someone like myself who had 9 knee surgeries prior to my BTKR and a mess of a joint).

Good luck with your surgery. Sounds like you are in good hands.

Hi Elisea!
Welcome and congratulations. I so understand the trepidation. Let me just tell you that, even though I don't have a date yet, that you are normal. Being nervous, uneasy, scared when faced with surgery is perfectly normal. When my son face a huge (not orthopedic) surgery last year, I understood how nervous he was. Being his mother, I wanted to help calm him. We focused on July 1st, which was the day after his surgery. I kept telling him to focus on the day after because it would be behind him. We made plans, inside jokes, and just plain old sillies about July 1st. Of course he was nervous, but it helped him calm his nerves some. So, to you, I say here's to June. The surgery will behind you in June and you will be on the healing side giving the rest of us waiting in the wings advice. Best wishes.

Hi Elisa,
Sounds like you are in good shape as a result of doing your homework.

MapMaker53 - Thanks for your note! It’s great to hear that you have two Oxinium knees and are doing fine even after having so many prior knee surgeries. My totally untouched knees hopefully, will do as well. Yes, no doubt about needing a new knee, and it is a plus that technology and materials continue to improve because there are so many of us starting down this road. I’m thankful that the first orthopedic surgeon I consulted with this last year took a thorough history and put me on the road to a nickel-free implant.

Hi Elisea!
So, to you, I say here's to June. The surgery will behind you in June and you will be on the healing side giving the rest of us waiting in the wings advice. Best wishes.

Wow, fantastic idea Nyland, I’ll do just that. Thanks for the suggestion! It’s so close to the end of May that concentrating on June will be good to do. And hopefully by the 4th of July holiday, I’ll be past the pain and well on the road to healing.

Hi All!
My first post but have been lurking on the boards for awhile, reading about everyone’s experiences. This time it’s me and I’m going through a world of trepidation, jittery nerves, fear, relief, and quiet panic, mostly trying to prepare for surgery and proceed ahead methodically with one foot and knee in front of the other.

Thanks for sharing your stories, I realize reading through this forum the outcome is not always successful, but it does make it somewhat easier to know that many have come through it with flying colors and I hope to be one of them. My goal is to enjoy traveling and day hiking once again, or even to take a trip to the grocery store without grimacing.

This is my first knee surgery ever and have waited far too long as even the simplest of things are painful, and going up and down stairs normally is only a dream. Plus, now my poor left knee is protesting as it compensates for the right knee.

Problems arose with both of my arthritic knees in my 40’s and a replacement was recommended for both of them at that time, but I could still live life and decided to wait. Unfortunately, I’ve waited a little too long. Now the description of my right knee is bone on bone with multiple large bone spurs and varus deformity. Sound familiar?

This forum has been invaluable in choosing my OS and in my surgery preparation. With my BoneSmart list of questions in hand, I consulted with several OS who all are extremely experienced. When asked who they would have do their own surgery if it was needed, the OS I chose was spoken highly of by the others, and mentioned especially for those patients with metal sensitivities. That brings me to where I am now, my right TKR will be at the end of May, and because of metal sensitivities confirmed through a Lymphocyte Transformation Test (LTT), it will be the Oxinium Zirconium knee.
Hi All I'm knew also, I've looked around and have seen alot of good information. I am scheduling my btkr within the next month or two, I will know this Thrus. I am 48yrs old, had surgery on my rt knee 25yrs ago and by lt knee last yr bur both have been bad for awhile. My rt more than my left due to the right compensating for the left. Now we are at the end of the line!!!!! I have been told that I would need new knees in my late 30s. So I know how you feel it I am worry about the gravity of the procedure. I work in a hospital at desk doing bed control, I rarely get up from my seat because I am attached to a telephone!!!!!!! I hope to get some more valuable tips for my returned to work!!! sorry at work now!!!! look forward hearing from all of you and good luck on your surgery!!!:thumb:

1Elisea and Blakqueen, so glad you both found your way here! I'm scheduled for surgery, possibly BTKR, in June, so I'm right there with you, reading and learning. Good luck!

I'm joining the group of TKR's in June! We will all be going through this together & we can do this! There is too much of life out there waiting for us to experience & participate in (again)!!! :thumb:

Hi All I'm knew also, I've looked around and have seen alot of good information. I am scheduling my btkr within the next month or two.....<snip>. So I know how you feel it I am worry about the gravity of the procedure. I work in a hospital at desk doing bed control, I rarely get up from my seat because I am attached to a telephone!!!!!!! I hope to get some more valuable tips for my returned to work!!! sorry at work now!!!! look forward hearing from all of you and good luck on your surgery!!!:thumb:

Thanks BLAKQUEEN! Sounds like you will be following closely after me. Nice to know you relate to the worry and to the two bad knees. Surgery is a difficult decision in some ways yet a no brainer in other ways. I wish you the best on your upcoming appointment on Thursday.

1Elisea and Blakqueen, so glad you both found your way here! I'm scheduled for surgery, possibly BTKR, in June, so I'm right there with you, reading and learning. Good luck!

Thank you for the kind welcome, Janet2012. It's good to have company on this journey. And yes, lots to read and learn to prepare and yet, it seems the date is coming all too quickly.

I'm joining the group of TKR's in June! We will all be going through this together & we can do this! There is too much of life out there waiting for us to experience & participate in (again)!!! :thumb:

I will be a few steps ahead of you (yes, a pun, lol :hysterical:) at the end of May. Just as you said, totally need to get out there and enjoy and and participate fully in life again. Should be an interesting summer to be sure!

Hi Elisea

Welcome to Bonesmart and congratulations on getting that knee sorted :thumb: You are obviously a very organised person and have taken charge of your situation and have done your homework very well - good for you. Knowledge is power!!

It is major surgery and you are normal to be worried and anxious but as you say so many of us have been through the process with flying colours. For me, it has been the best decision to have my knee replaced and to move on with my life (pain free!). If you have any questions or worries ask away and we will share our knowledge with you.

I wish you all the best and keep us posted.

Hi 1Elisea, welcome to the BoneSmart family! I am a Junekneer, so us Juneknees will be watching your thread closely as we create a close bond! I will be having both done June 1st, although apprehensive as we all are, It will be nice to be on other side for recovery and regaining our lives back!:yay::friends: So here's wishing you a great recovery and a pain free future!

Best regards,
Jacky

Welcome, 1Elisea and Blakqueen. You will find lots of people here who are either experienced or will be going through stuff about the same time as you are.

Congratulations on deciding to go with a TRK. It is normal to be nervous before a surgery but remind yourself how much better you will feel when you are rid of the arthritic pain. The waiting is the hardest part but this time will fly by. I spent my days trying to get my house prepped for surgery and stocking up on things I would need like toiletries, paper products, dog food. and non perishable foods. I did find out one thing that I should have done was to have a dry run of my home set up. When I came home from surgery I had to have one of my grandbabies and my friend help rearrange the furniture. I am 4 weeks out from my surgery and I have not looked back once. My right knee is starting to act up and if the time comes for that one to be replaced I would do it without a second thought. Come back often we are here for you

Hello everyone. I have been following and reading on BoneSmart since Aug. 2011 when I decided to have bilateral TKR on Sept. 13. It was VERY scary to think about what they were going to do, and possible consequences if all did not go well. BUT I assured myself it would, prayed a lot, and it did.

I am now 7 month post op and can't tell you how happy I am. I actually went to Disney World 10 weeks after my surgery, walked to entire time. Can't say that I wasn't sore for a few days afterwards, but the look on my granddaughter's faces (3 & 8) was worth it. I had been telling them for two years, "when Memaw gets her new knees", we will go to Mickey's Merry Christmas party, and we did. The surgery was all so worth it.

I wish I had not waited as long as I did, 4 years. I had a wonderful surgeon, hospital, in-patient rehab center, physical therapy and so much support from all my family. I came back to work three months to the date from my surgery, and now, I am going to retire November 30, 2012 and enjoy these new knees, instead of sitting behind a desk all day.

It wasn't all a bed of roses, but I can honestly say, my pain was minimal, less than I expected, thank God I had no complications (I am prone to clotting) and other than a little tightness in the left one, don't even know they ever touched me, except that my pain is completely gone. My surgeon told me it would be a year before I could begin to expect it to feel normal, to feel like part of my body and I'm sure by that time I will have accomplished all I set out to do.

The only fear that I have now is that I don't want to fall on them, since I am rather a "klutzy" person. I just pay more attention to my surroundings and where I'm stepping to prevent that. Good luck to you; think positive, work hard on your rehab and you will never regret it.
Carol
BTKR 9/13/2011

Hi Elisa and Black Queen. Welcome to BoneSmart. First off, you do know it's not necessary to always quote someone's post in order to reply to it? You can reply as I just did by just mentioning their name!

Elisa, you sound like you have prepared well. Good luck with the replacement. Read these articles - they will be helpful when you come to managing your recovery.
The first set is essential reading, the second is useful and the third just good information but you will need it all
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Black Queen, welcome to you also. Why don't you start a thread of your own so we can get to know you and address any concerns without derailing Elisa's thread.

Welcome Chance also. Why don't you put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do.
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
Thank you.

Jazyb, , shery17, Jacky48,viver45, kneeper, newnee, Chancec and the rest of the BoneSmarties, you are all a tremendous welcoming committee and thank you all for the very warm welcome! I plan to be around for awhile; I’ve read your posts and they provide such wonderful support to everyone before and after the TKR / THR.

Yes, waiting is the hardest part of the plan right now. After the decision to have surgery is made and the date is set, the waiting, waiting and more waiting leads to imagining all sorts of outcomes. But reality hit again today when I stood up to leave after a meeting and had a shot of pain, as I barely turned my knee in the direction to leave. Sigh, I could do without those reminders of how bad it is.

Thank you Josephine for the list. I do need to do some reading it appears! I did purchase a cryo cuff for icing and a few other things such as a shower chair that folks here thought were helpful after surgery.

Chancec – Why just today I thought how nice it would be to do Disneyworld without worrying about the next place to sit down or to walk on the beach there without worrying about stepping incorrectly as the sand shifts beneath my feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie