TKR Abbylayla 5th August RTKR

Getting my teeth cleaned Thursday. Have to take 4/500 mg. amoxicillin one hour before.
Is this the norm? Is it permanent?

It actually isn't necessary, but some surgeons are very cautious and they prefer it if you do take antibiotics. It's something you need to discuss with your own surgeon.

Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

My surgeon said I'd need to take antibiotics for dental work for the rest of my life.
After doing a bit of research for myself, I decided I would take antibiotics for the first year after surgery and then stop.

So somehow I've managed to get a UTI. Never had one before but I think I caught it early and I'm on antibiotics. I'm very concerned with my new knee getting infected. Has anyone been in this boat before?

I had my first UTI after my TKR, too. It seems to happen for some reason. I ended up getting them frequently and went going to a urologist. I was doing one of the worst things I could do for cleansing. I had been using antibiotic wipes and killing off my good bacteria. Make sure your wipes do not contain an antibiotic. My urologist recommended a bidet for cleaning and since I've been following her advice I've not had another one...praise God! I hope these suggestions will help you.

The infection didn't affect your new knee?
Whenever I hear infection of any kind I get very concerned

With an UTI the infection is in your urinary tract. An infection can only travel from one place to another if it is in your blood stream. You’re on antibiotics now so I wouldn’t worry about it.

On today's TKR zoom meeting the facilitator mentioned a number of times the outcome of TKR was dependent on the skill of the surgeon and commitment to PT.
PT really wasn't good for me, I quit and went on my own with fine results.
But I was surprised to hear the Dr mention PT so often. Is Bonesmart changing its PT recommendation?

Hello @
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.

We have found that some people benefit from more PT than others do. It's an individual thing. We want everyone to do what's best for them. Each knee is different and each recovery is, too. If someone benefits from more PT, that's great for them but doesn't mean that it would benefit the next person.

I believe doctors recommend PT because they think otherwise the patient would just sit around and not do much of anything. Many of the newer doctors have learned that aggressive PT is not for everyone and don't prescribe it. There are so many different attitudes concerning joint replacement recovery. Whatever is good for the patient should be the one that person does.

On today's TKR zoom meeting the facilitator mentioned a number of times the outcome of TKR was dependent on the skill of the surgeon and commitment to PT.
PT really wasn't good for me, I quit and went on my own with fine results.
But I was surprised to hear the Dr mention PT so often. Is Bonesmart changing its PT recommendation?
BoneSmart's recommendations have never been to not have physical therapy. In most cases, recovery can be enhanced with a good therapist who knows not to push hard, especially in those early weeks when things are healing. It is also possible to do what you did and have a great recovery on your own. But most people benefit from at least some time with a therapist to learn some basic exercises that will help regain flexion and extension.

Dr. Sinha is a strong believer in his patients obtaining early extension, so you'll hear him talk frequently about doing "exercises" for that - like when he mentioned today about keeping your knee propped up with something under your heel every time your are sitting down. That's an extension exercise we support here as well. However, for some patients that have a lot of swelling, doing that for extended periods of time can be quite uncomfortable and even cause additional swelling and pain. So, we would always advise that a person do any exercise or activity with a watchful eye on how your body responds.

A lot depends on the surgeon. Dr. Sinha is extremely good. He's in an out of a knee replacement in 30 minutes. His technique is gentle on the soft tissues as you saw from his surgical video today. This will usually result in patients having little inflammation and swelling after surgery. Not all surgeons are this accomplished, surgeries can take longer, and more tissue can be disturbed in the process. When this happens there is an increased possibility of post-op pain and swelling that might impact how a person can tolerate physical therapy. This is part of why we tell people that every recovery is unique. There are many variables in the whole process that can impact your post-op pain and swelling.

All this means just what we say up front for recovery guidance. Don't be immobile. Do activity as your body allows. Listen to your body after any exercise or activity and respond accordingly. If it hurts during or in the 24 hours afterwards, it's activity you shouldn't be doing quite yet.

It sounds like you took the right approach for YOU and that's what's important.

These hot flashes are by far worse compared to what I had during Menopause. They start at the bottom of my foot and go up through my body. PT says it’s normal. Ugh.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft