THR A new world..there better be coffee

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
United States United States
I heard that my surgeon likes to make early rounds with coffee in hand.. I don't think I will have the presence of mind Monday to start a post op thread legibly ( and I am only taking my phone) but come Tues at 7 am he better bring two..

I will mention his name post op ..

Last edited:
Hi @mainegirl1
Down to just hours now until that new hip is in place. Here's some reading while you're still clear headed.
I hope you have a peaceful Sunday!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yikes, Monday is the big day, @mainegirl1 It sounds like you're as ready as you can be, and I'm hoping that everything will go smoothly and you'll be out of surgery and home resting comfortably (with lots of happy drugs) within a day or two. I hope you have a few fun activities planned for this weekend, to take your mind off surgery. Cheers!

Love the title of your thread. The first thing I asked for when I woke up in recovery was a cup of coffee. It became a joke. Coffee was the highlight of my hospital stay. Wishuvg n you all the best!!!

Last edited:
Love your thread title. @mainegirl1 Hope everything goes really well tomorrow. Will be watching for your updates. Bootleg coffee was my only request with my hospital stays. Neither hospital had decent cups.

Had not thought of asking my surgeon to hook me up. You are a creative thinker!

:rotfl: I picture @mainegirl1 in the hospital hallways offering her pain meds to anyone who will get her coffee.. I've never acquired a taste for it so can't relate but my husband suffers without it. I can't wait to read your updates,, no pressure, just when you can and have had your coffee.. remember, you got this!!

:roseshwr:Healing hugs in advance, my friend.
Time to get on the hippy happy side of life.:yes!:

Happy Shiny New Hip Day!
Wishing you only the best. Post when you're able, we'll look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sending a hug and hoping they keep you comfy.
@mainegirl1

You made it. Considering how early you had to be at hospital, I bet you have your shiny new hip already. Hoping you are resting comfortably. Looking forward to your recovery posts when you are able.

Wishing you great pain control, quick healing, and many cups of great coffee in your future.

Yup, just adding my good wishes to everyone else's positive thoughts. Given the time difference, I am assuming you are out of surgery with your brand spankin' new hip and, I hope, in recovery and sipping that coffee with relief. Can't wait to hear more, @mainegirl1 and welcome to "the other side"!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member