Revision THR A new year and new hope: revision for loosened THR

Happy Two Month Anniversary.
Sorry to hear the news about your husband. Thankfully it's not as serious as they initially suspected it may be. It sounds like you're receiving great support through friends and neighbors. Please get the rest you need so you're able to care for hubs. Wishing him all the best for his surgery on Thursday. Keep us posted.
@prairienut

Oh what a tremendous lot you have had to contend with.:unsure:
So happy husband's tests were negative!
And that your hip was keeping it up with it all.
Prayers for your husband's recovery as I know the mental stress is the hardest to contend with.
:praying:

Very sorry to hear about your husband being so ill. When one is sick I know it is also very worrisome for the spouse. I would assume he must be in a lot of pain and really looking forward to his surgery to set him right. I hope everything foes smoothly as the week moves forward.
:flwrysmile:

Addendum to 8-week update: Yesterday, my PT said I didn't need to come back, gave me some tips for imroving balance and quad/glute strength at home, and sent me on my way. I'm so happy that this revision fixed the problem and then some.

Hi :wave: @prairienut
Yay...graduation day! :yay: Very happy for you...you're on your way:happydance:
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

I'm 10 weeks out from revision surgery. All is well except that I still cannot sleep all night on either side which is my preferred position. After 10 or 15 minutes, my hip starts to ache in the incision area, and I have to switch to my back again. Is this common at this point in recovery? It isn't a huge deal, but hoping the ache fades with time, and I can sleep in any position I like again.

Hi @prairienut
I believe the aching will ease with time.
Personally, I was several months into recovery before I even attempted side sleeping.
I was afraid even though it is my preference for falling asleep. Also, my op side was the side I fell asleep on before THR because the shoulder on my non op side often bothers me if I lay on it for too long.
Just keep trying and I'm sure you'll be able to tolerate it for longer periods as you continue moving through recovery.

Here is an article on side sleeping. I hope it helps -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-laying-on-my-back-when-can-this-be-done.32099/
Warm wishes for a wonderful Saturday!

Last edited:
Hi @prairienut
Hope all is well with you.
I won't depress you with letting you know the length of time it took to finally be able to side sleep...but you aren't where I was yet:)
It did finally come about.

Hope you have a great weekend!:flwrysmile:

Mojo333 I know you are bhr like me - how long did it take you to safely and comfortably be able to sleep on your side? I know we're all different but a rough guideline would be good to know.

At 11 weeks now. I try side sleeping each night, and each night I last a little longer on each side before flopping to my back again. I believe it will happen some day. I am doing very well otherwise. I am especially happy that I can take our hounds for their walk up a grassy slope and across an uneven meadow with NO PAIN whatsoever. I can barely tell which is the operated side. Don't tell Dr. Waddell, but I even RAN for a short distance on the soft ground. NO PAIN. In other news, hubby is making a comeback from his colon resection. He is now steadily gaining weight rather than steadily losing. He has 30 pounds to add on before he is back to a healthy weight. I am cooking up a storm for him in order to tempt him with tasty, nutritious ready-to-eat food. We're both on the mend and spring is here! Eager to get in the garden, but that has to wait until my Winslow Homer exhibit is done.

Mojo333 I know you are bhr like me - how long did it take you to safely and comfortably be able to sleep on your side? I know we're all different but a rough guideline would be good to know.
Safely...6 weeks I felt incisions all good...put pillow between knees.
Comfortably?:umm:
At 11 weeks now. I try side sleeping each night, and each night I last a little longer on each side before flopping to my back again. I believe it will happen some day. I am doing very well otherwise.
That's the way I tried it and it was well into the fourth month honestly!:sigh:

Glad all seems good with you @prairienut
So happy hubby is on the mend too.:tada:

Great news @prairienut, on the running Dr. Waddell won't care ... 11 weeks in ... is so close to 12 weeks, which is the general point at which surgeons allow impact on devices ... clearly your device has fused quite well with the bone ... and you're feeling the positive effects of good fusion ... I'm curious about beyond three or six months ... does Dr. Waddell have long-term restrictions? I just haven't seen much on restrictions after revision.

BTW2: I read someone's else's story (off this site) about revision surgery at HSS. This person also got referred to Dr. Waddell, and this person remembered Dr. Waddell saying "I love doing revisions." This person was quite happy with his revision, up and walking without pain much faster than he was after his primary surgery. Conversation piece: apparently Dr. Waddell's father was a famous orthopedic surgeon (don't know any more details than that).

Have you called his office to ask for sleeping tips? ... Sounds like sleeping is getting better ... I wonder if a little pain med right before bed would help. Not sure what your pain med regimen is now ...

It's great to hear how well your revision has gone. I used to wake up in the middle of the night and have to ice after having my bilateral hip replacement. I think in time your discomfort will fade.

@Going4fun, Dr. Wadded does indeed do a high percentage of revisions. He did three the day of my surgery. He said mine was the easiest because the femoral implant "fell out into his hands". He didn't need to pound it out as with some. I asked him right after surgery how long I would have the restrictions. He said "forever", sort of kidding but not totally. Now he says I can "cheat" a little in bending past 90 degrees, just don't do that AND twist at the same time. He is being cautious, and I don't mind at all. I do take 500 mg Tylenol at night to help with the ache when side sleeping. It allows me to stay longer on my side. Interesting about Waddell's dad being an ortho, too. I'll have to ask him about that.

Last edited:
@prairienut, love that the good doctor has a sense of humor ... on the restrictions ... He's really talking to you as a sophisticated patient. I think some of the "rules" and "restrictions" are usually stated so clear-cut, yes-no just to be sure patients don't violate the rule a lot. Good luck to you on sleeping better.

I hope I'm not getting on your nerves here, but you take two 500mg Tylenol at night? I assume two pills--or 1,000 mg? You know there is an extended release Tylenol ... 650 each pill ... and you take two ... for 1300 mg ... It's designed to last for 8 hours or so ... I've used that extended release version (I think it's called Tylenol Arthritis) ... and I loved it! Found it very effective.

@Going4fun, Didn't know about the extended release Tylenol. I have to admit I am quite sensitive to medications in gneral and find that a single 500mg works fine for the mild ache. I take two if I have more severe pain. I'll keep the ER version in mind if I need something to absolutely last all night. No, my nerves are fine but thanks for your concern! Today is supposed to reach 58 degrees so my convalescing hubby and I are going for a walk around the high meadow today -- it gets lots of sun. Good for vitamin D and bone building.

Don't tell Dr. Waddell, but I even RAN for a short distance on the soft ground.

I've yet to try this, maybe a little quick step, to grab a door that was about to close on me at my granddaughters school. That's about as close as I got. I figured I'd save running for the hopefully rare occasion I'd need to do it to save my life :heehee:

You're doing great! Keep it up and thanks for the update.
Happy Sunday! :SUNsmile:
@prairienut

@prairienut Hello! I just read your entire Revision story from pre-op through recovery. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I will need a revision on my 5.5 year old right THR :boohoo:. Loose stem just like yours, but with no real explanation as of yet.

Just had 6 cc's of fluid aspirated this morning to check for infection. Initial blood work was good except for an elevated CRP. Not a big deal because I had helped set up about 100 volleyball courts the day before the blood draw! If I didn't show any inflammation after that, there would be a problem!

I am kind of freaking out because I read too much here and other places on the internet. I'm not trying to psych myself out because I had a super recovery for the first go around, but when I read revision stories about no weight bearing, no 90 degrees, yada yada, it gets me thinking down the wrong path. Now that I've read your story, I'm in a happy place!! :loveshwr:

As soon as I started reading, I felt a New York connection. I'm out in Colorado now, but grew up in NY. Manhasset on Long Island to be exact. Had an aunt that lived up in Briarcliff Manor back in time. I have traced my family genealogy wayyyy back to a Frenchman that landed in New Haarlem in the 1670's. Anyway...

I have my pre-op thread started over here. I'm under a month now and it can't get here quick enough!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom