Lounge Doctor

TKR Abbylayla 5th August RTKR

Starsfan22

Country
United States United States
I think a lot of us had the temperature issues. For me it worked itself out within a couple of months

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Starsfan22 the extreme hot/cold caught me off guard like so many other things about TKR. I thought I was pretty well prepared....

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Wondering why, before surgery, I was able to get into a shower, a tub shower, and shower on my own. It was with difficulty & pain for sure, but doable.
Now, almost 3 weeks out of TKR, I shower in a walk in shower w no tub but need to sit & need assistance.
Feel like I'm going backwards & I should be stronger not weaker.

Has anyone else experienced this?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Before surgery as much as your knee was an issue the rest of your body had not gone through the stresses and drain of a major surgery. Knee replacement is a big surgery for the rest of your body to deal with and it can take time to gain energy back.

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Thanks leejaa. Was starting to get a little concerned.
I start outpatient PT later today. Hopefully I will start regaining some strength & muscle.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Please go slow in PT. This is not a race and you are not training for a sport tournament. Slow and easy movements and nothing that causes pain is what is needed. Continue to remember that you had major surgery and your knee has had major carpentry done to it. I just worry since many have posted of overly aggressive exercises. Your strength and muscle will return with time and as healing continues.

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
@leejaa 1st session was long. He did not have me do anything too difficult & asked me continuously if I had pain. I may have found someone who "gets it". He is not affiliated w the corporate PT's. He's a "Mom & Pop" with a Doctorate.
Put a ball under my knee & lift my leg. Heel slides with help of a strap, hold 5 seconds, standing on my toes holding a bar to steady me, always saying if you have pain stop & if you can't do all reps its ok. All the things I've learned from Bonesmart! Hopefully this continues!
He is also very mindful of the fact it my knee that was replaced but my hips & shoulders are also in very bad shape. Right now my knee is elevated & iced. Doesn't hurt at all. My hips are screaming at me though.
I knew w all my other bad joints this was going to be an extreme challenge

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Called OS for Oxy refill. He wants me to make an appointment with their pain management office, which I did.
I will do whatever it takes but I'm not familiar w pain management Drs. Does anyone have experience w this? Has it been helpful?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
So far your PT sounds like he has common sense. I hope it all continues. I have not seen pain management doctors myself but I know some people who have and it helped them. Like everything other medical specialty it is a matter of finding a good doctor. When you meet them at your appointment bring a list of questions you have for them. I am sure some questions might pop into your head as you wait for the appointment. Have a peaceful evening. :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Stupidly got overzealous again & into a little setback. Felt pretty good Tuesday but when I got to PT I started having 10 pain in my right hip. Knowing I have bone on bone arthritis there too, probably should have called it a night right there. Instead I kept trying different positions until I knocked the pain down to bearable.
PT starts, they want me to do leg lifts, 3 sets of 10. No problem. But then ask me if I could do 3 sets of 15 AND with a 2lb weight on my ankle. Even though I KNOW the answer should have been no, I am so overzealous to rehab, I agreed. Did them, last set very hard.
Another exercise was standing heel then toe lifts. Again asked me to increase reps from 3 sets of 10 to 3 of 15. Of course I eagerly agreed.
That was how the entire session went...
Needless to say, Wednesday was a very bad & painful day. The knee, which previously only hurt when walking now hurt even at rest & elevated. The decent flexion I had the previous day, 94, I couldn't get close to. Spent the day icing & elevating.
Today only slightly better. Will ice & elevate again today.

At this point, although this is my own fault, I'm seriously considering dropping PT all together & just following the Bonesmart philosophy. These setbacks are counterproductive!

newlybionic

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You've learned that the PT session and the exercises you did were counterproductive towards your recovery. Stop PT for now to let your leg rest. The PT you have is being to aggressive with your new knee. When you feel better you can go back to PT if you want as long as you are in charge of the sessions. If something seems wrong for you to do, don't do it. I hope your knee calms down soon for you.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Your gut and your body is telling you to stop PT for now as you overdo with their encouragement and it is slowing down your progress. Slow and steady works really great for recovery and then when you are much further along you can work harder and it will not cause such painful issues and delay in recovery.

I hope you feel better soon. :ice::flwrysmile:
:console2:

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Today is 5 days after pushing it too much in PT. I have been extremely stiff w more limited mobility than usual for 4 days. It wasn't until mid afternoon yesterday that I started to feel a little better. Today when I took a shower, I still need to sit in the shower, I was able to get up & walk out of the shower w no crutches w just holding the sink & door to steady myself. This is not a big deal to a "normal" person but it's huge to me. I'm sad I have to drop PT for now but that seems to be case.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'm sad I have to drop PT for now but that seems to be case.
Drop PT for now and let that knee heal. Once you are fully recovered a bit of gentle strengthening might be of benefit. I will never understand why these people start doing daft things like putting weights on a new knee. It always ends in tears!

OP
OP
A

Abbylayla

Country
Your absolutely correct. I have to take some responsibility in that though because I've been laid up so long I'm hell bent on getting back on my feet asap. I agree to everything & anything. And I know better.
Can you recommend some stretching exercises that would benefit me at 4.5 weeks out?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here are a couple of threads about exercising that might be of interest:
Post-operative exercise – the BoneSmart view
ROM and extension stretches

My colleague Roy is an avid cyclist. He had BTHR and is back on the road again. Here is his approach to gaining ROM using a stationary bike:

Using a bike to gain ROM is pretty simple:
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Zippy107
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom