THR A new world..there better be coffee

@mainegirl1 my left hip is 4 months in and experiencing stabbing pain had a cortisone shot yesterday it’s much better today

The rolling pin helps
Yep, been having IT band knee pain as well and PT recommended the rolling pin (I don't have one, not being a pie maker)--I've found a metal water bottle works, especially if filled w cold water. I REALLY want to do some IT band stretches but not quite yet--not a recommended movement this early.

All this knee pain sounds like not much fun, @mainegirl1 , but if it is the IT band that's causing it, seems as if a little further down the road you might be able to resume some gentle stretching that will help with that. Horrifying to read that someone's back was thrown out during your surgery! And RE: chicken cutting, I, too, am someone who buys all my chicken cup up and has never done this myself. I can't imagine, @ahipgma, even wanting to watch a video of what's done to us during hip replacement surgery. Even thinking about watching something like sounds horrifying. Those who are able to step back emotionally and watch with a dispassionate eye are amazing to me--no way I could do that!

You know what, @Barbaraj, I am a nurse who always did bedside and who has seen a lot of icky stuff and usually am able to distance myself from the sights and "be there" for the patient, a skill all of us come by naturally or cultivate or we cant do our job.
Seeing the surgery ( or as much as I could see of it before I turned it off, I was going to have it done a few weeks after.) Did really really help in that it explained why the healing process takes so long, and we have to expect setbacks and not be too surprised about the slowness. God put us together so well and the surgeons defy all that and cut through and dislocate in order to fix us. Seeing that put the lie to the ones that scale mountains days after surgery. Those folks are a rarity though we wish we were them (? Grammar?:heehee:)

You nurses are amazing folks, @ahipgma, no question about it! I think it was brave to watch the video at all, and especially--eek--before surgery. But I am sure if you can step back it was an excellent tool for reminding yourself (and all of us who are whining away about the slow pace of recovery) that this is really major surgery and it is going to take time. And those folks who climb mountains a week or so after surgery? I am convinced they are just "urban myths".

Happy Saturday to you @mainegirl1
Glad you enjoyed paint class. I'm imagining it would be fun.
Fading bruise is moving in the right direction, mine only appeared at that stage for some reason.

I hope that being on your feet more yesterday has had no ill effect. Interesting photo CricketHip posted on the ITB. Possibly that is what's troubling you after all. Whatever it is I wish you comfort and hope it eases soon.
Hope you have a great day!

@mainegirl1 Hi, so did you get to the coast to take pictures of the waves from Dorian? Once it speeded up it really went up the coast fast. Did you get a lot of rain?

@Cecropia we are just leaving Pemaquid and the waves werent high
No rain not much wind
Poor Halifax though. . Its only 200 miles away
The lighthouse and museum were open and I ventured cautiously on uneven ground.
I passed on going down the cliff. There is a famous tidepool where you can get reflection of the lighthouse. Sent hubby with camera instead
Now off to another island and beer and oysters!

Ah, Pemaquid--one of my favorite places. Good call not to venture down the rocks.

@gertie if I had my actually useful
hiking poles I would have
Nooo I. brought the less helpful cane . One support wasnt enough for the upended shale

Yes, I can picture the terrain! I imagine a cane wouldn't have been enough.

We also walked the little beach by Hendricks Head Lighthouse. Has stairs to it.
The funny thing about driving last night is that I have not driven the truck in a long time and kept turning on the windshield washer when I wanted high beams!
Walking slowly and deliberately on uneven ground felt wonderful! Not far. just a few hundred feet.
When I studied to become a medic I had to do 30 intubations. I watched in the OR some hip snd knees and gall bladders. So I have a real good visual.
I wonder if they swore at my hip. I remember the doc who swore when he was trying to get a gall bladder out the tiny laparoscopic incision.
He dropped it into the abdominal contents.

sssh. Off to prowl LLBean and make use of disabled parking

@gertie if I had my actually useful
hiking poles I would have
Nooo I. brought the less helpful cane.

Good Grief! I'm happy you made that choice. I don't want to see any posts from the ER.
You're sure having fun! Your life is an adventure, no doubt about it.
Hopefully you enjoyed the beer and oysters.:egypdance: Try not to spend all you money at LLBean. :wink:
@mainegirl1

Hahaha!
Good, I know you'll be safe at home...well maybe.
If anyone can find trouble to get into, it would be you.:wink:
Love and hugs to you. :friends:
@mainegirl1

Last edited:
Woke up achy but a good achy.
Walking around the house helps me stretch it out
No aids heel to toe long strides
Knee is much better and I can feel the ITB releasing
Have to prepare for the game today on the road
to SB LIV. short trip to buy veggies and yarn I did two pair sox during down time. Out of yarn

Et tu@Ptarmigan! How is today for you?

I am amazed with your activity so early, I envy you. My IT band is so tight and muscles into my bum so sore. My PT gave my a stretch for the IT band however I don't think it's ready for it. You're definitely staying cautious and enjoying life. You rock girl! :surfer:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back