THR A Hip Recover Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
A much better morning this morning. Thanks for the encouragement, greatly appreciated, as always. Pain decreased significantly, especially in my LTKR leg. That RSD sucks and I usually have it under control, but unsure of reasons for flair other than using the leg more. @Barbaraj, it's not the knee, it's RSD or CRPS which I wasn't prepared for post knee surgery. Fortunately, it's not as bad as some people have it which can absolutely be off the charts for them. I was actually a bit anxious that CRPS would be an outcome with HR, but not feeling that as a reality at this point. Thank goodness! Again, that condition just purely sucks. But I am a rally on girl, probably because I was sandwiched between three brothers and had to develop severely tough inner and outer muscles. They weren't kind to kid sister.

I'm finding that even with the minimal pain medication (1/4 oxy last night) I'm on, concentration for this kind of focus is elusive.

Yes, a dreary day here. No Indian Summer this year, which usually is beautiful this time of year in the NW. Temperatures are usually high, sun is out and a wonderful way to begin the fall. Not to be, but as I gaze out at the lake in front of me, the busy and playful animal life keeps me thoroughly entertained. They never seize to put a smile on my face and infuse my spirit with pure joy! As we all know, JOY is the ultimate healer. :loveshwr:

Ok All. You have a peaceful day filled with all the things that bring you happiness and lift your spirits.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know you're over a major healing hump when your new hip begins to feel more like YOU. Yayyyy! Today, my hip felt like it was actually mine and not some invasive squatter who had illegally set up home. I'm always amazed at how fast things can turn, especially when you least expect it. :dancy::happydance::yes!:

Waking up, feeling more "normal" than ever at almost three weeks post surgery, I begin my Sunday with a healing thought and reminder. May all be blessed...
light will break forth.jpg

Today, my hip felt like it was actually mine and not some invasive squatter who had illegally set up home.

That's a new one, lol. Thanks for the laugh. :heehee:
Have a great Sunday!

Sounds like a wonderful start to your day, despite the miserably wet and gloomy day we're having. My "healing thought" this morning occurred at around 8:30 AM when I finished those dang PT exercises, including the sitting and standing from a chair without using my arms and keeping my back straight. I always save that baby for last and when it was done I was all "hallelujah--done for the day". Then I hustled off to pick up a girlfriend and head to the gym and grocery store again. Congrats on the hip settling in and feeling like a good neighbor instead of an invader--nice when that happens. Happy Sunday!

Good for you! Up early to do your "dang" exercises. Great discipline... I always do worst first or else I might not do it later. LOL I am currently doing motions that mimic my pickleball game so those muscles will turn on. Not huge movements, just tiny ones. I guess it makes me feel like I've arrived in the land of the living.

Hope your gym time went well. You will be "strong like bull!"

Good Monday morning. Good to know another person who exercises first in the morning, not necessarily out of a love for exercise but simply a grim acknowledgement that if not done right away they will not get done. Good for you! I am still loitering around in my bathrobe but before I shower and get dressed I will wearily trudge into a spare bedroom where I have a mat on the floor and will begin the routine. Being stiff, sore and flabby means that these exercises, while not really all that hard, take time and energy to complete. Cool that you're doing exercises to get you back in shape for pickleball--I'm sure you'll be out on the court in no time. Your positive attitude, exercise and commitment to a good diet (uh...I'm not so committed to that but I sometimes try) will mean a fairly rapid return to "normal life" for you, I'm guessing. Have a great day.

Go Barb!!! Another day on the floor. I haven't gotten down there, not sure I could get back up. LOL Most of my exercises are done standing, but I seem to be progressing with those. I would definitely agree that when our bodies have been traumatized by surgery, the slightest bit of energy expenditure can seem like LOTS! I'm heading "up" (steep driveway) to the mailbox soon, for the second time this week, and for me an ex-runner, I'm huffing and puffing a bit. Can't wait to get my lungs back.

Happy day to All. Healing and Recovery are what we are about!

I am catching up on your thread and see you've had some of those high and lows, too.
I'm a little ahead of you but still remember those couple of weeks! Sounds like you are turning the corner again, that is great!
I am very upset with myself for turning to comfort food during my recovery. Getting back on track but it's difficult, because my sugar cravings are off the charts! You sound very motivated- that's a good thing!!
Have a good day!

I am very upset with myself for turning to comfort food during my recovery. Getting back on track but it's difficult, because my sugar cravings are off the charts!

Ohhhh, @CricketHip ! An expression that has always helped me when I'm tempted to be upset with myself for my perceived "failures" is, "If you're going to beat yourself up, beat yourself up with a feather." :heehee::bath:

I do think it's fairly normal to turn to comfort foods after a trauma. Especially, when drugs have filled your system. Nothing sounds good, nothing feels good going down, except those comfort foods. Be kind to yourself. When I flub my "whatever it is I've flubbed," I get back on track the following moment or day. I've always been a fairly healthy eater and a devoted movement fanatic, :running:so I really notice when I'm off. Naturally, sometimes easier said than done.

And this hip healing is a roller coaster ride, from moment to moment, day to day. You turn one corner and bump into another. A bit unnerving! All part of the ride.

Have a beautiful day. Be utterly kind to your beautiful Self!!! :flwrysmile::friends:

Good morning. Reading your last post, I had to agree with your approach to eating--if I misbehave one day, I try really hard the next to eat more healthily/mindfully. But hip recovery has put a bit of a spoke in that wheel because despite healthy eating overall, I am not moving as much as I was before--too many hours just vegging out--and calories in, regardless of quality, can be a problem. You sound far, far more disciplined than I am in the eating department. I am pretty good about getting some exercise daily, even if it's just my daily PT, but I need to get up and get moving around more, I know. But it's been so cold and wet the last few days that it saps my energy and motivation, makes me whiny and mutinous. Argh! Hope you're having a good day despite our less than fabulous fall weather.

But it's been so cold and wet the last few days that it saps my energy and motivation, makes me whiny and mutinous. Argh! Hope you're having a good day despite our less than fabulous fall weather.

I can certainly relate to lack of motivation, whininess and mutinous behavior, LOL, especially when its cold and rainy outside. Actually, I don't have much of an appetite, and wish I had more. But with lack of exerecise (like 3 hours of pickleball 4-5 days a week), my body's need for calories has decreased substantially. I'm drinking a ton of green tea, so that helps somewhat with any false "cravings" I might get. Plus, I'm hostage to my small space. Help! No place to go and still can't drive.

My daughter and son-in-law, whom I live with but in a separate space of the house, are even more disciplined than I am in the food department. Both are avid Keto/Intermittent Fasting fans (I am not). They have nothing in their fridge or cupboards that remotely resembles "snack" food, which I occasionally indulge (70% chocolate), particularly if I get a bit bored and need to "munch." OK walnuts...here I come.

Back to the pickleball. As my body recovers, I can definitely feel my spirit demanding more, being used to more, but that wouldn't be a healthy choice. So I sit, watch the ducks, eagles, crows, chickadees, and herons circle and play on the lake outside. Or I watch C-Span, or record a Lifetime Movie, or read a book (I'm currently reading, "The Coddling of the American Mind" (excellent), or watch a good romantic comedy on my Prime Movie Network. Or doze. Or do a few exercises when I get up to stretch, etc. What can I say with all that I can find to amuse me, Recovery Simply Sucks, but there's no other choices. Well, I guess there are, but not ones that in the end I would like. LOL I do have a rule that once a day, sometimes twice, I can indulge in a 5 minute complain/whine session that seems to help disperse the frustration energies.

Barb, have a beautiful day. And enjoy a few crackers or chocolate brownies on me!!! :heehee:

I hear ya! I am forth after 3 brothers and always credit them with my affinity for off colour jokes and my prowess as a wrestler! Hope you are having a good day here on the "wet coast!"

But I am a rally on girl, probably because I was sandwiched between three brothers and had to develop severely tough inner and outer muscles. They weren't kind to kid sister.

I hear ya! I am forth after 3 brothers and always credit them with my affinity for off colour jokes and my prowess as a wrestler! Hope you are having a good day here on the "wet coast!"

:rotfl: Too funny. Only sisters of multiple brothers can get this. Yes, the wrestler stuff I can relate to, absolutely. I actually developed a reputation as the girl who could beat guys in arm wrestling! Off color jokes not so much. My parents were pretty conservative and I don't recall hearing anything out of their mouths when agitated by something except "Shoot!"

I'm happy to report that I've taken a new "step" in my recovery. I think I've mentioned there are 14 steps heading up to the main house. I can now navigate up and down with BOTH legs, not that one at a time stuff, "up with the good, down with the bad." Going up is slightly harder, but not much. Strength seems to be there in my right leg (HR) with just a very tiny bit of pain (not even sure I'd call it pain.). Nights are still a challenge. No restless leg stuff last night, yippee, but pain usually hits around 1:00 am and I have to get up, move around, make some tea, take 1/4 of an oxycodone, then back to my recliner, until 4:00 when I repeat. I can go all day without a lot of pain, though my back is getting sore from so much sitting. The stretches I'd usually do to relieve it I can't because I don't want to compromise my new hip in anyway. Examples: No piriformis or quad stretches (which are tight). Forward bends and side bends for QLs, and hamstring, gastrocs stretches are what I can safely do..

Tomorrow's another day and I'm looking forward to a visit from a girl friend. All my best to you in whatever phase of recovery you're in.

Hope visit with girlfriend provided a distraction and maybe a better night's sleep to boost your energy and mood. It must be hard not to do stretches that helped you before, but all in good time. Just being able to do some stretches should, I hope, feel good to you. You are such an active and determined woman that I'm betting you'll be getting back to those very soon. I have a piriformis exercise that got added to my list of exercises at Tuesday's PT session, and, boy, think it will help eventually--sure is hard to do! I think all the walking you're doing (and congrats on the normal stair walking) will work slowly to increase your quad strength and flexibility. Happy Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member