• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Abby's Recovery Thread

abbyannie

Country
Canada Canada
Had my TKR on October 30th. Finding these bonesmart threads very helpful to read. Presently trying to figure out how hard to push PT. From what I'm reading, most of you do not push into the 'high pain' area which makes a lot of sense to me since we want to keep pain and inflammation down. However about 2 years ago, I broke my wrist and ended up with CRPS (chronic regional pain syndrome). Fortunately for me, with aggressive PT, I overcame the CRPS. No one knows if I have or will have CRPS as a result of this surgery. But if I have it or will get it, aggressive PT is most likely to overcome it. (It can become permanent and spread throughout the body if the flare-up isn't controlled early on; early and aggressive PT is the key to control CRPS).

Also, my knee (leg) was quite stiff before the surgery. I have read that if your leg was stiff before surgery, it's most likely going to be stiff afterwards i.e not as good an outcome as someone who had less leg stiffness before surgery. That's another reason that I wonder if pushing the PT would be a good idea?

On the whole, I think I'm doing okay for being 12 days post surgery. I'm going for walks around the house with the walker, pain level is tolerable, doing my physiotherapy twice a day, alternating between Tylenol and Ibuprophen and occasional Dilaudid. Not sleeping very well though as still can't sleep on my side. I've tried the 'trick' with a pillow between the legs. BTW, I've never been a good sleeper. Still haven't learned to do steps with crutches. That's scheduled for tomorrows physiotherapy session. (They didn't think I was strong enough to do steps at the start and I know many people do steps while still in hospital). And yes, I live in a 2 storey house and so looking forward to a shower!!!!

Appreciate reading everyone's experiences on this website. It's helping a lot. Also appreciate being able to ask questions here as well. Good luck to all of us in recovery!

By the way, I live in British Columbia. Any other Canadians on here?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @abbyannie - and :welome:

I have read that if your leg was stiff before surgery, it's most likely going to be stiff afterwards i.e not as good an outcome as someone who had less leg stiffness before surgery. That's another reason that I wonder if pushing the PT would be a good idea?
For some people, stiffness before surgery is only an indication that recovery may take a little longer. But since complete recovery from a knee replacement takes a full-year anyway, a little bit longer is not worth worrying about.

Just know that, for many people, their knees recover just fine, even if there had been some stiffness beforehand.

Fortunately for me, with aggressive PT, I overcame the CRPS. No one knows if I have or will have CRPS as a result of this surgery. But if I have it or will get it, aggressive PT is most likely to overcome it. (It can become permanent and spread throughout the body if the flare-up isn't controlled early on; early and aggressive PT is the key to control CRPS).
Aggressive PT therapy is not the way to overcome CRPS, even though it worked for your wrist..
In fact, it's just about the worst thing you can do after a knee replacement. While it may have worked for your wrist, it is much more likely to cause complications for your knee

Your knee has been through major surgery that has caused a lot of trauma. It needs rest, ice and gentle movement, so it can heal. It's not lazy or unfit - it's wounded.
Stressing it with aggressive PT would only cause all those wounded tissues to become hot and inflamed, and it will slow down healing. It could even be one of the contributing causes of adhesions and chronic inflammation. Please don't go there.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

This is the approach to recovery that we recommend:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

tlfiore

Country
United States United States
@abbyannie So happy you found this forum! Like so many here, I would be lost and beside myself had I not found the wonderful people and most helpful advice on BoneSmart.

You and I had surgery on the same day, October 30, 2019. So, today we are 12-days post-op. The recovery is much more arduous than I envisioned. I sorta pooh-poohed the statement when my OS told me, "It's not the surgery per se that holds people back from moving forward with the surgery...it's the recovery."

I definitely see what a roller-coaster ride this process is. Pain management has been difficult for me. I'm also not at all a proponent of aggressive PT. I've had PT intermittently over the years for back-woes but nothing pertaining to surgery, or a broken bone. Aggressive PT at this point seems to grate my sensibilities. As my bones, tendons, joint, ligaments, tissue, etc heal, I'm more than happy to throttle up my PT.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find lots of help here.

caredFL

Country
United States United States
Not sleeping very well though as still can't sleep on my side. I've tried the 'trick' with a pillow between the legs. BTW,
Sounds like you are doing well. I had my TKR on 10/28 so a few days before you and I too cannot get comfortable on my side even though my knee pain hasn't been bad since the first week and is well under control, thankfully. Hang in there and I'm sure that side sleeping will return soon.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Ciscokid68
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom