TKR A New Day

@Jcx We are probably at the same stage, I was operated on the 7th of December 2021 like you, my knee constantly reminds me it is there, no pain but stiffness if I stand too long, walking is fine but I'm conscious that it's not quite normal and ofter remind myself not to limp. I haven't quite managed the stairs yet, my knee does not feel stable although I'm sure it is but my brain still hesitates and I resort to doing one step at a time, I'm certain my left knee was far more advanced at this stage but then it had my right as full support now I'm relying on my left knee which too grumbles occasionally even after 2 years.
My latest orthopaedic doctor ( I dismissed my original surgeon as he just wasn't interested) has told me to ice each night prior to going to sleep for at least another year and not to have too high expectations of these knees basically he said if you didn't do physical activities (Running, hiking, etc) you are not miraculously going to do them now.
We will get there with patience x

Patience isn't my strong point. But these knees of ours are the bosses at the moment. Taking it easy at times is the way forward for a full recovery. Jcx

these knees of ours are the bosses at the moment. Taking it easy at times is the way forward for a full recovery.
So true. You are having a very sensible recovery.

Back in the saddle again. It's seven months since I had my TLKR. Its been the hardest thing in my life ( so far) that I and my family have endured both mentally and physically. But today I rode my bike out on the roads today. It's been a long time coming and I have had plenty of false starts. Just another milestone in my journey to get back to full fitness. My next task is to try and kneel down and stand up. Wish me luck and I wish you all luck with your rehab. Take care Jcx

Getting back to doing the things we have missed doing is what it's all about!

Reactions: Jcx
Back in the saddle again. It's seven months since I had my TLKR. Its been the hardest thing in my life ( so far) that I and my family have endured both mentally and physically.
It's a long journey but getting an active life back makes it so worth it.

Reactions: Jcx
Eight months since my LTKR and things haven't changed much since my seven month post. I've been on holiday cycling swimming and walking. So I'm pretty active and in no pain. Still having tight bands and also having the feeling that in someone else's words an alien strapped to my knee. In my opinion my recovery is going to take the full twelve months. Eight months is two thirds of the way so there is still time for more improvement. Going on holiday to Tenerife in September so I've got something to look forward to. It's been a long eight months but the end result should be worth it. Hope everyone's recovery is going well and without a doubt it's a slow process. Take care all. Jcx

Only 4 weeks post TLKR. I am encouraged by the PT results, left leg is straight! and flexion continues to improve. I am discouraged in reading how long the recovery is, as I will have to have TRKR in a year's time. I planned to return to event production work in September, which seems unlikely. Most likely I will have to retire from this work a year earlier than planned...discouraged that I will have to find some other work until I can really afford to retire.

Hi joules. Everyone's recovery is different. You might be a quick healer and return to work in a few weeks time. Stick with the Pt and read up on old post's. Take care Jcx

Hi all. It's 9 months today since my LTKR happy birthday to knee. It's been a long journey but I have no choice now to be in it for the long haul. I've never said it out loud yet that I should have not went in for the operation. But my mobility is worse now after the operation. It's not just down to my knee I had a herniated disc also but that has settled down. So I am comparing my mobility then and now. I have not given up so I'm hoping that the next 3 months I will be fully recovered. Here's to the next 3 months and a note to myself. Get more active and no more pity parties. Take care Jcx

This surgery creates a lot of trauma that we have to heal from. I had a very slow, difficult first year, and I was no where near “fully recovered” at the one year mark, but I did have a lot of improvement throughout my second year. Don’t lose hope.

It's been 10 months since my LTKR. Things are improving slightly and I am walking longer distances. I can now predict what my knee is going to be like on a daily basis. Today is tight band day and tomorrow my knee will be moving more freely but still restricted. I'm thinking is this normal to be able to predict what my knee is going to be like daily. This journey of recovery has been tough but I'm confident that my full recovery is imminent. On holiday in Tenerife at the moment and the sunshine is very agreeable. I hope everyone's recovery is going well. Keep posting and asking questions newbies help is at hand. Take care Jcx

Great 10 month report. Enjoy your break from the norm.

11 Month Update. Feeling frustrated and waiting for the day when my knee has finally healed. Went swimming yesterday and put my knee through its paces. Jumping in and diving in the deep end with my grandsons. Suffered a bit last night but this morning it's fine just a little bit stiff. I wish it was like this every day but the tight band feeling will return tomorrow. Still feeling every step I take with either stiffness or the dreaded tight band feeling. I have an appointment with my surgeon at the beginning of December. Hopefully things will improve by then and I can get on with my life with no restrictions. Well that's my rant over it's been a long 11 months and by 12 this nightmare might be over. It's been a strange year all in all but things are slowly improving and I know other people have suffered worse than myself with set backs. It's a long and slow recovery process. Take care Jcx. Happy Halloween

I’m sorry you still have that tightness, it seems that‘s just the way some of us recover. After a very tough first year I had a lot of improvement in my second year, I hope you will, too.

Happy Birthday to knee. It's one year since my LTKR. I've been active for most of my life and this recovery has taken longer than I expected. It's been slow and at times unbearable. I have felt uncomfortable from day one but the big plus is no pain. I've been to physio walked swam and rode my bicycle but to no avail. It's come to the point now that today it's tight band day and tomorrow it will be as if an alien is strapped to my knee. I can predict now what every day will bring. Can anyone relate to the way I find myself at this stage of my recovery. In a few weeks time I will meet my surgeon and hopefully he will come up with some answers. I know everyone recovers differently but after a year I have had enough. Rant over a glass of red and ready to take on another year. Take care Jcx.

Happy (?) AnKNEEversary. I know, it's been a year, whew. Come back and let us know what the OS says abut that consistent tight band.

@hawk2go I will come back and let the forum know what the OS says. Today is tight band day tomorrow it will be totally different. That's the confusing thing. Jcx

My main issue is like you that tight band feeling every other day. I haven't seen my surgeon yet for my 1yr check up . Hopefully he can come up with some answers. Range of motion is ok but this tight band feeling is very uncomfortable to say the least. I also would appreciate comments and advice from members and staff
Normally, the tight feeling means you have swelling inside still. Are you icing and elevating frequently? Why this is occurring every other day could be when you don't feel the tightness you are doing more. That can cause the extra swelling inside. Continue the icing and elevating until the tightness goes away completely. That was the last thing to leave me.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Windmills
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom