BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

A new knee and Medicare for my birthday!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by beachy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. beachy

beachy junior member

United States United States
    Hello All! I have been reading this forum for several months and have learned more here than with any OS or PT. Thank you all for sharing your jour(knees), the ups and downs, the tips on icing, elevating, pushy phys therapists and on and on. I soaked it all up like a sponge and feel prepared to set the date for new knee(s).
    I've been dealing with the arthritic knees for the last 3 years...cortisone, meniscus repair, gel injections, PT blah blah blah. I knew that it was finally time for replacements. I'm waiting until October 2018 when I am eligible for Medicare and can say Adios to my ridiculously high deductible insurance plan that has been in effect for the last 3 years. I've had this time to meet with my OS and was actually scheduled for LTKR last March 2018. Until I read here about nickel sensitivity/allergy which I have. My husband said he married me because I can't wear gold! She (OS) doesn't use a nickel free implant and referred me to a colleague who does. We set the new surgery date for May 2018. After much thought, the hubs and I decided to enjoy our summer at the beach and let Medicare treat me to new knees for my birthday. And a Lounge Doctor. I want one of those for my birthday. And good ice packs or a Polar Ice.
    I don't know if there is a place for my thread since I'm 4 months out, but I wanted to drop in, introduce myself, and THANK YOU all for sharing your stories. I has helped this beach bum immensely!

2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello, @beachy and :welome: This is definitely the right place for your thread because you haven’t yet had surgery. After you have your surgery in October you can start a recovery thread over in the Recovery Area, in which you can share your experiences, good or bad, about your new knee.

It sure sounds like you have been reading and planning! Even so, I will leave with some reading links about getting ready for your surgery. :)

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @beachy - and :welome:

Of course there's a place for you here!

When you have a date for your knee replacement, please will you tell us, so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Have you had the full metal allergy testing? The skin testing isn't usually accurate enough and you may need the blood test.
    You can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel . You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing.

Meanwhile, here is some pre-op reading for you:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

4. beachy

beachy junior member

Hello and thank you both for the welcome @SusieShoes and @Celle !
    @SusieShoes .....your 1 yr old knees thread has been an inspiration. I'm on page 50....second read through. I made myself sick with fear and worry when I had a date for my 1st surgery in March. Then I found Bonesmart and landed on your thread. It really helped allay some of my fears with your common sense approach and humorous posts about your BTKR. I now feel confident that I can have a good recovery. If my 2nd opinion OS will do a bilateral I may actually consider it! Having the second knee replaced 6 months later seems....redundant?

@Celle I have not had the full metal allergy testing yet. That is why I have a second opinion scheduled with another OS on June 27th that came highly recommended. Neither of my previous OS mentioned the test. My original OS never asked me about a metal allergy. Again, I read about it here, realized I have a sensitivity and called her (OS) and she cancelled my date in March and referred me to her colleague. I felt neither OS were very thorough. I will keep you posted after the June 27th appointment.

Thank you, Ladies. You are very much appreciated! I had actually bookmarked all the reading that you recommend to newbies and read it every so often.
    I hope I tagged you correctly with the @

5. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I 100% agree with that; it adds an extra 6 months to your recovery that you do not need. And if you're up for BTKR, find a surgeon that will do it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi beachy, I'm glad BoneSmart has already been a help.
    Yes, you tagged us correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. beachy

beachy junior member

Hello Roy, I sound very brave about a BTKR while sitting behind a keyboard LOL! I am considering that option, though. I see that you also had both knees at the same time....will most definitely read your recovery!

8. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I did it because (a) I knew I had to have both done (b) I'm such a Big Girls Blouse that if I had just one done I thought I'd be too scared to do the 2nd. It isn't a brave decision, IMO, it's just a sensible one, get the (qualified!) thing over with!

9. beachy

beachy junior member

@Roy Gardiner I am in the same boat with you on a and b. I can only assume that a "Big Girls Blouse" is our version of a 'fraidy cat ? LOL

10. beachy

beachy junior member

Being a newbie to this great community at Bonesmart, I would love to get some responses about what pain/activity/fitness levels were like for everyone before they needed their TKR. How have your knees affected your quality of life?

Here's my MO:
    The arthritis has become increasing worse in the last 3 years. Especially in the knees. Probably because they are a load bearing joint? I was in retail all of my adult life and it has come to the point where standing and walking for more than 15-20 min is impossible. I no longer work.
    The limping has aggravated my back so that now I have lower back issues. That's just adding insult to injury :)
    The knees do not hurt when sitting or lying down. That's a blessing. Hubs and I live in a beach town and love to walk. Now it's a pain to take the 7 lb furball for a walk. I take several short walks a day with the furball.
    I am usually exhausted all the time. I am a slug. Do slugs have knees?
    Sound familiar?

11. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You must read Roy’s recovery thread. His recovery thread was a huge inspiration to me for getting BTKR and mapping out my recovery. Plus he has posted some great exercise tips. :)

12. beachy

beachy junior member

@SusieShoes It's a snowball effect! That's what is pretty cool about this site. I love how everyone supports, inspires and shares their experience. I did start to read Roy's recovery thread. And more of yours. Plenty of good reading!

• Like Like x 1
  13. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

In retrospect I really don't know how I was managing at all before my first tkr. My knee felt stronger and more stable the first time they got me out of bed in the hospital than it had been in the months leading up to the surgery.
    My low back also improved greatly once I got the new knees so hopefully you will find the same thing. Like you said all the limping and compensating for the bad knees throws you off kilter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. beachy

beachy junior member

@kneeper that’s actually good to know! The fact that your knee and back were improved so early gives me hope the surgery will offer better quality of life.

15. beachy

beachy junior member

beautiful evening! Took the furball to the new dog park. It's an easy 1 1/2 block hobble (can't call this goofy limp a real walk). Furball is zooming around the park and smiling in the way little dogs do. I look around and panic.....forgot there is no place to sit. For me. Not the furball. Knees are already protesting. Sorry furball, we have to leave NOW. Home with ice on the knees and the back. October can't get here soon enough.

16. beachy

beachy junior member

What is a non-narcotic knee pump? I've read post op threads in which they used this. It sounds wonderful. Does it work well for pain?

17. Laurenkate

Laurenkate member

One of the best things about a tkr is getting rid of the low back pain. Again, another reason i'm having my second one done sooner rather than later is to try to avoid that persistent pain.

18. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's a device that delivers local unaesthetic to your knee or the nerves supplying it. The fluid to be infused is stored in a little ball. It last for several days and you would probably come home with it.

One system like this is the ON-Q. You can search for it on Google for more information.

19. beachy

beachy junior member

Did having the ltkr help your back?
    Many times my lower back pain hurts worse than the knees. MRI showed scoliosis and arthritis. Neither will go away, but hopefully the pain will be lessened after the knees are fixed. Ice and Lidocaine patches help the back for now.
    I see that you're 1 month out from your rtkr. good luck and I'll be following your recovery!

20. beachy

beachy junior member

Thanks, Celle. Can I get one now ? LOL Anything that helps pain and is non narcotic sounds like a winner. I'll add that to my list of questions for 2nd opinion doc.