TKR Abdominal muscle pain

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

We are all different, as are the approaches to recovery. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart will offer advice and are there to help. The advice may vary, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the recovery side, @Whoodee :wave:

Glad to hear things went well enough for you to go home the same day. Be sure to ice, elevate and take your meds on schedule so you can stay ahead of the pain.

Roy left you a lot of reading. Let us know if you have any questions!

Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress, please.
I get my new knee next Tuesday, going home same day.

Wow!!! I’m so glad for you! Now rest and heal❤️

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate hearing from you. I’m resting, icing, elevating, and motoring around a bit. I’m still amazed I don’t have the knee pain I suffered with for so long. Such a good feeling!

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate hearing from you. I’m resting, icing, elevating, and motoring around a bit. I’m still amazed I don’t have the knee pain I suffered with for so long. Such a good feeling!

Day two was the tough day for me. The nerve block wore off and the pain was pretty intense. I wasn’t taking the full dose of pain meds right off the bat and had to get into that regimen, so I was chasing the pain for a little while. I was caught up and feeling better by the end of the day, and was able to come off the narcotics completely by day 6. So don’t be discouraged if you don’t feel quite as good today. It’s pretty normal and all down hill from there!

Thank you. Yes, the nerve block is wearing off and I seem to have more discomfort in thigh, I guess where tourniquet was. PT coming later today. Hope it won’t be too rough.

PT coming later today. Hope it won’t be too rough.

You are the one who controls how rough the PT is, not the PT.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I’m on day 16 and the tourniquet spot is still very tender. I have a dark purple ring all the way around my thigh, and a big knot on the outer side of the thigh. Seems like they crank down on that thing pretty hard and it causes a little muscle damage. That hurts more than my knee right now. Hope you get a good PT that understands and doesn’t try to push you harder than you want to go. I’ve been lucky and have been able to create a mutual understanding with mine that we’ll push to a little discomfort but not to pain.

Yes, the nerve block is wearing off
As the block wears off, you will likely feel significantly more pain. Don't worry, it's normal. I found days 3-5 were the hardest, but then things began to improve.
Be sure to stay ahead of the pain by taking your medications on schedule. :flwrysmile:

I’m just wondering if it is normal to have sore abdominals after TKR. Mine are pretty sore for some reason.

This soon after surgery just about any pain is normal. Your body has been through a lot. If it gets worse you might want to ask your surgeon about it.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

I"m just wondering if it is normal to have sore abdominals after TKR. Mine are pretty sore for some reason
Are you meaning sore muscles as in how you'd feel after a workout? Or sore as in constipation?

Loss of appetite is common post op as is constipation. If you're feeling constipated, hopefully you were prescribed a stool softener.

In the early days or weeks, stomach or abdominal pain and discomfort as well as diarrhea, nausea can also be side effects of the anesthesia, or meds you've been prescribed. The combination of the stress, fatigue along with pain can throw our body off for a time. Take care to drink a lot of fluids to remain adequately hydrated and also engage in regular movement which will be beneficial for both muscles and your digestive tract. Make sure you're taking your meds as suggested, with or without food, at the suggested intervals. If you don't have much of an appetite, healthy snacks will suffice. If you have fever nausea or vomiting, please report this your physician.

I hope this eases for you soon.

Thus far I am doing well and feel very blessed. PT was good. I had a very nice and understanding person who didn’t believe in pushing anything too hard or too soon. I’ve been resting, icing and elevating and doing the ankle pumps and other minimal exercises and they seem to be working. Quite a bit of bruising but not too much swelling. I’m seeing some blood through the aqua bandage but I guess that’s normal. I pray I continue to make improvements and pain stays minimal. I have been taking the tramadol as directed.

Quite a bit of bruising but not too much swelling.
Icing and elevating will definitely help reduce the swelling. Don't worry if the bruising spreads. It took about a week for mine to fully develop, and then my leg was multi-colored from my hip to my ankle. Looked like it belonged to the Incredible Hulk. :heehee:

Rest and recover!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member