THR "A little noise"

Bob S

Country
United States United States
I am new to the group and have had several suggestions that I start a thread on my THR LEFT . The surgery is scheduled for 7:30 AM on next Tuesday ... This will be my second THR with the first being done in July with what i think are terrific results .. Very little pain, with minimal RX use durring recovery and substantial range of motion at this point .. The only issue was my waking up durring the procedure . I do understand that can happen with a spinal and lite sedation . A couple of words to the anesthesiologist and i was back in dreamland ... I certainly would think and hope that the results will be as positive on this Tuesday as with the last procedure... I do feel i am having more pain with this hip then the prior one . Perhaps that is due to the huge "snapping hip " issue I had for months with this hip vs: the first one ... Well, guess we will find out Tues. at about 2:00 when PT gets me up to walk for the first time ... more to follow ...

Well ....Here i am , surgery at 7:30 this morning went very well .... No ptoblems and thank heavens no waking up to the sounds of a surgical saw this time ... Zero pain as of now ...That may change with the arrival of PT in several hours for my first" pain free " walk in months ( i hope ) I am very encouraged at this point ....Guess I need to join the " bilateral " club ....

Congratulations @Bob S for what sounds like a smooth procedure this morning. So happy to hear that you are currently pain free. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, hoping that you continue to feel good.
I am 2 days away from Week 6 and a follow-up with my surgeon. I had a lot of pain for the first 4.5 weeks, and have just now begun to feel a lot better. I had expected to have an experience like yours, but it didn’t happen for me. I am so glad you are doing good.

Take care and take it easy.

@Bob S Welcome to the other side. I moved your thread to the recovery area since you are now there.
Guess I need to join the " bilateral " club .
Technically no. If you had both hips replaced in one procedure then it is bilateral. But you do join the double hippie club - welcome.

I'll put your recovery reading list here for you to refer to when needed:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hey @Bob S, welcome to the healing side you double hippie you! Glad you're feeling good so far, don't forget to ask for ice if they haven't already given you some, take meds as prescribed so you can stay ahead of the pain. First few days aren't usually the greatest but it's all temporary!

I hope you get that pain-free walk you're hoping for @Bob S, if not this afternoon then very soon.

Wow....Both hips at one time ..... That is brave .....

Did the PT walk at nine hours after surgery ... did well ... with no OA pain that I had for months , Did have slight surgery pain ...,Interesting discussion with the PT ... My legs were feeling very strange when i was walking. It felt almost like a floating sensation... The PT explained that for all those months I was walking in an abnormal way to compensate for the pain .. Now my body/ legs are readjusting to what is normal without pain ....

Yes .... should be discharged tomorrow.... Can't wait to get started on my " journey" .... It will include an early tee time ASAP ...

:chuckmarch:yay @Bob S
Double hippy happy...
I did mine both at once but it wasn't brave, it was a necessity.

Hope you go home in the morning so you can assume the position and get comfy and in your recovery groove.:ice:
Can't wait to get started on my " journey" .... It will include an early tee time ASAP ...
I know you meant...an early tea time, right?

First morning post surgery of yesterday.. Twenty four hours in .....Experiencing some minor surgery
pain and stiffness . Expect another round of PT this morning with discharge to home early afternoon... Nursing staff suggested a 5 mg hydrocodone in advance of PT to stay ahead of exercise pain ... Sounds like an excellent idea to me ...

Hi Bob...:wave:
Twenty four hours in .....Experiencing some minor surgery
pain and stiffness .
This is a very encouraging post especially for upcoming hippys!:ok:
Nursing staff suggested a 5 mg hydrocodone in advance of PT to stay ahead of exercise pain ... Sounds like an excellent idea to me ...
Sounds like they are getting your pain management protocol just right...just dont feel like you have to prove anything to PT and overdo...easier to do with pain medication.
Early early days...just tick the boxes and dont be afraid to say no if it seems too much.

Good morning Bob!
You are doing very well.. so happy for you. Welcome to the Society of Double Hippies!
I hope you get discharged today as planned and then you are back at Home Sweet Home, ready to rest and heal.
Onwards and Upwards!! :chuckmarch:

Wow....Both hips at one time ..... That is brave .....

Did the PT walk at nine hours after surgery ... did well ... with no OA pain that I had for months , Did have slight surgery pain ...,Interesting discussion with the PT ... My legs were feeling very strange when i was walking. It felt almost like a floating sensation... The PT explained that for all those months I was walking in an abnormal way to compensate for the pain .. Now my body/ legs are readjusting to what is normal without pain ....
i

Well ok ..... Honeymoon is over ... Left the hospital at 12:00 Took two oxycodone/ Tylenol combination and again at 5:00PM to keep the pain in check .... I am a little concerned with taking opioids but as it was prescribed by my 0S and I have so much faith in him I plan to follow the protocols as directed ....

Stay with the meds, my friend.
This is what they are made for.
It will keep you more comfortable, and more mobile, and hopefully help you rest.
All temporary.....

The first week is such a roller coaster ride. Immediately after surgery, feeling pretty good, due to the meds used in surgery, and relief/adrenalin. And then the pain creeps up on you and you are so bummed. Then you rest, ice, and take your meds and start feeling better.....until you don't. You repeat the process and before you know it, the first week has passed and you really are getting better each and every day, and you know you are on your way! It sounds like you are staying on top of everything....good for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts