TKR A New Day

Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Thanks sistersinhim and Jockette some days I'm up for the challenge and other days I'm down. The not knowing what's going on inside my knee torments me. Tomorrow will be a new day for me and I will take on board the information I have received . Jcx

We all felt just like this, so we understand. Not much happens quickly in the healing department.

Reactions: Jcx
12 weeks today and trying hard to get through it. The highs the lows and the lows. Hanging in there and determined to get to back to some normality. Been to the gym this morning and enjoyed the session. Jack the physio says I'm doing well and I've got two more weeks to go. Looking forward to the spring when I can get back to my allotment and I'm going on holiday to Ibiza with the family in May. Hope everyone is on the mend. Jcx

Hey @Jcx - The post-op blues are real and there are so many personal things to do to address them. Sometimes I just cry, though I don't really like to. I do like to read, create art, and knit. The only thing I've been able to get up for is reading and that took a few months to get back to with earnest. You have the Ibiza trip in May to look forward and that's so lovely, especially since it coincides with the magical (for many) 6 month mark. With my LTKR, 6 months was when my knee stopped controlling absolutely everything. I am a couple weeks from 6 months with this RTKR, which seems to be on track for the magic that I've been looking for since September. What can you do while in Ibiza, I've never been?

Here's an article to remind you about the highs and lows and lows of this recovery Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it. Hang in there, it gets better, sometimes in slow progression.

Also, I still get that tight band in certain situations, usually when I'm pushing my knee too far for comfort - like taking stairs too quickly or carrying too heavy a load or walking too fast or too far. I have to pay close attention to the correlation of that tight feeling and the activity I'm doing and also be mindful to continue to listen to The Knee even though I feel pretty good. The difference between 3 months and 6 months has been like worlds for me.

Hi hawk2go. Thanks for your insight on the next three months. I retired a few years ago and found a love of books. I could count on one hand on how many books I had read before my retirement. I broke down last week and had a really good cry pity party and the rest. But here we are and yes a holiday to look forward to. Ibiza is a lovely island where the sun shines for most of the year. Outdoor activities are a must and I have a passion for snorkeling. Glad your nearly out of the woods and long may it continue. Thanks Again. Jcx

Three months down the line it's been a wake up call. Not just my knee I must look after the rest of my body. But first of all I've got to get this knee sorted. Had my last physio session today and it was hard but rewarding. Feeling a bit stiff so I've been icing and elevating. Bonesmart has helped me when I was down and when I needed information. I no I've got a long way to go and going to take it slow and steady. Hopefully gone are the tantrums and pity parties. With the knowledge I have gained through bonesmart and the inspiration I have taken on board from your post. I'm sure I will make it. Thanks to you all and to my wife. Jcx

Check back in to let us know how you're going @Jcx. Some folks go to monthly posts when the recovery mellows out. Your stories will surely help another fella in the same boat. Good luck!

15 week check point and what a journey it has been. First posted at 8 weeks and the difference is night and day. Angry and frustrated at 8 and at 15 calm and knowledgeable. It's all down to bonesmart and reading posts. Going for a walk today and out for lunch later. Take it slow and steady newbies. Jcx

@Jcx What a difference just a few weeks can make. So glad BoneSmart was helpful for you. Enjoy that new knee and living pain free again.

Four months gone since I had my TLKR. Getting back to my daily routine it helps been retired. My day starts with stretching exercises and 10 mins on my exercise bike. Either go for a walk or go out socializing. I really thought that I would have been back to the gym or swimming baths but haven't got into that routine yet. Have been to my allotment and getting ready for a new growing season. Still icing my knee about twice a day. I'm not in any pain and walking without any pain. It's hard to get used to my new knee and yesterday I thought that I was running it in for a donkey. The whole sensation is very strange but it gets me from A to B. Going on holiday at Easter and hope my improvement continues. Take care all. Jcx

You are doing well, and yes, your improvement will continue!

Enjoy your Easter holiday!

This might be a weird question - are your pants tight? I found that my knees didn't not like my slim jeans - it felt like I was wearing a tight bandaid around me knees and it didn't felt comfortable. Especially since 4 months post op you probably still have swelling.

4 months is very early and I'm sure in a few months your knee will feel better and more comfortable!

Hi Freya34. Any trousers that I put on tight or slack changes the mood of my knee.
Nobody can explain what goes on.
I think it's the way I move my knee to get my trousers on. I've tried sitting standing but to no avail. It's bearable now but in the past scar tissue was a major problem. Hopefully it will get easier with time. Take care Jcx

My troubles start when I put my trousers on. Yes you read it right my knee just does not like to get dressed
Hi @Jcx , my right knee was that way too! For that reason this past winter I used a pair of long gym shorts 95% of the time - whether I stayed home or went out to the gym - regardless of temperature! The front part of the knee and shin would be sensitive and tingly to the touch ... not the funnest things to have for long periods.

Things improved, unexpectedly, by month 2 after a couple of long flights - long hours of compression socks and knee sleeves underneath long pants. Hard to say if those were indeed the reasons for improvement in re sensitivity/tingle-ity ... or ... just coincidence ... but I'm glad it's gone. That said, I still hardly ever use long pants (helps that I'm retired!)

All the best!

My troubles start when I put my trousers on. Yes you read it right my knee just does not like to get dressed. I have asked my physio about this but she has not come up with the answer. Getting dressed sets the tone for the rest of the day. Some days it settles but most days it feels very strange.
I saw you post this on another thread, so I’m quoting it here to comment, and moving your replies here, so we don’t take the other thread off topic.

I still have a definite discomfort the second I put pants on, and my surgery was 5 years ago. My surgeon also did a lateral release during my partial replacement and I think a nerve was damaged, maybe permanently in my case. I hope yours will heal.

@Freya34 and @glidefloss

I moved your replies to Jcx over to his recovery thread since the discussion was about his issue, and not Stiffy’s.

Hi everyone. I had my TLKR on the 1/12/2021 so I'm 5 months down the line. The last month there has been a big improvement in my slow but sure recovery. I'm more active I have been on holiday and also my allotment is looking good. I even played football with my grandchildren in the back garden. For the first time in 5 months instead of a shower I had a bath. Getting in was not graceful and the out was even worse. Things are improving all the time. It's my wife 65th birthday on Wednesday and I'm looking forward to going out for a meal with family and friends. Things are improving for me daily and I hope for yous also. Take care Jcx

You are doing really well for not even halfway through this year-long recovery!

Great to read how well you are doing, @Jcx ! Hope your recovery continues to be smooth.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom