Lounge Doctor

TKR a new question

Jo Wo

Country
United States United States
when they get you up to walk, are you still on an iv? I was thinking of packing a shawl, since with blood loss I might feel cold walking around. is that a good idea?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That's a question no one can give you a definite answer to.
Some people are still on an IV and some are not.

Some people feel cold more easily than others do, and some hospitals keep their rooms warmer than other do.

If you pack a shawl, think about how you will prevent it from falling off, as both your hands will be used to hold onto the walker.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was still on an IV when I went for walks. I wasn’t cold but we are all different. I couldn‘t even get the new robe on that I bought for the hospital because of the IV, so they just snapped on another hospital gown, it snapped together at the shoulder seam.

You probably won’t be in the hospital that long, and you won’t walk that much, so you might be fine without the shawl.

OP
OP
Jo Wo

Jo Wo

Country
thanks @Celle and @Jockette I have a shawl pin and a shawl I knit years ago....alternatively I could crochet a poncho, since I am sitting around so much and likely have a month or more before surgery. 9 days till I see the surgeon for my first appointment.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
A poncho would work, and give you something to do while waiting, especially if it’s something you enjoy doing.

gia2cats

Country
I never had an IV after I was awake after surgery. With my first knee, I stayed overnight, and went to PT that afternoon with no IV. With my second knee 5 months ago, I was outpatient. Surgery was at 10:15 am and I was in the car heading home at 3:15 pm. So it may not even be an issue. But the poncho would feel cozy even in bed.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Countrybumpkin
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom