Lounge Doctor

TKR _Lisa_’s Left TKR Recovery

OP
OP
L

_Lisa_

Country
United States United States
Here are some questions for all you smart people!

I will be going back to work at eight weeks post-op. A phased return to work is not possible. I will be teaching online, so I will have the opportunity to sit, stand, and move around. For those of you who have gone back to work, do you have any tips on what I should expect? Are there things I should take with me each day?

I’m looking for recommendations for an upright (not recumbent) exercise bike. When I am back at work, it will not be realistic for me to go to the gym to use the bikes there.

Thanks so much!

Lisa

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You will definitely want to get up and move around for a minute or two around every hour or so.

GiantFinnegan

Country
I went back to work after 3 weeks - I have a desk job and work mostly from home. I bought a small ottoman to go under my desk so I could prop my leg up. I also found had to set an alarm to go off every hour or so to remind me to get up and walk around or stretch. Otherwise I got wrapped up in work or a meeting and by the time I remembered to get up, I was so stiff!

OP
OP
L

_Lisa_

Country
Thanks! I will make a point of getting up and moving around frequently--I will set alarms on my watch. And I really like the ottoman idea. I will get one.

Thanks very much for the ideas!

OP
OP
L

_Lisa_

Country
Yay! I had a post-op visit yesterday. It has been seven and a half weeks since my left TKR surgery. My flexion was at 120 degrees, and my extension was at 5 degrees. I hope to improve my extension. A few weeks ago, my extension was 20 degrees and I was really worried about it. So that’s progress! Other than stretches, normal activities, and taking walks, I have not done anything special.

I am finally getting some sleep after six weeks of killer insomnia. The surgeon recommended 50 mg. Benadryl at bedtime, and that has done wonders. I was surprised that it worked. Falling asleep is not the problem. Staying asleep for more than 1-2 hours is the problem. But it has really helped, and I can sleep for 4-hour stretches now.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Lisa

Sisterpat

Country
Lisa, wonderful report! So happy for your progress. Keep us posted.

sistersinhim

Country
My extension was slower coming in, too. What helped it for me was to walk with longer strides than normal with a heel-to-toe gait. It didn't happen overnight, but it did help my extension.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Panda1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom