PKR Aching legs

Metal-Knee

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, I am a new member as from today and would like some advice on other members as to how much if any exercise I should be doing. I had a partial knee replacement on Friday 26th May, whilst in hospital for 2 days the physiotherapist came to see me and was quite adamant that I should try and bend my knee back as much as possible, she even pushed my knee back that I was in so much pain I felt like I was being tortured and was then in a lot of pain for the rest of the day. My question is should I put my body through this horrendous exercise or should I wait a while, I will add that I am walking, icing and elevating my knee throughout the day. Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Please let us know which partial you had, Medial, Patellofemoral or Lateral, so we are able to create a signature for you. Also, which knee.

Please refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain. Do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases.

All you need to be doing in these very early days is taking several walks around your home. Trips to the bathroom and kitchen to get a drink or snack will count as exercise. Get on your feet every couple hours for 5 minute walk. At this early date, most of your time should be spent resting, icing and elevating.
My question is should I put my body through this horrendous exercise or should I wait a while,
NO. Don’t do anything that causes you pain and if someone else tries to force you, tell them to STOP. Your ROM a will increase as the swelling goes down and healing progresses.

I will leave Recovery Guidelines below with best wishes for your healing journey.
Please stay in touch, we’d love to follow your progress.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@Metal-Knee

Thank you for this advice, I was worried that if I didn’t exercise as the physiotherapist wanted me to then I would be unable to bend my knee, so this has put my mind at rest. My surgery was for Left medial unicompartmental replacement.

@Metal-Knee please don't let anyone push you to bend your knee. There is no time limit for increasing range of motion. If your PT tells you there is a limit - they obviously have never had this surgery. We have members who continued to see increased in the bend even beyond one year out of surgery. Slow and gentle stretches will get you the results you need.

There is NO WAY a major weight bearing joint will become "locked" if you do not move it after surgery. Active daily living, gentle stretches, and time will yield you the results you need. I let my PT do the hurt stretches on me and it was a mistake. All that did was set me back the next couple days with pain and stiffness. If I were to do it all over again (PLEASE NO THANK YOU) I would do the exercise bike, heel slides, RICE, and gentle strength exercises...when I was ready.
I do have to admit that I like working out and do not mind a little "no pain no gain" but the pain was too over the top for me to believe it was beneficial going through that. I just imaging within your (mine too) newly operated knee its meat, like ground beef, so why should all this aggravating stretches promote healing? It has to be left alone to heal, most likely 3-4 weeks (maybe longer) before any kind of semi aggressive stretches can be done. Active daily living and heel slides at your pace will work fine.

Thank you Jaycee and Mettleinside, encouraging words I now don’t feel guilty for not overdoing the exercises, so when I go for my next appointment with my physio I will politely ask her not to push my knee, which I’ve no doubt she will tell me all the problems I will have in the future if I don’t do as she says. It seems uncanny that if you break a bone as humans we are told to rest, but if we go through major surgery with saws, hammers and then an artificial piece of equipment put in we are told to stretch, even if it’s so painful it makes you sweat. So no more worrying for me because I’m not causing more pain to my knee, doing only what my body allows me to do.

I was worried that if I didn’t exercise as the physiotherapist wanted me to then I would be unable to bend my knee, so this has put my mind at rest.
Your therapist has not been trained in the correct way to rehab a joint replacement. Up-to-date surgeons and therapists know that gentle, non-forced movements are the best way to rehab a joint replacement. Forced movements cause increased trauma to an already traumatized knee. Your knee needs to heal and it's not out of shape it is injured from a very major surgery that disrupts every part of the knee.

It seems uncanny that if you break a bone as humans we are told to rest, but if we go through major surgery with saws, hammers and then an artificial piece of equipment put in we are told to stretch, even if it’s so painful it makes you sweat. So no more worrying for me because I’m not causing more pain to my knee, doing only what my body allows me to do.
So True! Thankfully you’ve settled this in your mind and will give yourself the TLC you deserve as you heal. You won’t be sorry and you’re catching on early. It should keep you out of the ODIC (Over Did It Club) where far too many end up before they catch on to the slow, easy, gentle approach.

Look upon this surgery as an investment in your future.
Look after it now and it will serve you well for years to come.

A peaceful evening to you!
@Metal-Knee

Can someone please confirm that it is normal for my calf and shin to ache 4 days after partial knee replacement surgery, if so what is the best way to reduce this ache, I am already icing my knee throughout the day and walking around the house, but should I be using a heat compress for the aching muscles, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

@Metal-Knee only days out of major surgery, yes aches and pains are normal. Ice and elevate. Your body has been through major trauma. Please don't use heat on a new incision. The aches are in response to trauma - not sore muscles.

Are you taking your prescribed pain medication?

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

but should I be using a heat compress for the aching muscles
I would definitely just stick with ice and avoid heat on anywhwre near the surgical area for the first few months at least.
My knee still gets slightly warm 7 months post surgery and I wouldn't want to add to the heat. I do use heat in my aching back though.

Aches and pain all over your lower body is normal after this surgery. Just look at what was done in surgery. Your whole leg was moved all around is all kinds of gyrations. No wonder we have pain all over!

Thank you for your replies, I think I’m expecting too much from my recovery, I will try and stop worrying and just relax so that my whole body can heal.

Hi Metal Knee,
You made it through your first week! Yay! :happydance: Happy One Week Anniversary!
You're right to relax and let your body do its thing...heal.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend with lots of restorative rest. :)
@Metal-Knee

I am now 2 weeks post surgery, but it has been the longest 2 weeks of my life, a very painful time. However I am now walking without walking aids, even though I’m still hobbling, the pain is not so bad now but I’m still taking pain medication to keep the pain that I still have at bay, I’m also glad that I took the advice from various people on this forum as to rest and not try and do the exercises that the physiotherapist wanted me to do, I had my clips removed yesterday and was due to see the physiotherapist for the first time since leaving hospital, but I decided to cancel and leave it another week before I see them, as I do believe that resting my knee instead of letting them pull and push my knee until I am almost in tears has definitely been the better option, so thank you for the advice that I was given.

@Metal-Knee Please use a walking aid if you are still limping at all. It is still very early days for you.

And if you do see a physio, please do not let them force your knee. Gentle stretches are all that is needed.

@Jaycey thank you for your advice I will go back to using my walking stick, as yes I am still limping, I must keep telling myself to slow down and let nature take its own course.

Good and bad days, is this normal on the route to recovery, yesterday I felt good and the pain in my knee didn’t seem too bad, however today it feels quite sore and hurts again and my leg is still aching, I’m still icing and taking pain medication, but feel I have gone backwards in my recovery, I know it’s only just over 2 weeks post surgery, so I’m still early days but when I have a good day I feel quite good but fed up when I have a bad day like I’m having today.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties