TKR A few questions, wake up during surgery?

Freddie L

Country
United States United States
I have a few questions, could not find answers during a search. I am 5 weeks out, not doing great, but making progress.
Has anyone woke up during surgery? This was with a spinal, I was given the choice, the doc preferred the spinal. They were wacking on me pretty good, but no pain. Had a bad bruise on my heel and foot, thinking it came from that. I know they have to put it together,
should I mention this to the surgeon? Thanks.

Hi and Welcome!

We’ve had a few members wake up during surgery, though thankfully I’m not one of them. :yikes:

Is the bruise on your heel and foot bothering you? You can always mention it to your surgeon. Our body does go through a lot during this surgery.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Please give us the date of your surgery and which knee it is, and we’ll make a signature for you. :flwrysmile:

I have a few questions, could not find answers during a search. I am 5 weeks out, not doing great, but making progress.
Has anyone woke up during surgery? This was with a spinal, I was given the choice, the doc preferred the spinal. They were whacking on me pretty good, but no pain. Had a bad bruise on my heel and foot, thinking it came from that. I know they have to put it together,
should I mention this to the surgeon? Thanks.
Too bad you did not stay awake. I watched both my complete surgeries. The Anesthesiologist sat with me explaining everything as it happened. Pointed out the arthritis, ACL & Meniscus when cut out and turfed. She got all 3 new parts and let me handle them. Then when they cut the bones from my Femur she said I could not take those bones home to my dog, lol. She was the best and ended it with, Now tomorrow you will know why you hurt!
Good luck with your recovery

Since your mentioning the bruising here, I would think you have some concerns. I would mention it to the surgeon at the next appointment. I'm not surprised, and maybe you bruise more easily than others, that I don't know.

As for waking up I'd certainly mention that. I don't want that to happen to me!! Ugh.

You need to remember your 5 weeks out of a major surgery. It does take time to recuperate and start to feel yourself again. The knee has lots of healing to do. Don't be discouraged.

Thanks for the replies. My surgery was 9-3-22. Right knee. I also had a bad infection in this knee about 13 years prior, and had a long incision, may be why I am a little behind. I tried to move my arms, did not know they strapped them down, did not know what I would have done, was only awake for 30 seconds or so, they may have noticed and gave me more knockout drops.

@Freddie L I woke up during my first LHR. I asked for more sedation and the anaesthetist refused. It was a bit disturbing as this surgery is rather "noisy". Luckily I willed myself to sleep again.

Before my second THR I had a long talk with the anaesthetist. He said it was rare to wake up but it does sometimes happen. He promised me that I would be out for whole procedure. And he was true to his word!

I had the epidural for both surgeries, on my first I must have awoken as I distinctly heard drilling, hammering and the voices of the surgeon and his team, I must have moved or muttered as it was rapidly lights out thereafter, on my 2nd surgery I made sure I was well under having told the anesthetist my tale.
I do not recall being strapped down on either surgeries, nor thankfully did I have any bruising after both despite being extremely prone to bruising.
However no harm in mentioning your bruising and ankle to your physician, he can maybe prescribe something for it.

I also had a bad experience in recovery, I am pretty sure they were diverting my morphine, asked for it 3 times, and never felt anything, and I have had morphine before. My sister is a pharmacist, and reported this to all the authorities, they sent me a letter and said they did an investigation and found nothing. The nurse giving me the morphine was acting funny, and was mia for a good while. Anyone else have this happen?

Quadriceps Sparing Surgery,
Has anyone here had this? I am doubting, as it seems to be new, just wondering about the results, may need to ask in the recovery section. Had my right knee done 6 weeks ago, still hurts bad, my other knee is bad, and is hurting more now.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Freddie L
I moved your newest post to your recovery thread.

Here’s what Jamie had to say about the procedure:

Yes, most - if not all - knee replacements are done this way these days and it is not a new procedure by any means. Quad snips just aren't done anymore unless the surgeon is really, really old school.

Freddie L ... please realize that you've just had major surgery and your knee is going to hurt for quite a while. Your bones and soft tissue have all gone through a lot of trauma and it takes a while to recover from that. Please take a look at the recovery articles in Post #2 so you can better understand what to expect with your recovery. Pay special attention to this article as it will let you know just how long healing can take:

Healing: how long does it take?

:wave:Happy Three Month Anniversary, Freddie!
I am wondering how you're doing since you last posted a month ago. Hopefully over this time you've enjoyed some steady progress. Please let us know next time you're on the forum.
Best Wishes...hope to hear from you soon.
@Freddie L

Too bad you did not stay awake. I watched both my complete surgeries. The Anesthesiologist sat with me explaining everything as it happened. Pointed out the arthritis, ACL & Meniscus when cut out and turfed. She got all 3 new parts and let me handle them. Then when they cut the bones from my Femur she said I could not take those bones home to my dog, lol. She was the best and ended it with, Now tomorrow you will know why you hurt!
Good luck with your recovery
OMG! I've watched a lot of post mortems due to my previous job but there's no way I'd want to watch them doing my knee replacement. Eeek!

Thanks for asking, not doing great, I am still having pain while walking, did not expect that after 4 months, but it is getting better very slowly. Hope everyone else is doing better.

We have September 3 as your surgery date, so that’s only 3 months, which is 25% healed, in this year long recovery. It is very common to still have pain doing things as this point.

What does your day look like, what activities are you doing, and what, if any, PT are you doing?

Are you taking anything for pain? Icing and elevating?

I was awake on both my surgeries and chatting to the surgery team and anaesthetist. I could feel the
Hammering coming up my thigh, I mentioned to the surgeon he would knock me off the table . The reply I received was top drawer and very calming ‘ I wouldn’t feel it any way ‘ I was asking questions during the surgery and this helped me get through the time as they explained every procedure right up to the closure team. I’m 14 weeks into recovery and it’s different from first one, but as others have said it’s a long recovery and lots of work and exercise . I seem to have a tighter band above the knee this time and slightly more swelling if I’m on my feet too long . I never got any PT but doing my own and come on leaps and bounds using walk in Local swimming pool to walk and exercise . Good luck in your recovery and remember it was a major surgery you have had

How are you doing on this four month anniversary, Freddie?
Hopefully better. I am not sure if you are noticing pain while walking in general, or out on walks? If it's outdoors on walks, you may want to scale back, then slowly add time and distance. If it's walking in general, try icing even at this point in the healing process, then contemplate your activity level and whether you may be doing something that's aggravating soft tissue over and over again.
Wishing you a great 2023. Happy Four Month Anniversary!
@Freddie L

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back