THR acetabular cup problems

Hey @allj
I'm hoping this post finds you in a better position than when you last communicated.
I've thought of you often and hoped to see you post that you have found someone to correct the hip problem.

Hello kind helpers
I made an appointment with a surgeon who does revisions. Do you think it's better to have a revision done by a practicing surgeon or at a good teaching hospital?
Thanks for your input
Alan

Do you think it's better to have a revision done by a practicing surgeon or at a good teaching hospital?
If at all possible find a surgeon whose specialty is revisions. They are used to seeing difficult cases. Ask the surgeon how many revisions they do per year. The higher the number the better.

Oh @allj
So happy to see you have an appointment so you can get back to your life and out of pain.
I know this isn't how things were supposed to go, but we play the cards we are dealt right?
I will be rooting for you so please do let us know how it goes.

Hi Alan,
It's good to hear you have an appointment. I think Jaycey's advice is the best. It's what I'd do. Please know we're here for you and stay in touch. We'd love to support you on the journey.
Have a pleasant weeeknd!
@allj

Thank You all for being supportive and helpful. Things aren’t going so well and don’t know what to do.

I met with Dr. Shekhman who does revisions. He said the angle of the prosthetic was acceptable and that making the cup flush with the pelvis would be problematic with the ball not staying in the socket. I previously met with Dr. Halawi, another surgeon who doesn’t do revisions, who diagnosed my problem as impingement and pointed out the culprit as a prominent cup. He had no problem calling out Dr. Talmo, the original surgeon, and told me to think hard before having a revision. He also told me it would likely be hard to find a surgeon willing to get involved. He said my best option would be going to a teaching hospital. He also told me there is a 50% chance of improving. It’s been 2 yrs since surgery and about 10 months since I was able to raise my leg. I am much better but continue to have significant psoas pinching pain. Wondering if there is a realistic chance of improvement beyond this or is this the way of my future. Any idea how this works?

The other bad news is that my other hip is going. I had an xray that found marginal osteophytes in the femoral head..rings of the hemipelvis appear intact” but showed I had “cephalad migration of the femoral head in relationship to the acetabulum”. (What is that). I also had an MRI of the hip that found there is “bone on bone articulation involving the majority of the articulation”.. “severe marrow edema”.. “severe right hip osteoarthritis”. From the xray Shekhman didn’t think I was a candidate for surgery even though I am in significant pain. I thought It would be a good idea to have the MRI re-read but need my PCC to do it. Even if he did would have surgery wouldn't I have the same problem with the cup being raised?

This has been a life altering and depressing reality. Any words of wisdom or advice is appreciated.
Thanks again.
Alan

There is one a short distance away in Springfield, MA (Baystate Hospital) but don't think it is renown. Mass General in Boston, MA and Yale New Haven are maybe more reputable. I'm not sure is there is one in Hartford, CT that is worth of checking out but it is fairly close. Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Alan

Interview for the best surgeon first. Not the most convenient or the hospital This list I hope can stay. I have not researched any of the surgeons but note that many are with Hospital of Special Surgery in NYC. There is one at UConn Health in Farmington CT and one that is at my surgeons practice ( Dr. McGrory )

THANK YOU. I've been searching in the dark. That's the list I'm looking for.

If you're willing to travel to Mass General, here are some surgeons for you to check out:

Boston, Massachusetts

These surgeons are available at Massachusetts General Hospital:

Rubash, Harry E., MD
Melnic, Christopher M., MD
Kwon, Young-Min, MBBS, PhD
Freiberg, Andrew Albert, MD
Bedair, Hany S., MD

@mainegirl1 ... thank you for that list. I'll do some research on the surgeons. When you stumble across a resource like this, it would be good to send me a PM with the link rather than just posting it in a thread. Good information can get lost that way and this is possibly something we can use.

Jamie - Thanks for the list at Mass General. The list of 70 best Surgeons from Beckersspine is from 2011! I really don't know how to figure out who might be best. I'm usually uncharacteristically timid (scared) and deferential with surgeons. Are there questions you would recommend that I should ask the surgeon that could help in my decision?
Thanks

Last edited:
@allj
I do hope you find the surgeon who can help you.
If you use the @ sign before Jamie's name, she will be alerted to your question.
I'll do it to make sure she sees.
@Jamie

Read the article Pumpkln linked for you and write out your questions ahead of time. Check out the surgeons I listed for you via the links and pick 2 or 3 to consult with. You'll find someone you're comfortable with.

Even though the list is old, it still has a number of good surgeons I recognize on it.

Silly Me - I expect doctors to understand what is going on medically. I went to a surgeon who does revision surgery who wasn't interested. He said the prosthetic is in alignment -the end. Previously, I was told the cup being raised is responsible for pain in the groin pain and the leg, esp when raised or with jerky twist (though much better than months ago). I'm trying to figure out what is going on so want to know if the prosthetic in aligned and cup raised is this usual and is there remedy?
I'm also wondering if this whole thing (surgery) was a big mistake. I initially had tendinitis of the medius and minimus glutes. A yr later something snapped and my leg closed medially. My primary sent me to PT which helped but instead of figuring out what happened I was eventually shuffled to a surgeon. I have indications of maybe a detached muscle and of course now the pain from surgery. Thanks for responding.
Alan

Hello Alan,
If at first you don't succeed, try and try again comes to mind.
If you feel in your gut that something is wrong, please find someone to listen.
So sorry your struggling, sorry for any frustration and pain you're experiencing. I hope you find answers and relief soon.
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and brighter days in the New Year.
@allj

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:

went to a surgeon who does revision surgery who wasn't interested. He said the prosthetic is in alignment -the end
:sad:
I am so disappointed for you, @allj

No thoughts about causes or suggestions from this revisionist?

I know you are weary but I pray you persevere and you happen on a doctor who truly wants to find answers to your ongoing pain.
Not a lot of help, but please know I am still holding out hope you will get a resolution.

Last edited:
I really wish I could say Happy New Year knowing there is a resolution for your pain on the horizon.
Hope you are still pursuing help.

Good vibes continuing your way @allj

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker