BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] A full year of misery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by 43Timelord, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 43Timelord

43Timelord new member

United States United States
    Hi Everyone-

I have been lurking on the bonesmart website for almost a year now and I have to thank each and every one of the admins, commentators and experts for the general knowledge you have posted in the tome of enlightenment.

My story is not unlike others, I was diagnosed with bilateral AVN in early May of 2018. I started the rounds, visited 6-7 surgeons and healthcare systems for multiple opinions before landing at Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (OSU).

On July 12 of 2018 I had my first surgery on my left hip. This was a scope type procedure that consisted of a core decompression, labrum repair, stem cell bone graft and also a bone sculpting to round out the head of my femur. This was an out patient procedure. Post op I was in pain but it was well controlled with pain medication, muscle relaxers and a Game ready cryotherapy device. I had to use walking aids such as crutches for 8 weeks post op. Physical Therapy began the day after surgery and was 2x per week with home excercises as well.

In October I noticed that my recovery on the left side stopped progressing. I still had residual joint pain but the collapsing of my leg from beneath me was no longer happening. Around this time I also noticed significant pain in my right joint. After reviewing with my surgeon we determined that repeating the same procedure on my right side was in order.

On January 3 2019 I repeated the core decompression, labrum repair, stem cell graft and bone sculpting on my right side. Immediately after surgery I faced significant pain that was uncontrolled. The staff at the hospital were not able to control my pain and advised that the best option was to discharge me so that I could go to the pharmacy to pick up muscle relaxers. Long story short, my uncontrolled pain lasted for four horrific days. At one point I was alternating oxycodone with tramadol every 2 hours and it still wasn't taking the edge off.

During the course of recovering from my right side surgery my left started deteriorating. I was referred to Dr. Li for his opinion on what to do. We decided based on my experiences that a total hip replacement on the left side using a Posterior approach was the best option. Considering the negative experience I had with my right side we also decided to tentatively schedule for it's replacement as well.

May 13, 2019 I was admitted to the hospital for a left total hip replacement. Compared to my other surgeries, this one was a breeze. Pain was well controlled and I was up walking and in PT the same day. I was discharged the next day with the standard hip precautions of 90 degree bend, crossing legs etc. It's now June 9th and I'm able to walk short distances.without a walking aids. Yay!

Follow-up surgery for my right side is scheduled for 7/15.

Here are my questions:

1) my only complaint is muscle tightness around the incision site. What's the best way to work through this and get it to ease up? I'm currently doing quad sets and glute sets at home and this helps for a short period of time but wears off. Is there something better?

2) I had an issue with CVS Caremark where they refused to cover my third week of pain medication due to exceeding maximum # of tablets allowed in a month. I had to pay for it 100% out of pocket. I was prescribed 2, 5mg tablets of Oxycodone every 4 hours - 84 tablets per week. What are alternatives I can ask my doc about when I have my next hip replacement done?

3) needless to say this last year of continual pain coupled with the stress and worry of this year is taking a toll on me mentally. My doc sent me for some testing and I scored off of the chart for anxiety, depression and ADD. I had a referral sent for psych but I haven't been able to get in. What strategies have you used to help you get through this rough stretch?

2. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

Muscle tightness is common and will continue for a while. The muscles were traumatized, they didn't like it. The movements do get them feeling better for a short time but the movements don't hurt when you do them but the muscles aren't healed yet so they go back to hurting. The more you do the longer the healing will take.
    I didn't take many pain relievers so I didn't use many at all, Tylenol after that. I had bouts of the blues when I had setbacks, mostly from over doing. Overall I was very happy about having my hip fixed and that kept me positive. I looked at this as a step by step deal. When I awoke post op that was step 1, when my foot was facing the right way and I could wiggle my toes, step 2. I'm a very happy thankful person as far as life goes so I'm happy every day to be here and take it from there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can you show me the site and extent of your pain using this chart?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @43Timelord
    Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone with a new hip:
    Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

5. 43Timelord

43Timelord new member

It would be column L1F rows T-X

6. Josephine

7. 43Timelord

43Timelord new member

Yes! That exact area. I didn't think to color in the chart. :-P

Is this a common issue? What's the best way to treat it?

8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi:Click on the highlighted text on Josephine's post, as they are links that will give some exercises and additional information:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mary pye

Mary pye new member

I also had AVN in my left hip that I struggled with pain for years. Everyone just said it was arthritis and I actually had to threaten my doctor to order an MRI. Of course it showed a large area, golf ball sized. I'd had it for quite a while and then it flared up and I lived with that pain for another year. Not pain like bone on bone, but more like bone on gravel. So, I finally got my hip replacement, 13 weeks ago now, and I feel like brand new. I'm so sorry for your suffering. Please just know that you will be feeling brand new!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Josephine

You didn't have to colour the chart. Just tell me the references to where your pain is as you did.

Very,very common.

11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@43Timelord I mistakenly thought your lefty was last year, but it was a month ago?!!
    You have done very well...probably too well, in fact.

The exercises are likely causing this tightness. The soft tissue, muscles, ligaments and the like are still healing and don't like to be asked to perform before they are ready.:yes:
    If you have been doing PT and been extra mobile, my suggestion would be to give that a sabbatical and ice as frequently as you can.:ice:
    Sometimes it takes a bit to undo our overdid...but I suspect you have overdone.:sigh:
    Seems it never hurts until we stop, so can be a bit of dance to find the boundaries.:unsure:
    Just walking is the best exercise you can do right now. You have another new hip coming soon and will not want this one aggravated.
    Hope today is a better day.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 2:38 AM
  12. Josephine

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?