BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

A hippy in my youth, soon a double hippy in my...well, never mind!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by CricketHip, Apr 20, 2019.

1. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

United States United States
    Hi kids! I'm baaaaack! I can't believe it's been almost 4 years. Actually I've peeked in and out several times, donated to the cause, because I love this site and value you guys.. then it got busy with an ill mother and recent surgeries for my husband.
    Now the right hip is telling me that it's time to part ways and just like you've said on here, it's different from the left. The pain, so far, is different, but as of right now, I'm not sleeping well at all- in fact, right now am typing while icing ..
    Just like last time, I am hoping to continue to work until my surgery date and I am definitely not as bad off as I was with "lefty" and I dread telling my clients that I will be taking off for a couple months.. ahh well.. it is what it is. I'm seeing familiar names and faces and it's comforting! hello!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello!
    We all know when it’s time! When the pain stops life it’s time for that other hip.
    I’ve had my 2nd THR 4 weeks ago & it’s fabulous.. much easier than the 1st...
    Let us know when you have a date!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

@CricketHip Welcome back! You will soon be a member of the double hippy club! And we will be with you all the way!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @CricketHip Welcome back! You sound well prepared for what's coming and hope your wait goes quickly for you!
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

Thanks everyone, @Hoppy Nanny I am scheduled for July 2cnd. So around 10 weeks to wait. That's the problem with going with the good surgeon in town! He's a bit too popular. @Jaycey I kept remembering you saying that you didn't wait to get as bad as the first hip and tried to time this one better! @Carriemay60 Thanks! Yes, second time around is a bit easier, I suppose but the same insecurities do pop up occasionally.. this time it's more of a deep all over ache and not as much of the sharp crunchy pain and for that I'm grateful, but then I question that, too, of course!

• Like Like x 1
  6. julesglass

julesglass senior

Hello @CricketHip! I'm going for lefty now in July. Gotta call first of May to get date. I thought about that first week of July, however I've got nsaids to come off two weeks prior. I "plan" to work through June.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

@julesglass ! We will be sparklers together! yes, the weaning off period. ugh. I am self employed so I am thrilled to be scheduled right before the holiday and that keeps me from feeling like I'm missing as much. It's all in my head but hey, I have to live in that head. :heehee: The left hip is a nice one because you won't have as long of a wait to return to driving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. julesglass

julesglass senior

Oooh yes I will drive sooner, hadn't thought of that! Gotta keep those mind minions in the closet.:whistle: Gonna be tough coming off nsaids last week of June. Going to be pullin for ya we're all in this together. :console2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

It definitely makes recovery easier if you don't limp around for years pre-op. Hope you have the same experience.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CPH

CPH junior member

I was also surprised at how long it takes to schedule with a top surgeon. I got lucky and happened to call just after a cancellation. There is a long waiting list, but I think the scheduler sympathized with my scheduling issues and just gave it to me since it worked. Good luck with number 2! I am guessing at some point I will need a second one so it is comforting to hear the double veterans say second time around is often easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

Hi kids!! All is well here, I am still marveling at the difference in pain with this hip, vs. my left hip that was replaced Sept. 2015. I don't have as much of the sharp grinding pain, but the deep content toothache type feel in the right hip is wearing me down! It's more of a constant ache and fires up at night and lots of spasms and now heel pain. But am able to work and do some yard duties and enjoy life. I keep thinking about my recovery as a
    "summer break" :flwrysmile: I am self employed so it's always difficult to take that kind of time off. but it will be so worth it. Is anyone else getting the heel pains? Wicked!

12. julesglass

julesglass senior

Hello @CricketHip, my right was the aching one, oh sooo tiring. Lefty is the stabbing, jabbing pain. It also has sent dull aching in my back and down my right leg. It's a conspiracy I just know it! Lefty is getting everyone worked up for a rebellion. He hasn't figured out there will be a counter attack to take him out!!! :arrow:

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

True that! @julesglass
    The most irritating is that it’s affecting my very happy and healthy left hip replacement.
    This is war! :bignono:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. julesglass

julesglass senior

Ditto on that girl!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

Hello hippie friends! What a couple of weeks. I think things will be okay but why do things crop up right before a surgery date? We had to put my mom in Hospice today. We made the final decision this afternoon. She has been suffering with horrible pain and ironically the main culprit is her hip. She had her right hip replaced (or was it her left?) several years ago but her health has been failing and she can't handle surgery at this point. She has quite a bit wrong at the moment and is in the hospital and this is what the Doctors are suggesting we do. If she is in Hospice the Dr's can now treat her pain and not worry so much about the effect on her kidneys, and our primary concern is her debilitating pain. Hip, back, shoulder and carpal tunnel in both wrists (from lifting herself out of chairs because of the hip) She hasn't been eating either and her heart is showing signs of the added stress. Of course I am worried sick about her and she lives out of state so that's yet another worry,, a big worry.

But the way things are cascading I am fearful of the timeline of things as we head towards my surgery date.
    I hope that doesn't sound selfish, because it's not my intention to be.... but.. it will be hard if "it' happens while I am incapacitated.. Especially since my pain isn't as bad as the first time. If I had a crystal ball I could tell if and when was the right time, you know?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

I am so sorry that you have this added stress. It is painful with parents getting older to deal with and especially out of state. It is good that they will be able to deal with her pain - no one deserves to be hurting. You are not being selfish - I hear it that you are concerned that you would not be able to get there to be with her or family. Sending positive thoughts your way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Bfam85

Bfam85 member

Yep, I understand entirely. Last year we had lots of things with my mother who lives in Seattle. She fell off her chair while playing balloon volleyball (yep) and broke her hip....She is 90..She had other medical issues going on where she was taking lots of awful medication, fell and cracked her eye socket after the surgery (yep)...I thought this cannot go on....BUT, she is okay...stabilized, living in a new residence, and content with life.

It's a good thing that she (your Mom) is in hospice. They can care for her better than you can. So, what I'm saying is, continue to plan for your surgery...try not to project into the future...I would go ahead with it and not let the "what ifs" take away your plans....Worse case scenario, what could happen if the worst happens? You would still be recovering, albeit in a more protective state for yourself. I hope I don't sound too harsh, because I just want you to know you are not being selfish at all.....If this helps, look at all the people in pain you can help after you have two beautiful new hips?

PS Like having a child, there is never a "right time" when all is perfect in our world to jump in. Same with our hips. xox :prayer:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CricketHip

CricketHip post-grad

Thanks girls.. :) :-) (: it's okay. I'm wondering, from the reports that I am receiving, if she will even be around by July. But have seen this happen before and I know she could easily rally, too. I won't change any of my plans until it's closer to the date and until there are more signs of decline. On the positive, my hip has been behaving this week.. but then again I haven't had time to attempt some walking for exercise, either.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Very sorry you are having a difficult time. The added stress must be taking a toll on you. I hope things all work out for the very best for all of you and that your mother is able to pass peacefully without pain. :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @CricketHip, I just got back on the forum today, as I'm also facing a second hip replacement surgery, although mine is scheduled for August 19. I was interested in your comment that the pain for each hip was different, something I've experienced myself and have no idea why. Walking was quite uncomfortable with my right hip, and aching centered in my groin area. With my left hip now, the pain is deep in my left backside, cascading down into my left thigh, and it's especially uncomfortable sitting although so far--knock on wood--I haven't had much problem walking. What was the "straw that broke the camel's back" in terms of your decision to go ahead with hip #2? Sometimes I think I'm just being a total weenie, as the pain is so different and at least thus far hasn't affected my mobility which was a huge factor in the decision last time as I couldn't walk more than a block without significant discomfort. Anyway, I hope your surgery in July goes well, and that having been through it once you are, like I am, not as nervous about the whole process. Best of luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1