THR A new world..there better be coffee

For some the journey of finding what works is full of lumps and bumps. And it can be hard to alter a course that is not working for you!

But for those new in recovery if one approach is not working for you there are many others!

Frankly I have not thought about my hip in a week.. I am sore all over getting out of bed but that ten step journey to go pee works it all out!

@ceezee I made Garam Masala Chicken in a slow cooker accompanied by Cinnamon Basmati Rice and homemade Garlic Naan Bread and an apple fennel napa with parm and candied walnut salad.

My hubby insists on division of effort in the kitchen. I cook.. he cleans. The poor boy gets to clean every kitchen gadget and pot and saucepan I own tonight. I hate Fit bit.. I don't wave my arms while carrying stuff in the kitchen and it says I have been on the couch all day.

Your meal sounds great. I can smell it! I got into an Indian cooking phase last spring and the flavor combinations are incredible.

my husband and I have the same deal; I cook and he cleans. He does on occasion make a salad. I’m not a leafy green salad person. I grew up in Minnesota where salad means tuna salad, chicken salad, something with jello, cole slaw, potato salad, etc.

drop the Fitbit and get an Apple Watch. I've had both and the watch actually works. It accurately tracks steps and miles. Fitbit, not so accurate.

Hi @mainegirl1
So glad to hear you are feeling like you are through the tough stuff.
You are certainly doing well and it is SO nice to shed ourselves of hip pain.:yes!:
Well done.
For some the journey of finding what works is full of lumps and bumps. And it can be hard to alter a course that is not working for you!

But for those new in recovery if one approach is not working for you there are many others!
There are many other courses of recovery, and it really isn't too hard to change the course of what isn't working.
Our bodies tell us...and we only need to listen.
Glad you are back to healthy and happy

My goodness, it’s nice to be cooking again!

Tonight I made the rosemary brined pork chop from the cookbook and it was very juicy and flavorful but I thought it was a little too salty. I also made her Brussel sprouts dish which is just like mine except for the butter at the end. Also very good. I had warm smoked a filet of steelhead trout in Alder earlier in the day and we had that as a starter.

We've been having slices all this week of the Bourbon Spice cake I made over the weekend. The recipe is from Le Bec Fin, a Michlein starred restaurant in Philly that closed a few years ago. It’s super easy, holds, and freezes well. I hadn't made it for a while so this was a test run for Thanksgiving. I’m down to 9 people and I do almost all of the cooking. I’m so hoping I’m up to it all. I’ve been doing this for decades and I have it all planned out so I don’t think I’m being overly optimistic.

@ceezee I agree that the rosemary brined pork chops were too salty. But I thought it was my fault as I brined for 48 hours. too long. Have to fiddle with that one . The flavor was otherwise wonderful.
My part of Thanksgiving is pie and meat
We all hate turkey. Duck and chicken on the menu. Duck in smoker and chicken on bbq

For thanksgiving I make the turkey, oyster stuffing, mashed potatoes, peas, Brussel sprouts with chestnuts thyme prosciutto and stuff, cranberry leek relish, wild rice pilaf with dried cherries and toasted pecans, 2 pies, a cake, cole slaw, and ice cream.

easy peasy

I certainly agree with you, @Layla, that folks do need to be very cautious and careful during recovery to make sure that they don't foolishly commit to an ill-advised course of activity which may indeed cause unnecessary pain and slow down recovery. The "slow and steady" approach is probably the most viable option for most folks. For someone like myself, I think the fact that I was able to be fairly active before both of my surgeries (despite severe osteoarthritis in both hips), and that I don't have any other health problems, meant that I was able and more willing to push the exercise envelope a bit earlier than many. I realize I'm very fortunate as, for the most part, I've not had many problems with either recovery. What I meant in the comment you quoted is that folks should assess their own individual situations carefully, and in conjunction with their OS, but then figure out what works best and go with that. I was lucky that I got a release to PT at 6 weeks, and then decided to carefully start back with gym exercise and now Pilates as well, slowly and deliberately, and always monitoring how I feel during the exercise and certainly after.

When I said that folks sometimes have a hard time changing course , Bonesmart is an example of that. Its mere existence is due to the fact that some join because their recovery is not going as predicted and they want to be good patients at PT even if the PT is awful. You can read from their posts that they are skeptical at first!

I have met some people post THR and TKR in person who regret ever doing the op and found that they are doing PT every day for two hours and cannot fathom doing less to get better. One gentlemen at 4 months post TKR regretted it and said he was told to work harder and had never been told about icing or elevating.. ever and he said why would he do that now as his doctor did not mention it? Nor the hospital it seems.

@ceezee. Thanksgiving is a family meal for us.
travel is involved( some 300 miles) for those coming from CT. So we delegate.. I do pie and protein and cranberry sauce. One daugther does potatoes, one does squash soup and stuffing and pumpkin bread and green bean casserole ( with fresh beans fresh mushrooms and homemade onion rings..none of that canned stuff).
The one daughter that makes the potatoes is not a cook but she is the kitchen mopper upper and dishwasher. She loves to wash dishes

So I will take that Gladly..

Your meal is perfect! As I’d expect, your daughters are carrying on your (our) approach to cooking.

My family is all within a couple of miles and I invite a close friend and her daughter and any neighbors whose plans fell apart. In the past I used over the top cooking to relieve stress and Thanksgiving was ideal for this. So we all got in the habit of coming here with me doing the cooking. I’m basically making the same meal my mother did with a few add-ons.
I have many who do all the table setting and cleanup afterwards and I spread out the cooking. Much can be made ahead. My nephew has become my sous chef and spends Wednesday making dishes with me, followed by martinis! :martini:

At some point this dinner will go to him. So doing the cooking for this meal is not a crazy as it sounds. It’s the family’s favorite meal and a great time. We start talking about it over the summer. The selection of pies is a debate but I always make my mother’s pumpkin pie which is very light.

I'm just ecstatic that we don’t have to cancel it this year.

Well stated @mainegirl1 You summarized up the issue, very well. This is why we try to educate and help give the members another perspective and possibly an alternative view, when needed.
BoneSmart agrees that PT can be beneficial. It's the finding of that correct mix that sometimes gets tricky.

Every profession has it's horror stories and it's up to us, the patient or consumer, to do our homework to find the proper Surgeon, PT, Acupuncturist, Massage Therapist and so on..
Outside of the medical fields it's also the same way. Mechanics, Engineers, Truck Drivers, Policemen. All areas have some sort of bum wrap from a various bad incidents.
We need to educate ourselves to enable us to make the right choices/decisions.

Have a great day!

Off to hike this Saturday, @mainegirl1? It's raining here but even if it wasn't raining I wouldn't be out there trudging along. It's gym for me today. But I hope you are having some nice weather so you can be as active as you like--fresh air and some exercise, that sounds like a good thing to me. Enjoy!

Craft fair / Christmas crafts? Sounds like a nice autumn day out @mainegirl1 ! Wrap up warm. It's almost freezing on our outdoor thermometer at 6pm tonight. Brr. That's a bit too early for us in here in Worcestershire! Methinks it's gonna be a cold one this year. We're due.

It is a nice day. Craft fairs are packed and hot and we have to run outside! Its currently 28 degrees and bright sun. Actually nice enough to shed the jacket and just wear long sleeves. We had our first taste of snow but it barely counted. Another serving coming Tuesday.

Ladies, your cooking sounds lovely, but it's beginning to dominate mainegirl1's thread. The danger of that is that something important about her recovery will be buried in cooking chatter and recipes, and it may be missed.
That's happened before in other recovery threads and we don't want it to happen here.
So please, either limit your talk about cooking (and fairs) or take it to the Social Room, here
Social Room

There's already a thread in the Social Room about the pre-op preparation of meals and freezing them. Why not start a thread about Easy and Tasty Post-Op Cooking?

Well my recovery is pretty boring so maybe it is time to move on. After all that is what we all want and hope to get.
I can drop in on the social
room
I do perk at others recoveries
Peek! Hope everyone eventually gets perky!

Last edited:
Agree, mainegirl, the goal for most BoneSmarties is to have surgery and then get our real lives back. It sounds like you're doing a great job of that with your second hip. Congratulations!!

How nice to read that you are planning on stepping back into real life, @mainegirl1, and, I hope, nary a look back at that pesky hip (or knee). I agree that you seem to have resumed a full and satisfying life with activities you enjoy (including this baffling commitment to fancy meals) and that is what we all want, don't we? I feel as if I'm almost there and a day will come when I wake up and get out of bed without wincing and staggering a bit, and I will go an entire day without once thinking about my hips. I am the month before you, although we were scheduled to be "hip sisters" before I got the cancelation appointment. I think you were in reasonably good shape before surgery despite the discomfort and stiffness and you are providing to be one tough cookie as you've recovered so well. Hurray for you, and best wishes as you coast into 2020!

Baffling commitment to fancy meals. Husband likes my cooking and he tends toward depression. He works in the workshop during the day, and is on the computer too much ( aren't we all) This is not good for depressive people.
So we get out and do things together like hike and swim. We are also battling memory issues.
Life is. Life has been. We don't know how long life will be but have chosen not to spend it in the gym or at PT ( and believe me we have been there!!) Its just not for us.
We have a 50 year anniversary coming up on Friday. I am done with this hip! Though I do love in water psoas stretches and in water McKenzie stretches.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom