• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

A new surgery date

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yay after the misery of my TKR cancelation (due to a tiny mosquito bite) I have a new surgery date of the 5th March. Yay. I am now a moving ecological disaster with every insect repellant available on my leg! I have lemon eucalyptus plus Deet. I can't have this happen again (even if it was nuts in the first place). Its so hot here and I am an ouly but unbitten mess.
But, now I have new pain. My xray shows no cartilage but I was coping. 2 days ago I developed excruciating pain above and below the inner aspect of my knee. Weight bearing is a challenging. Im wondering if its bursitis (knee is just as swollen as before) or maybe ligament damage.
In icing, elevating, compressing and living on Tramadol. Using crutches or a stick. Does anyone have any suggestions? Im a prison auditor. I have to walj about 10000 steps 3 x week. Currently its only 500 painful steps. I think I'm in trouble. Ant suggestions on how I can make it working thru the next 3 weeks would be gratefully accepted. Xx

Pumpkln

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
rosieNZ,
Glad you have a new surgery date and will be able to have your TKR behind you.
Kinesio taping your knee might help you get through the next 3 weeks, a Physio can show you how to tape your knee.

In addition to tramadol you can take paracetamol. Be sure to add up all sources of paracetamol so you do not exceed the daily maximum of 4,000 mg.

Here are some routines Josephine has suggested.

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks so much will try that taping. Its grim but well I live in paradise so am just a little guilty at complaining!! Its Sunday. Its 28C with a soft gentle breeze. I'm watching womens cricket on TV with a limp cat on my lap, a dog at my feet and my husband mak8nf watermelon caipirinha (thank you Brazil) so who needs to walk. Tomorrow may be differant though!!!!

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I hope the tape helps and I’m glad you get a new surgery date.

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks so much for the support. I thought I was desperate for surgery until this new problem happened. Now I'm truly in a whole mess of pain and can't weight bear. Who knew it could get worse (apologies to all who are in this dreadful place already) xxx

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It just adds insult to injury that if you’d had surgery when you were originally supposed to, this wouldn’t have happened. :console2:

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yes. The surgery cancelation was so unexpected. I was just holding on for it. So needed to get over it and be positive. I thought I had it together Now I can't weight bear without intense pain. Using crutches helps (and improves stability) but OMG I don't know how I will walk any distance for the next few weeks. I keep telling myself to harden up but so far that isn't working!

julie1968

Country
@rosieNZ glad you got a new date. I'm right with you mine is March 7th. Hoping everything goes well and you get on the road to recovery. I know what you mean by pain I have it daily also day and night

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thank you. We just have to limp on and make it to that op eh?
Today is Monday in New Zealand and I am off to work with my brace, ice packs and crutches! Not glam but its the best I can do.
Best wishes for a stress free time between now and your surgery day. Xx

julie1968

Country
@rosieNZ nice to have someone that's going thru the same thing. Husband is supportive but he really doesn't understand the daily pain etc. Have a great week the days are going very fast

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yes the beauty of this forum is the collective understanding of people from all walks of life.
We just have to stay positive and be grateful there is a solution!
Imagine what it must have been like before modern surgical techniques and medication! My husband is quite lucky he has been spared that!!!

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Only someone who has suffered painful, arthritic knees can grasp the agony of simply standing or walking a few steps. Gritting your teeth and bearing it only gets you so far.

I admit I laughed when you called yourself “an oily but unbitten mess.” Quite the image, but totally understandable. Anything to get to that surgery! I felt the same way. Hang in there. Hope you find some pain relief soon.

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Thanks so much for the support. I value that alot. Only 21 days to go! Mosquitos 0 so far but its hot and shutting doors and windows at night to keep them out is not an option. My home has repellents and sprays strategically placed like other people have ornaments. My poor husband was trying to be funny last night wearing an odd collection of bug repellant containers in his builder tool belt. He sats he has become addicted to Deet and lemon Eucalyptus. The heat is making us crazy!

OP
OP
R

rosieNZ

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Celle
Thanks my new date is 05 March. But could be the week earlier if the RMO strike is cancelled. Wouldn't that be fab but I'm not relying on it.
My knee buckled going down steps on Friday and I am suffering. I thinks its an MCL injury (pain above and below the inner aspect of the joint). Can still walk just with support. GP says its a sprain. So its on a cocktail of meds for me. Such a pain. Thank goodness foe knee replacements!! I dunno how I would walk without my previous surgery.

bottomshollow

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
moved 12.jpg
above from Tricialen's thread into your thread where it properly belongs. You responded to a post made by Celle---but the post was for Tricialen, and she was confused by your post.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Seniorka
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags