THR A new world..there better be coffee

It's certainly your choice but I'd still be icing on a regular basis simply because it's good for pain and inflammation as you know. It may be worth a try, especially if it brings you relief.
Feel better :console2:
@mainegirl1

Except I don't know what to ice. It all hurts for three feet waist down

I just did some stair climbing foot over foot and it feels bettee

I have a large gel ice pack that I span over both thighs. It’s not perfect but it helps.

I'm glad it feels better, but if it starts bothering you again, I'd ice the parts that were giving me the most discomfort for 40 minutes. Not sure how many ice packs you have but I used the blue gel packs and had several so I never ran out. The surgery center where I had my THR sent me home with a huge one, actually it was two. Two large pockets sewn down the middle with a Velcro closure on each end to place an ice pack so it covered a large area. I hope it continues to improve. Wishing you comfort and a peaceful night.
@mainegirl1

Ugh. What a night. Every three hours up to walk off the stiffness then back to sleep
Butt groin knee
But the ROM of the knee is more than its ever been since replacement and I am working at last on full extension which I could never do before
So I think the hip extensors and extensors are getting more workout than they are used to

Also simply standing I am taller. and the glutes are saying WHAA? I used to be folded over a little when standing
It will all be good.

:wave:
Hope you're doing well today @mainegirl and have a more peaceful sleep than you did last night. :yawn: :sleep:
Taller is a good thing! :yes:

I imagine that the combination of your previous knee replacement, coupled with this new hip, is requiring your body to do a lot of adjustments. The more active you become it mostly likely will stir things up a bit. That might be some of what is happening as you increase your activity.

At 11 months out I began having some knee pains on the opposite knee to my replaced hip. My doctor said it was not uncommon to have increased pain in another area following a replacement, as the body adapted originally to the altered gait and bad hip, and then had to readapt when it was replaced and the gait/movements changed once again. Made perfect sense to me.

So, one suggestion I might make is that even though you feel so strong and able, you might carefully consider any new movements (like 4 regular steps) and realize even little things might produce a ripple effect. Also, I found careful placement of pillows behind my back and under my legs were helpful when I did sit. (Depending on any restrictions you might have, of course.) :flwrysmile:

Hi @mainegirl1
Well, sounds like you are having “growing pains.”
I still wake up in the mornings and wiggle my leg to see what mood it’s in. It seems like one muscle group gets stronger and then another group whines and gets grumpy.
I am thinking that your recliner doesn't fit you right, that had to be a most unpleasant surprise to wake up in pain like that.
I remember not liking weeks 3 and 4 very much. But I’m now liking most weeks now!
Soon you will too. :flwrysmile:

Last night was OK.. I sleep on my operated side and after six hours of course everything is sore! Then its rolling to the other side.. and I just am not used to it and then back to the original side.. This morning on the hurty side I realized I was all tense and tried to breathe in through nose and out through mouth mindfully.. What is happening is I am tensing everything in sleep( and ice does not help that at all). So these wake up periods may be beneficial to learn to relax. I do not sleep at night in the recliner. It is just not a good fit anymore.

We went out to dinner last night and walked a bit on Portlands famously wavy historic brick sidewalks..

Dinner was lovely.. even though something with flashing lights and sirens passed every few minutes. The restaurant was right below Maine Med( where I had the surgery!)

Think I am over the big adjustment of going off aids. Feels quite natural to stand and just start walking without too much stutter stepping ( maybe one sometimes none)

I am looking forward to PT gym Silver Sneakers the pool and yes yoga... Just waiting for six week clearance in another 2.5 weeks.

I know, don't you wait for the 6 weeks to come @mainegirl1 ? Feels like theres been time for the little osteophytes to build up and fill in and make you a nice secure hip.
At 3 weeks plus mine feels stronger and more a part of me. I went back to the gym after my six weeks with the last hip and it was good to work other body parts too, and looking forward to that. Just wish I could do more outside walking but if I dont get out there early, it's way too hot and humid. Couldnt fall asleep till 3 am this morning, no pain or anything, just that disease I got way before hip arthritis, O.L.D....

Yup

O.L.D. Thats exactly what my friend said at dinner!
She had a hip replacement last Nov
I would love some warm. I hear a rumor we could have an 80 degree day next week
I would like to go paddling!
It is 52 degrees and I am wearing a sweater. So not today!
The Weather Channel keeps talking sbout all the East Coast being hotter than average
Hmmm. while it did get to 79 yesterday the entire week has been coffee and sweater weather otherwise

Have had two or three 90 degree days but that was in July

Last edited:
@mainegirl1! Sometimes I dislike when my family says, "Patience Grasshopper." I'm pretty good at this point in my life to self-monitor, but there can be times when I really want what I want when I want it! How I can't wait to get back my life of massage, workouts and pickleball, and hanging with friends. I still can't put my shoes on (on my HR side), my family took off for Bend for a few days and I'd love to take a walk down the street. But I'm relegated to walking back and forth in my small space, and going up and down the 14 stairs to the main house.

Sending you Love and Light for ongoing healing so you can fill up your life with the activities that bring you JOY!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and Happy Thursday @mainegirl1
You're brave sleeping on your op side. I couldn't bring myself to try for a couple months and even then it was only for short periods of time and didn't feel all that comfortable. I'm sure all in my head. I experienced Posterior and laying on my side meant laying directly on my incision.

It's nice you got out to dinner and enjoyed it. You must not have problems with restaurant seating as so many do in the early weeks of recovery. Fifty Two degrees?! I've heard also that the East Coast is currently hot and humid. Not so in your area obviously. Rest up...it sounds like you have a lot to look forward to in 2.5 weeks.
Enjoy your evening!

Hi there, @mainegirl, here's hoping you get a few more sunny and warm days before fall firmly slaps summer upside the head and across the room. We've got sunshine here in the PNW today, but it's definitely cooler and while I'm enjoying it, I know that tomorrow and through the weekend will bring overcast and some intermittent rain. I'm impressed that you were actually able to sleep on your operated side. I hopefully try rolling there every few days and I am afraid I'm not there yet and invariably roll onto my back. I think in these early days it probably doesn't matter how you sleep, back or side, you are simply going to feel stiff and sore in the morning (or at least that's my experience). But, getting up and resolutely moving around as soon as I can generally helps this dissipate and I am able to get around without too much discomfort. Your dinner out and post dinner walk sounded very pleasant--nice to get out of the house and "do stuff", isn't it? Happy Thursday!

@Layla and @Barbaraj

Restaurant seating has never been an issue.. I have even done a booth slide.. Perhaps because my little 5 inch incision is anterolateral even sleeping on my side I am mostly off it.. Posterior would be a whole other ball game! I would even consider a personal whoopee cushion!

Shamefully in my 24 post op days we have been out to eat 11 times... This is never good for the waist. Went out to a lakeside restaurant with the neighborhood retired ladies and had lunch on a sunny deck watching the loons do their fall dance before leaving for the winter. Never even thought about the hip! And that is wonderful.

As for our weather take a look at where the Weather Channel people stand.. Right over Maine.. No one in the US much cares about the weather we have currently as they already have had it.. But we did a big no no serving Dorian to Nova Scotia . It did a fair amount of damage there but you don't hear much about it.

Dang it, @mainegirl1 I am so jealous of your side sleeping! Were you able to do that from the beginning? Getting really, really REALLY tired of back sleeping. Out to eat 11 times? Man, I'd love that! And glad that restaurant seating, which can be challenging for recovering hipsters, isn't an issue.

@Barbaraj no not from the beginning but about the end of week 1
Funny how we forget dates. Ot all blurs into a continum. I know I was side sleeping before staples out. They never gave me an issue
Today did lots of walking
Feet tired and speaking now
Hip will probably join in at 2 am

Thanks for putting your personal story and experience to this. It gives it much more meaning! It's the same as someone climbing Mt. Everest. One can never conquer that mountain, despite what they think. It will win every time. more because climbers never know from minute to minute what challenge it will present. To understand the mountain, the beauty of it, the dangers of it, can only help us make a successful climb and return with as few "accidents" as possible.

In my recovery, I probably dined out for the first time at 3-4 weeks post op...where you are now. You've been having some fun! Love dining al fresco too. The days to enjoy that in my neck of the woods are dwindling down quickly. I'm sure for you also with morning temps in the 50's. I'll bet your kitchen in better shape than mine was with my husband on the loose in there daily. :hairpulling: Eating out is not usually not great for the waistline as you mentioned because you tend to order things you don't normally put in your grocery cart. At least I do.

Had a chuckle over the "booth slide". Didn't that become an exercise in futility pre-op? I recall sitting on the edge of the booth in those days because there was no sliding sideways on my rear happening. It's one of the things I remain conscious of every time I've slid into a booth post op. It's just one pleasant reminder of the advantages of this surgery.

I haven't heard of the Dorian damage In Nova Scotia. Very sad and unfortunate.
Hopefully your hips don't ache at 2:00 am in the morning. Rest your weary feet tonight...adventure awaits you.
@mainegirl1

While recovery for everyone is not the same and I expect some dope slaps that three to four week interval is wonderful.. You can forget that you were disabled.
I have a disabled placard.. There were some disabled spaces. I parked deliberately in normal spaces making maybe an additional minute walk. It was a matter of weighing the pros and cons for sure.
There were four folks having a gabfest in front of the restrooms in one store. Two were on motorized wheelchairs and two more on crutches.. There wasn't much room to squeeze by but I did without comment. Feeling grateful that I could.
@Layla I find there is the booth slide with pants and then there is the booth squeaky ouchie slide with shorts or a dress.. The latter certainly not comfortable.. Insertion was always easier than extraction pre op!

Al fresco todays lunch conversation was about caterpillar doo doo which everyone's decks and furniture are slathered with.. So much for al fresco......

No one asked me about my hip.. Part of me is hurt and part of me says WOO HOO! I did return the walker later in the day to a neighbor who loaned it to me.. Pushed it on its wheels .2 miles.. No way was I going to deploy it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562