BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

A few weeks til surgery....

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by MrsHawk, Sep 19, 2017.

1. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

United States United States
    My surgery for bilateral replacement is scheduled October 12th,Thursday... I've completed my class and PRE op bloodwork...

2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

Welcome MrsHawk. Be sure and join the other October surgeries at: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...are-you-having-knee-surgery-in-october.42476/

While you're waiting here's some reading for you:
    Here is some pre-op information for you:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

:welome: I hope you take advantage of the reading links. There's also a community of people who've had their knees replaced who would be happy to answer any questions you might have to help you prepare.

4. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

The only two knees I've ever known.... I think minimally scarred. What's to come???

Attached Files:

5. OJ2

OJ2

It is an adventure, to be sure. Icing is very important. Also, take naps whenever you can. The first 2 weeks are the worst- make sure you take your meds as directed.weeks 3 and 4, you will find yourself feeling a bit better, probably go stir crazy a few times, may have to battle the weepiness, and you will find the pain decreasing. Weeks 5 and 6, you will have to battle getting up and trying to do everything you haven't been able to do for a month. The rest of your body will start complaining. Close your eyes to the cobwebs and the crumbs on the floor and continue to ice and nap. The sleeplessness can hit at any time. This rehab is not for wusses, so consider yourself a super star!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

Thank you so much!... I sooo need to hear, sit still and don't get busy!... I'm usually chaotic busy daily....

7. Karebear

Karebear

Good luck! It is perfectly natural to feel anxious. Just follow all the good advice you are getting here! It is invaluable.

8. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

Thank you, I'm trying to be as prepared as possible

9. OJ2

OJ2

I only had one knee done, and I am in complete awe of those who do 2. You bilaterally are the strongest people I know!
    The things I did to prepare that I think helped me the most were 1. Having an icing plan ready. I used ice packs in a leg wrap and that worked well for me, but others use machines, etc. 2. We already had a high toilet, so I got safety rails. I didn't need them for getting up, but they sure helped for getting down comfortably. 3. My hubby was home full time and he was able to get me what I needed, esp when I was wrapped in ice. He set alarms on his phone for when I needed drugs, and brought the right ones to me at the right times. He stood outside the shower the first couple of times as a safety net should I need it. He brought me a chair when I finished my shower so I could sit down as I dried off. He did so many things for me, I cannot even remember. And I am an independent person who always does as much as I can for myself. It was hard to accept the fact I needed help.
    Above all else, determine you are going to have a healthy mind set, and surround yourself with loving and kind people. This surgery will knock your socks off and it will be very easy to fall into despair. Be prepared for it, know it is normal, and keep telling yourself it is temporary. Time goes by no matter how you feel, and you will see definite improvements around 2 weeks, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks. You will probably continue to see improvements in other weeks but I haven't gotten there yet, so I can't speak for that. Find something lighthearted to help you pass the time. For me it was Hallmark movies on the tv. My brain was fuzzy and I had trouble concentrating. But it is all temporary and you will come out of it stronger, healthier, more active, and happier. Good luck on your surgery. The dr will do his job, and then it will be time for you to do yours, which is rest, ice, and elevate.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

:goodpost:

I'd like to write a post that says it all... but she already wrote it. Bilateral surgery is exactly what she says, only you will have two knees giving you pain and inconvenience. In terms of prep, those same three things are key:

1. Figure out how you are going to ice and elevate
    2. Some way to make using the toilet and shower/tub easier
    3. Someone to assist you at first

You won't be super hungry, but you will have to eat. Snacks are important both for calories (you're healing, you need them) but to have a little something to take with your pain meds, most of which are better taken with food.

And most of all, be patient with yourself, your knees, and your recovery. There will be times when it seems like it's taking forever. The good news is that with bilateral knee replacements, you have no other knee to compare yours with. Keep in mind that one knee may get better faster and the other slower. That's what happened with me. But now at nearly five months out... both knees are pain-free and strong. I often forget they're replacements. :happydance: So fend off the boredom, and bear with the pain. You're on a journey and your job, your only job, during recovery is to listen to your knees.

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

Thank you, it's good to hear from someone having replaced both at the same time... I'm doing my best at this time to prep everything for my husband, I want to make this as easy as possible for him.

12. OJ2

OJ2

One more thing....plan on what you will be wearing after surgery. I can not, even at 7 weeks, stand anything covering my knee. i wore my hubby's shorts home from the hospital because I wasn't sure mine would fit over the swelling. I haven't given them back to him yet because they are so comfy. I wear those or some of my shorts since my swelling is down. I am glad it is summer.

13. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

Yes I was thinking to wear a loose, shift type dress home... I'm in October it might be chilly. One question what type car was most comfortable for the ride home. We have Nissan sentra and maxima?? Thank you

14. SusieShoes

SusieShoes Forum Advisor

I rode home in a Toyota Corolla 4 door sedan. Having done that, I would say get a bigger car if able. You know how older people often like to drive big Chrysler or Buick sedans? One of those would be more comfortable. I got home just fine in the little Toyota, though I wouldn't recommend anything smaller.

15. OJ2

OJ2

Came home in a Toyota Highlander. Didn't bring any pillows but I put my operated foot ankle over my good leg ankle to help cushion the bumps. And tell your driver to brake slowly and speed up slowly. But there is no way to avoid the bumps in the road.

16. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

With both knees, how long was your hospital stay. Were you really able to walk to and from the bathroom alone on the walker once at home? What type of equipment did they send you home with, i.e., ice machine? The other one that gently bends the knee for you? I can't remember the name..

17. MrsHawk

MrsHawk

It is the EVE of my bilateral knee replacement.... I'm excited to get the surgery over.... I'm anxious about the unknown pain I'll experience. I've done everything I can think of to prepare my home and husband.... here I go..literally BOTH knees in.... I'll post again, I don't know when..

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. PoetryChef

PoetryChef

Wishing you the best of success with your surgery. Please let us know how you are getting along.

19. dogluvr

dogluvr

My bilateral tkr was August 7 .My Dr said I would hate him for the first two to three weeks. I didn't. Never was in horrible pain, just discomfort. Maybe that was because I was religious about taking my pain pills every four hours.? I set an alarm to wake me up. I ate a snack, took my pill and back to sleep.
    I've never had any kind of major surgery prior to this, so I dont have anything to compare the pain to, but to me, it wasn't as bad as some said it would be.
    The my knee guide app is great. Very helpful!
    Wishing you well tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you

20. dogluvr

dogluvr

This may be too late for you to see, but My surgery was Monday at 7a'm and I was released Wednesday 4 p'm. I was actually hesitant about going home...i liked being taken care of! I wish I would've seen your post earlier. You ask the same questions I did! I was so worried because I normally got up to go to the bathroom at least twice a night. Just for the first maybe three nights, my husband had to help me move my legs to the floor, and then I could get my walker. He also had to help me get them back in bed and get situated. In no time at all, I was able to get myself up and back in bed!