THR A New Ride Begins - The Puckhead's recovery

OK, so I've lost count of how many weeks it's been since surgery, so there's that indicator of progress, but also just wanted to pop by quick and say...

....I cannot believe this....

...never thought this would happen....

....you guys.....hold on...I hope you are sitting down....

...deep breaths...

....CHASE is dead!! Yes, really! You see, crazy lady stole Maggie's baby and was going to run away to Argentina with said baby, but then Chase, of course, hopped into a cop car along with the cops and told them where to go and then crazy lady saw all the fuzz and sirens and stomped on the accelerator and then, ooops, ended up driving off the pier and spash! Into the bay she went with an Emmy-reel scream. Chase immediately hopped out of the police car (after being told that, no, no, nothing you can do, let the authorities handle it...authorities! Can you imagine?)and ran to the edge of pier, stripped his shirt and shoes off (but not his belt or socks, nor did he think to maybe leave his wallet behind?) so we all got a good luck at the manly zombie chest before he dove in after the sinking car. Then, not to be outdone, Bad Seed came along, kicked off his shoes and rolled up his shirt sleeves (what the...???) and plunged in as well. Bad Seed and Maggie have been having an affair, you see. Pretty soon Chase surfaces with a bundle still perfectly wrapped in a blanket and hands over the baby to Maggie and then plunges back down to rescue crazy lady and Bad Seed. This is one miracle baby, folks. It's seen in Maggie's arms chortling and perfectly dry, as if just waking from the most serene nap. Bad Seed pops up with crazy lady hanging onto him, so that's one save for Chase and one for Bad Seed.

So, curtain on Season 6. Season 7 opens and now we have a cgi falcon flying around as well as the weird liquid transitions, but also....no Chase in the opening credits! The actor actually left! Now, I'll allow for the possibility that he may yet emerge from the bay, zombie staggering, covered in seaweed, bleeding from a shark bite and carrying some buried treasure he found while "dead," but....for now, Bad Seed is now the leading man. I feel....strangely kinda sad. I sort of bonded with Chase back in the day of throwing his crutches into the vineyards. Well, three more seasons left to see if he returns.

Meanwhile, back in reality....

Got some milestones to report!

My wife and I had an overnight getaway to celebrate finally being out of the thick of constant crisis and recovery mode. We went to a hotel and saw a dinner theater production. For those in the hip recovery know....this meant several new feats accomplished: hottub sitting, unfamiliar bed sleeping, sitting for three hours for dinner/theater. And, most of all, it meant NOT focusing on my hip, but rather, enjoying the evening. I am pleased to say I could sit in the hottub and enjoy how my legs felt like noodles afterward (they hadn't been that relaxed in ages). I could sit the entire show/dinner and not really think about whether I was going to be in pain when I stood up and....I wasn't! A little stiff, sure. My leg in general is still a bit hinky/vulnerable/janky/weird/strange, but I sure noticed the night/day difference in being able to get up from the table and walk without that horrid catching or sharp pain.

I am back to work and that is going well. I LOVE the walk from my car to the office now. Used to hate it. I freaking love getting up from my chair to refill my water or use the bathroom or just wander over to visit someone without first wondering how much pain I was going to have standing. I do my best, but it wasn't long before I was back in the bad habit of sitting with my legs wrapped around my chair and leaning forward for hours....that's just how I naturally work (long bouts of concentrated work), but luckily, only a bit of grumbling and tingling from Lefty.

Best for last....I have skated!!!

Repeat: I HAVE SKATED!!!
:happydance::spin:

I started bringing my skates to the walking track, which is rubberized and so I could practice standing/walking in my skates with the guards off. My wife came with me to an open skate and for the first couple of laps, I used the walker thingie that little kids use to hang onto, but after a few laps I ditched it and....wow, wow, wow!!! I cannot describe how it feels to skate without wondering whether each stride is going to hurt. Lefty feels pretty darn strong and suddenly I can use BOTH legs to stride now. My wife said she hadn't seen me skate with that much ease or confidence in years. I thought I'd be very nervous about open skates because there were a few hotdogging teens there, but I realized I felt strong and confident enough that they didn't bother me. In fact, they grabbed my walker that I'd ditched and started playing with it. You're welcome, boys. I've skated three times and each time gets better - started with 15 minutes and last time I ended up out there for 45 minutes. Ice afterward, of course! Best of all, no increased pain or discomfort the day after. Some soreness, some complaining, some tingling, but nothing that I'm concerned about. Just my body letting me know it's still sorting some healing out.

My wife said that I had the same look of amazement on my face when I took my first strides on the ice as I did when I took my first steps after surgery. I really didn't understand how much that pain was taking from me until it was gone. Now I get it....when people say this surgery can be life changing, it's true. When I used to read about the healing timeframe taking up to and sometimes beyond a year, I would get really depressed and sulky. Now I'm thinking...wow! It's going to continue to keep getting better! Not just the big things, but the small nuances. So, so glad to have embarked on this healing journey and had the opportunity to share and learn with all of you here.

So I thought this was going to be a short update and I'd end with "I'll be back with a longer post later." I should know better than to think any time I sit down with a keyboard it's going to be short! :rotfl:

P.S. @cold_brew - I found a pair of compression shorts with pads in the thighs, hip bone and tailbone by searching for 'figure skater crash pants.' I saw a skater wearing well-padded shorts while doing her jumps, so I asked her what those were. My other option was to get a set of football pads, but I didn't know how well they'd stay if they weren't sewn in and, plus, finding adult sized football pads is not that easy! Not a game they expect adults to play unless they're getting paid for it! The extra padding does give me more confidence mentally. I found the shorts at Shock Doctor, but you're sure to find other brands if there's one you prefer.

P.P.S. -- for fellow birdwatchers. Have seen a pair of yellow warblers, white-throated sparrows and freaking pelicans flying over the lake down the street! Also, I haven't seen the parent eagles on the nest we found, but we have spied a little head poking up from the nest. I was going to call Avian Social Services on the parents because I never see them, but apparently they do spend a lot of time away from the nest.

P.P.P.S. -- originally had thought I was going to re-plant my entire yard this spring. Um....no. Decided I don't want to spend the money and all that time/possible pain when I have a certified red thumb anyway. So a pro is coming out to take a look and among the flowers I want to ask her to plant are hellebores, which remind me of posters here who shared their sights when I was sitting staring at snowbanks. :flwrysmile:

P.P.P.P.S ---erm....I meant to put all the boingy boing happy emojiis after my skating update, but they ended up down here. Well, they're worth repeating...
:happydance::happydance::happydance::spin::spin::egypdance::wowspring::yay:

Yayyyy! I couldn’t love this update more, @thepuckhead! Hot tub sounds fan-freaking-tastic! The whole trip does! Loved your description of getting back on skates! I think white-throated sparrows have such a beautiful song. They pass through my neck of the woods in early spring and brighten my mornings.

This was a great read! I am thrilled things are going so well for you and I love how deeply you appreciate it all. Aren’t we incredibly lucky to live in a time when this surgery exists?

:loveshwr:

Congrats Puckhead and thanks for the Falcon Crest update! LOL!
When we are first in recovery and we read it could take a full year to realize full extent of the recovery seems like such a long time and yes, those first few months seem to drag on but then all of a sudden the calendar is turned and we are well on our way to one year plus!
Older we get time goes by faster. That's good for us in recovery!

@thepuckhead Congratulations on getting back on the ice!! Ahhhh the smell of a cold rink (yes there is a smell for all u non hockey players lol!), the rubber mats that never seem to fully dry out, the crisp feeling of Tuk Steel grinding into the ice... what's better than that!! But most of all the wind, that gentle wind that you feel when skating.. the little things!

Did you use walker on ice or stacked plastic milk crates with zip ties?? lol

Rollerhockey pants also thin and good for 'in case I fall down' risk.

Love that your wife said your form was so good!

Most importantly you had that HOLY ***T moment of I'm actually out here doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great progress, congrats! Treat yourself to a new graphite Bauer stick, tape it up, wax the blade and do a little stickhandling and report back!

Holy moly, @Charlie33 --that is one legendary highlight reel! I think a new stick is definitely in order so I can practice doing moves just like that, LOL!

Oh, yes, the smell of cold zamboni chemicals is like no other. It's partly why I kept going to the walking track that went around an arena - keeping that motivation in my nose as well as in my mind! And the first time I picked up my speed at the sight of open ice and got that cold wind in my face again...ah, definitely worth the patience of not pushing anything until I was cleared by the professionals and I felt ready.

I have a few cans of beer that I keep on hand for after games. I treated myself to one after the public skate - really tasted much better than it should have!

I am so sorry that your non op leg is now creating problems and you're facing another surgery for a matching pair of titaniums. I am glad, though, that you persisted until you figured out what the problem was and there are options for you that will get you back to where you want to be. You're so kind to post helpful and encouraging replies to everyone here, including me, despite what you're going through. It helps more than I can say (and I can say a lot of words!! :snork:)

@thepuckhead Beer is like life: one delicious drink you have to slurp up! :loll: Also, and this is something I can only admit here.... yes... I listened to Cher during my work out yesterday... Shhh! Don't. Tell. Anyone.:heehee: Kidding aside (or was I??) AC/DC Thunderstruck the locker room fav before hockey games..

Joking aside, appreciate the kind words. Best advice I've been given is what I've offered here.. in recovery there is no destination, only the journey. :)

@thepuckhead - what an amazing update … about Chase! Lol - but seriously, I hope your wife took some video of you skating pain-free. I know that feeling when you do something that your mind is telling you will hurt but then it just … doesn’t! I had that experience yesterday doing some stretches for martial arts that I had not been able to do for like 10 years. I even sat cross-legged yesterday without having to put my knees up by my ears. I won’t be confused with a yogi, and anyone else would just think it was a normal thing, but I was internally shocked I was doing it.

So happy for you and hope the progress just keeps on coming!

I listened to Cher during my work out yesterday

Cher is iconic and absolutely everyone understands that you’re meant to belt out the chorus along with her every time the songs play. Cher makes you stronger. Cher makes you faster. Cher increases confidence. Cher insists on happiness. Cher knows you cannot turn back ti-iime, but if anyone could find a way, it’s her. Cher is here for you @Charlie33 and for all of us as we find our joints and feet again. In fact May is Cher and ice cream month. ENJOY.

Wow, it’s been four months already? I’m sure it feels like it to you.
Happy Four Month Anniversary! I hope all is well and you enjoy a nice long holiday weekend. Take good care!
@thepuckhead

Helllllooooooo!!

Checking in for my one year (no, I can't really believe it either) post-THR update! And I found Cher on my thread. CHER! How fantastic is that?

First things first: I can assure anyone thinking of watching Falcon Crest that watching all the way to the bitter end is an experience you need not have. By season 9, its original storylines were as lost as Chase under the sea and loyal (or, maybe, compulsive?) viewers were left to endure posturing and a "great" feud between Bad Seed and a brand new villain who spent his time yakking on a cell phone the size of a brick and sitting in front of VAX machines with lines and lines of Important Green Numbers scrolling by. I will destroy you, Bad Seed! No, I'll destroy YOU, you evil...um...Wall Street Banker? Or something? Anyway, Evil Brick Phone Guy should realize that getting involved with Bad Seed will invariably lead to your demise. Witness all the women who have perished trying. That includes Maggie, an original character. How did they kill her off? Well, she dove into the pool to get a toy left behind by her kid and her giant diamond on her engagement ring (from Bad Seed) got stuck in the drain. Cue gruesome underwater struggle with lots of bubbles and Bad Seed is going to be paying for the kid's therapy for the rest of his life. If diamond stocks tanked briefly after that episode, now you know why. But finish the series I did and now all of you know how it ends. :) You lucky, lucky people!

Oh, wait. The hip.

Had my one-year post up with the surgeon and everything looks good. More importantly, I FEEL amazing. I have the tiniest bit of occasional discomfort in the same area that was bugging me before the surgery, but I also have stretches of time where Lefty feels 100%. Surgeon says the last bit of discomfort is likely tight hip flexors that were tight before the surgery because they were overcompensating and that makes sense to me. Moreover, I have the green light to start pushing strengthening and deeper stretching. Am told the chances of dislocation from range of motion is almost zero because by now the capsule around the new hip has healed and is not quite what I came to this Earth with but is "pretty darn close." Bonus - I also asked about inhaled steroids (take them for asthma) and osteoporosis and he said that my bones looked to be in excellent condition. And I guess he'd know, LOL!

In no particular order, here is a list of all of the things that completely amazed me post-op:

1. Skating without the hip catching is very, very good for one's hockey game. No more staring at the puck, wishing I could go after it. I go after it as hard as I can. I battle on the boards. I tangle with defenders in front of the net. I "hop" the boards (well, more of a "swing myself over" than a hop) and my teammates about passed out the first time I did that, LOL. Some of them asked my wife (who's our coach), "Can she do that?? Can she do that??" Well, yes, it's easier than trying to get on or off while dealing with the cluster(****) happening at the doors! People who see me play now compared to a year ago say I look like anyone else and that I'm just playing and enjoying myself as opposed to obviously trying to skate through pain. I haven't fallen yet, but I'm not spending my precious time worrying about falling.

2. After said game, I can get in the car and take a sometimes long drive home and just....get out of the car. Yes, just get out and walk. Not park, get out, stand, wince, take tiny step, OUCH....Nope. That part is sometimes more miraculous to me than the game.

3. I can get up and down off the ground without a big production. This comes in super handy in my volunteer work, where people used to offer to help me up.

4. I don't have a pit of dread in my stomach at the sight of stairs.

5. I don't walk like a penguin anymore (or an Egyptian....you're welcome for the ear worm!)

6. I can do housework without wondering how much I'll hurt the next day.

7. The mental energy previously used to worry about my hip and trying to figure out what I could or couldn't do is being put to MUCH better use. I'm more focused at work, I'm more present for friends and family and the anxiety beast has been put to work in other areas of concern that are much more complex: finances, creative projects, home projects, other health stuff (asthma). I think there was a poster here who said that she moved past constantly thinking about her hip when life dumped bigger things on her plate. So I made up my mind to consciously fill my brain with all the areas of my life that had been sorely neglected. Pro tip: it works!

8. My mood is night and day better from a year ago. Now I understand how much pain saps your spirit and colors your world. I feel more open-minded, confident, curious, more trusting and dare I say it...happy! I am so, so grateful that my particular pain was a clear-cut diagnosis with a highly successful treatment. In that respect, I'm very, very lucky.

So, I'm pretty darn happy with where I am at one year! I have a little bit of a journey still in learning to really trust Lefty. My wife suggested I think of MLB pitchers who come back from TJ surgery - they basically have to learn all over again how to use their arm. Which checks out -- I think I read here that the soft tissues not only have to heal from the surgery, they also have to learn how to function with a working joint! Good thing I'm a lifelong learner, LOL!

My MIL had her own miracle the other day....she's has more complications with other areas of her body (shoulders, knees mainly) and so hasn't been able to progress as far as she'd hoped, but the other day, she got up and walked. No aid, no nothing. We weren't sure she'd ever get to that point, but to see her realize she could do it was such a joy and relief. Her confidence went way up and, as some wise person here says (hmmmm.....I WONDER who that is...), the mental game IS the game.

I hope this helps anyone reading who is biting their nails to the quick considering surgery or anyone in early days of recovery. I'm so glad this forum was here for me - you mods are very inspired, wise people! :) And my recovery was greatly helped reading stories here.

Big cheers to all of you!

Thought of you when I read this today …

That is awesome! You know, I'd thought before the surgery that I just wanted maybe five more years of hockey...after reading this? Oh heck, I'm going as long as I possibly can! :dancy:

Happy (belated) one year hip-anniversary, @thepuckhead!

What a wonderful update! I'm sure it will inspire others to trust that their journeys will have great outcomes too.

@thepuckhead What an amazing, upbeat update. Yes, congratulations on your one year anniversary. When you take stock, you really are amazed at how far you've come, what you've endured, and what you won't take for granted anymore. It's almost been five years for me and I am not one ounce less grateful than I was right after the surgery. One of the things that stuck in my head was when my family doctor told me I looked 10 years younger when he first saw me post-op. It does wonders when you no longer in pain and get your life back. Blessings for a continued successful journey on. Thanks for stopping by to let us know how you are doing. Come by again. We love these visits.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom