• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR A positive surgery report

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
United States United States
From my experience, it’s normal. It can come from overuse, so it might be a sign you need more ice, elevation, and rest. There’s so much going on in there!
Thanks, I just started using a cane. Maybe that's why.

sistersinhim

Country
You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
I'm 4.5 weeks post-op now. I'm having some good days and some painful days still. Is that how things go? I feel like the cold weather is affecting it. Will I be able to predict the weather now? lol

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Yup, it seems to be how it goes. I was going along pretty smoothly, pain-wise, until last week. Dealing with a bit of a flare up now. I’m sure it’ll settle for a while then something else will wake up and nag at me. Over time, I imagine the flare ups will be fewer and far between, while the fatigue and stiffness will ease up slow and steady. Frustrating, but, in the end, probably well worth it.

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
Yup, it seems to be how it goes. I was going along pretty smoothly, pain-wise, until last week. Dealing with a bit of a flare up now. I’m sure it’ll settle for a while then something else will wake up and nag at me. Over time, I imagine the flare ups will be fewer and far between, while the fatigue and stiffness will ease up slow and steady. Frustrating, but, in the end, probably well worth it.
Gosh, I sure hope you are right. Thank you!

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
I'm 5 weeks and a few days post-op. I don't know if I'm where I should be. I still walk funny, don't really need a cane though. I can only go half-way backwards on my recumbent bike. Will I ever walk normal again? I'm starting to worry.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@Deamo - you're only 5 weeks into a recovery that takes 52 weeks. It's far too early to be making dire predictions.

Your knee will continue to heal and you'll continue to make progress at the speed your knee dictates, not at the speed you think your recovery should be progressing.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Recovery doesn't take place in a straight linear progression. It's full of ups and downs, steps forward and steps back, like this:
Recovery chart drawn.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
@Deamo - you're only 5 weeks into a recovery that takes 52 weeks. It's far too early to be making dire predictions.

Your knee will continue to heal and you'll continue to make progress at the speed your knee dictates, not at the speed you think your recovery should be progressing.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Recovery doesn't take place in a straight linear progression. It's full of ups and downs, steps forward and steps back, like this:
View attachment 78267
Thank you, I needed that. <3

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
Anyone have clicking when you are walking? I've suddenly started having it. Is it normal? Thanks

Lindylee

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes, clicks and clunks are all pretty normal. Even a year on I can get the odd click from my first TKR. Have a look at some of the Library topics, I'm sure there's something there.

Julia1911

Country
Several years ago, I sprained my ankle.

Boot was off in about 3 weeks, but it took 9 months to go down the stairs "normally" 1 foot after the other, like I had all my life.

Our back yard is on a hill, and I had to walk along the hill sideways like a crab for a year before I could go up and down normally on that.

But I did recover, finally.

And that was a whole lot less trauma than TKR.

OP
OP
D

Deamo

Country
Thank you for your post. I am 8 weeks post right now. I started Googling after I saw someone 4 weeks post taking long hikes. I suddenly felt like my TKR was a failure. I still have pain when walking and swelling. The only time I have no pain is laying in the recliner. My problem is winter in WI makes it impossible to get out. Thanks, everyone for the confidence posts. I am trucking along. :(

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
blank13
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom