BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

A bit of a rollercoaster feeling - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by CorpHippie, Mar 11, 2019.

1. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

United States United States
    The hospital called today to confirm that a walker will be there for me post surgery. Not a big deal, I knew about this and it’s part of what I expect. Then the nurse says “Great! We’ll see you next week!”. I hung up the phone and felt like a had a stone in the pit of my stomach. NEXT WEEK. This is suddenly feeling like things are moving REALLY fast. Too fast almost. I suddenly feel like i’m not ready for this. I mean I just had a deep clean done on the house to help reduce the risk of infection, I’ve been getting my co-workers up to speed on what they will have to cover for me. I have this feeling that things at work will slip back to where they were when i came into my position (we have made massive strides forward). I feel like I need to postpone this just a few more weeks until I have everything all where it should be. Is this a normal feeling? I’m honestly quite bothered by this right now.

2. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome CorpHippie from Florida!

I had to wait two months for surgery and keeping busy getting everything in order worked very well, so I know how you feel. Would it help to put your concerns and thoughts in writing? Sometimes things blow up out of proportion in our mind. In the meantime, here are a few of the articles we have in our library for your information.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

3. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

@maryo52 thank you so much for your response. When you asked about writing it down that sounds helpful but I’m not sure where to start! The number of posts you’ve shared makes me confident that you have MUCH more experience and exposure to this type of thing than I do. So, I am going to defer to you for some guidance, ideas, input on this. I think we may be onto something really helpful here! Thank you again! :)

4. Irish471

Irish471 senior

@CornHippie, I feel the SAME way! I am trying so hard not to let my thoughts get out of control and I am finding the more I read, the more I worry. I keep reminding myself that I have the best surgeon and that's what matters most. I feel so bad reading some of the difficult recovery stories. I am a bit freaked out right now because both of my kids came home sick on Friday. My daughter has a cold and my son has what seems to be the flu. Talk about the worst possible timing! I've got the lysol spray practically at my hip, I put a mask on when I have to get within a few feet of them, and I am just praying I don't catch what they have or it will derail everything. I deep cleaned the bathrooms this past weekend and caught up on the laundry and I am hoping to rest and relax a bit this week. It's definitely the feeling of the unknown that's getting to me. This isn't my first knee surgery, so I kind of know what to expect. The last surgery I had was a MPFL replacement and microfracture and that recovery was terrible because I couldn't put any weight on my leg while that microfracture healed. My OS had me in physical therapy the very next morning and it wasn't a home visit. I have no idea how I got down the 26 stairs and into the car to get to that appointment. If I did it then, I can do it again. This recovery sounds like it will be much easier to deal with since I can be semi-mobile. You're not alone in how you're feeling. Sending you a big virtual hug!!!

5. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi there. You are at the most vulnerable stage. I am just through the other side at 6 days post op.
    Some people have no struggle letting go and accepting what will be will be. For me, I am in 2 unique responsible roles. No one takes over for me and I can just manage 4 weeks off for recovery.
    I think writing your specific concerns is a good way to reduce anxiety. Just take some thinking time before you communicate it.
    After surgery you will be able to communicate. You could programme in a 2 IC who will give you a specific update on key items.
    Just don't forget to focus on yourself!! One day work ends and your health and happiness are the most important. So trust yourself to have done all you can, believe that you will fix anything that evolves and take the time to recover. Xxx

6. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

I am 4 days away from being on the road to recovery. I know this path will take me to places I’ve not been able to go in years. Places like the floor with my grandson playing with his dinosaurs, the back of Superman’s bike for rides like we did years ago, walking down the steps and back up at a concert with no one push past me since I’m going so slow. ALL good things I know. My surgeon could not be better. He’s done this procedure hundred of times and even performed it on NFL players successfully. These are all of the things I keep telling myself. So why is it that today when I ran my hand over my knee did it make me burst into a full on ugly cry? Yep, ladies you know the one, runny but stopped up nose and all! Superman stopped the car to check oh my well being and ask if I was hurt. Through tears I croaked out “In 4 days my body will be different!” That’s all I could get out. He hugged me until I calmed down and then we drove home. But honestly, what the mess is this? I’m not usually this emotional. Has anyone else felt like this? Not that I want to back out. I’d never do that but I just feel sad about this today.

7. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I was nervous before my first tkr, as much about what the hospital experience would be like as anything. It was my first inpatient surgery. I can't say that I was worried about my body being different--because I was barely hobbling by that time and I had to wait for the surgery to plan around my work. I was glad my knee would be different. :heehee:
    But I will say that our nerves and worries (we all have them) do express themselves differently.
    Sounds like you have great support at home.

8. Irish471

Irish471 senior

I just logged in to the hospital patient portal and saw the procedure listed knee arthroplasty total and I felt that fight or flight feeling hit me hard. I feel like running and hiding under the bed! I've talked to the surgeon about doing the partial or the total and I know the total is definitely a possibility. I think he has it down as total just in case that's the way it goes. I wish I could take something to take these nerves away!

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @CorpHippie so one likes to face surgery. All that you are feeling is totally normal. Just keep posting here. Those of us who have been there do understand. And those who are in the same space will have great comfort knowing that others are on the same path. This pre-op time is the worst part. Once you are in the hospital it all goes very quickly.

You will soon be home and in recovery mode. Hang in there!

10. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    @CorpHippie - I moved your thread to the Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area, because I saw that your signature said you're having a hip replacement and your user name seemed more relevant to hips than knees.

When I saw you'd posted in the Knee Replacement March Musketeers, I realised something was wrong and that you're probably having a knee replacement after all, so I moved the thread back to where it came from.

Please will you confirm whether you are having a hip or a knee replaced?
    Whichever it is, I wish you all the best for the 21st.

11. CorpHippie

CorpHippie junior member

Celle, my nerves are showing for sure! Thursday the 21st I’m having TKR on my left knee. I’m so sorry for the mistake. The user name is a what my husband calls me. I have a corporate job (read many hours at a desk) but I’d be happier barefoot in loose fitting clothes with little make up and sun on my skin. So he calls me the corporate hippie. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the clarification. Mystery solved! :yes!: :flwrysmile: