Lounge Doctor

About how long will I want to use raised toilet seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newhip1229

Country
United States United States
Having total hip replacement and am wondering about how long I'll want/need to use a raised toilet seat? Ballpark figure.

KCDawg34

Country
What type of THR are you having? I started out with the portable toilet chair that you just placed over your commode. For some reason, my bandage liked to catch on the handle with my first hip replacement and I got rid of it the first week and didn't use it at all with the second hip. But, I had the Anterior approach with both hips and left the hospital with no restrictions, specifically the 90 degree rule.

I'm not sure what the rule is with a lateral THR but I know the posterior approach usually restricts you from bending past 90 degrees. How long, I'm not sure.

sharonslp

big-cheese
Country
For my first hip, I used it for close to the full 6 weeks that the doc wanted. I really didn't have the flexibility to break the restrictions before that even if I wanted to. My second hip was an even easier recovery, and I used it for a scant four weeks. I had the posterior approach.

Hope56

Country
I'm only 9 days post op, but having the anterior approach with no restrictions, found I needed the riser pre-op only, considering the severe range of motion I had. I could immediately use the hospital facilities without one on the 2nd day post op.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If your toilet is about the height of a standard dining chair you won't need a riser. Check with your surgeon's office before you spend money on this.

Delphi

senior
Country
I was also wondering what length of time it's needed for? I am 3 wks out and to me, it is still essential. It has definitely been one of the most helpful pieces of equipment, but my loos are quite low. I am hoping to go away at Easter time ( will be 6/7 wks out then ) and am wondering whether I would still need it then?

sammylou99

senior
Country
Me too @Delphi. I could not be without it at nearly 4 weeks out. I am tall though /5'9" so the normal loo seat seems a long way down. Am hoping after 6 weeks I can use a normal loo!!
Sam

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

alexthecat

SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR
Country
I used mine for about three weeks. I'm short though and, with the riser, my feet didn't reach the floor. That felt really awkward to me and I didn't like it.

Clipper

Country
I installed mine about 1 year ago before my 1st THR. I'm now 4 months post-op for my 2nd THR and I've just left it on. It's more comfortable and I haven't a reason to remove it. It will stay for the time being.

HippyHappy

Country
I concur with both @Delphi and @sammylou99. It's been 18 days since my THR, and I've relied on the raised seat with 100% confidence. It was very reasonably priced on Amazon, and I can't imagine how I'd be able to use a lower height standard loo if I visited friends or was in a public place. I had a posterior approach, and find the raised seat extremely comfortable to use without breaking restrictions. I have no idea how long I'll want or really need to continue using the raised seat, but as long as it works for me, I'll keep it attached ! It's also been the best place for me to put on my pants, as the raised height is perfect for to complete dressing myself without assistance. The grabber/reacher tool comes in handy for holding onto the pants while inserting my feet. (is this too much information ?!?)

RSC

Country
I think it was about two months before I decided to take it off. I used a lower toilet without it on a couple of occasions either by doing a non-contact squat or by sprawling my legs out in front.

gertie

post-grad
Country
@newhip1229 I used my raised seat for quite a while even though I have an ADA compliant toilet (the chair height toilet that Jaycey mentions). That's the kind of toilet used in the hospital but there was a grab bar next to it and I don't have that at home. I'm tall and my toilet seemed like a long way down! And for some reason, my regular toilet seat was very uncomfortable for my new hip. I stopped using the raised seat at about 8 weeks.

OUCH!

senior
Country
I definitely needed it in order to not break the 90 degree rule until doc lifted that at 5 weeks. Mine is the commode type with arms that stands over the toilet. I was ready to get rid of it at 3 months when I had my knee replaced. I'm 6 months out from hip and 3 months out from knee. I don't really need it anymore, but because I am having some pain in my hip still and there is nothing near my toilet to lean on, I still use it. I could get rid of it, it just makes life slightly easier.

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
gold
It varies from person to person. For most it's about 6 weeks +/-.
For others it can be less, and for some more.

VThereandnow

graduate
Country
As you can see, everyone is different - my advice right from the get go is to remember that ALWAYS!! ...and remind me of that sometime in the future when I forget it LOL. During recovery it is great to hear about how things are for everyone, but don't try to measure yourself against others. Some do great, others not so great, just be in the moment. ...but I digress, My first surgery was a lateral and it was about 6 wks.
Cathy

kayak59

senior
Country
I am over 6 foot and got the riser before my knee replacements. I don't think I'll ever take it off! (I also put my recliner on a four inch platform.) Love both.

dadman35

Country
I am shorter, 5'6" and I was uncomfortable with nonstandard toilets.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Caidly