BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

A question about recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gettysburg, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

United States United States
    Hi everyone

I’m still on schedule to have my Rt hip replaced on May 9, I’m concerned because on June 23 my husband will be out of the country. Will I be able to walk ok by then? Will I need assistance or is it ok to be on my own. I have 2 dogs and a cat. Will I be able to care for them by myself? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Gettysburg....we're much the same age, and I also have 2 dogs. I'm now 5 weeks out from my op, had posterior with restrictions for 6weeks. I reckon your husband abandons you :wink: about the stage I am now.

I can get around with just one cane (worked through 2 crutches to 1 crutch to 1 cane) and now almost no support in the house. I found bending over hard for the first couple of weeks (made my husband do it) but then I started sticking my leg behind me (golfer's reach) and was surprised that it was easier than I'd feared. There's also the trusty picker-upper too (though it's never where I want it!).

My dogs have had a disruption to their walks (fortunately they're quite laid back) but I can put them on their leads and take them somewhere very quiet. They're pretty good, I just worry if they see a cat or something and forget their manners I might not be stable enough to hold back 40kgs of excited canine! Would be better if I took them out singly, but I hate the crying and howling from the one left behind :heehee:

To cut a long story short, I think I'd be fine on my own, even a couple of weeks ago..... there are people on the forum who have gone it alone from coming out of hospital, and lots of people who can give you ideas about how to manage any specific difficulties. So don't worry too much about this, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you can do for yourself.

Read all the advice about getting set up at home with toilet raisers, picker-uppers etc and line up friends and family to walk your dogs occasionally to keep their energy levels down to a dull roar and you'll be fine :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

By 6 weeks you should be OK as far as caring for yourself and 2 dogs if they aren't big dogs on a leash, but if you read everyone is different.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think you will do fine...I was grateful to have someone there mostly every day for the first five days but after that just had pop in family and friends.
    The post op blues can set in, did for me...so make sure you have some company and virtual friends are here to keep you company!:roseshwr:

5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Before you leave the hospital physio will check your mobility including going up and down stairs. You will be moving around on your own. And by the time your husband leaves for his trip you should be just fine in terms of making yourself a meal, showering etc. Have a friend stop by to check on you if you are worried. But many of us recovered on our own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Stopping by to say :hi: and offer best wishes for surgery tomorrow.
    Post on the Recovery side when you're able. We'll be there waiting and ready to cheer you on.
    Peace and comfort to you as you await Wednesday.
    @Gettysburg

7. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Good luck @Gettysburg .....look forward to hearing about your successful op when you feel up to it :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mojo333

Thinking of you today and remembering my anxiety the morning of my surgery...actually I think I just went into zombie detachment mode:nah:

Excited for you to get rid of that horrid hip pain and over to the recovery side.:ice:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mojo333

:wave: thinking of you and hoping you are being well cared for...
    The first days can be rather jolting, but just know this is temporary and we are sending healing hugs your way:loveshwr:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

Hi @Gettysburg
    Hope you're doing well, pain under control and resting comfortably.
    We'd love to follow your recovery journey.
    When your feeling up to it, please start a thread on the Recovery side so we can follow
    you and offer encouragement as you heal.
    A peaceful weekend to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gettysburg

Gettysburg junior member

Hi Layla

I didn’t have the surgery, I cancelled it 10 days ago when my hip stopped hurting. I wimped out basically. This is the second surgery I have put off because I can’t muster the courage to get it done yet. Thank you all for your support

Patty

• Like Like x 1
  12. Layla

Hi!
    Well, I'm happy to hear your hip isn't hurting. That's great news.
    I would have wimped out too if I wasn't suffering pain. May it long continue!
    Just know we're here if you ever need us.
    Wishing you a great weekend!
    @Gettysburg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  13. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Gettysburg......glad to hear your hip is behaving itself at the moment, don't blame you for cancelling.....unless you're in major pain it seems almost counterintuitive to disturb the status quo! Hope this quiet period lasts a long time for you, and the forum is always here when you want support :wave:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    You can do it!! By that time, you may be with no aids, or a cane. But no pain!! I think Tylenol will suffer a loss now that I am pain free! :snork: