Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR _Annie_‘s Recovery Thread

_Annie_

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I had Mako knee replacement on January 28, 2020. I would like to be entered on the January Jackpots forum. Thanks so much. I found this site about a week ago and have appreciated all the helpful information here.

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Someone wiser than I will stop by soon with lots of good information and support, but I’m here to tell you that you came to the right place. BoneSmart will be very helpful in understanding what can be understood about what’s going on in your new knee.

One thing I know you’ll hear, no matter how many days or weeks out you are, is to rest, ice, and elevate, so, if you’re not already resting comfortably with your knee a little higher than your heart, and some ice nestled like a beloved pet around your knee . . . What are you waiting for?!

We’re all in this together. Hope you are recovering well.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @_Annie_ - and :welome:

Please will you tell us which knee was replaced, so we can add that to your signature for you?
Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I've added your name to the January Jackpots surgery list.

Here is your own copy of the recovery guidelines:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
I am doing way better than I thought I would be. The pain hasn’t been unbearable & am getting 6 to 7 hrs straight of sleep a night. I’m doing good with icing and elevating on my recliner. But not so good with elevation above my heart. I keep forgetting to do that! I will work on that. I have out patient PT 2 times a week and do exercises 2 times daily at home.

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
I had my left knee replaced. Thank you!

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
May I ask what is Mako have seen it mentioned in a few posts.

Hoping that your recovery is going smoothly the 1st few weeks are the hardest, it will with time and plenty of patience get better xx

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
It’s a Robotic type of surgery. Have you heard of it? I will also likely need my right knee replaced in the near future. Will definitely use it again. Every thing went great with my left knee. I was walking without a walker and cane in 2 weeks. Had range of motion 0-115 in 2 weeks also. I’ve had only a few Tylenol in the last week. I like having the Robotic surgery because I was told that the ligaments and tissue surrounding the knees aren’t disturbed as much and the recovery is about half the time.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
and the recovery is about half the time.
I'm afraid that's not completely true.
While it's true that early recovery can be faster, it will still take a full year for complete recovery of all your tissues. Remember that you still had two large bones cut and shaped, and then had large metal replacements inserted into their cores.
Whether robotic or not, that's all still major surgery.

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
Got it. So about half the time for early recovery but still a full year to get back to normal. And we are all different, and all recover differently. But I was all into my chances for having half the recovery time initially.

Tkdbob

Country
Annie,

All joint replacements take up to a year for total healing but that doesn’t mean you won’t be back to normal a lot sooner. I’ve had four joint replacements and I was doing everything I wanted to do after three months but with a bit less intensity. I was back doing aerobic workouts at a high level at three to four months. I did make some adjustments to keep the impact on the joints at a minimum but that was just a precaution not a physical limitation. I had no problem with everyday activities at about four to six weeks.

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
Tkdbob,
I really like the sound of that - 3 months to almost normal.

Wow! You are doing both knees at the same time next month? I hope things go well! You are going to be ‘all new’ pretty soon!

Tkdbob

Country
Annie,

Everyone is different but I find it typical with all the folks I know that after 3 months they are doing great. Just keep moving!

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
Can this thread be my Recovery thread? Could the title ’Newbie’ be changed to _Annie_‘s recovery thread?

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
Thank you!
Last night I put some Vit. E on my scar, 4+ weeks out. I did ask permission, and was told it would be ok. As I was massaging it in, I felt little sharp pointy things where my staples had been. I scratched at them a little bit and I could remove them. I really think it was a bit of the staple left in my skin. In the picture, the right side has most of them removed. I was surprised and wondered if anyone has seen this before?

After my out patient therapy, I‘ve been sore, so I went back on the extra strength Tylenol. 2 every 8 hours, so hope that will help - I read about doing on this website.

I have a hard time being patient during this recovery. This website has helped me a lot and made me realize I will have ups and down. And I can relax and not push so hard. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

bikinglynn

Country
I had the same things after my staples were removed. I think they were just dried blood. I could pretty much rub my skin and remove them.

Summer2020

Country
Yes I had the same thing. At least it looks the same as mine did. I thought the same thing as bikinglynn said. Dry blood from the staples. I could flick them with my fingernail and they’d come off.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
It wouldn't be part of the staple. They are way too sturdy to break apart while they are in or during removal. What you're feeling is dried blood and/or scabs. Just leave them alone and they will eventually go away. Don't pick at anything on your incision!

@_Annie_ .... please do try to be patient with your recovery. I'd love to tell you that you'll be totally back to normal in 3 months, but that's not what most people experience. You will be greatly improved, but knees take longer than hips for recovery. With knees it's usually about 6 months before people say they are starting to feel more like yourself again.

OP
OP
_Annie_

_Annie_

Country
Dried blood, well that makes sense, it was black in color. Much better then the bits of staples, that I was thinking!

Jamie, thanks for the reminder about being patient.

And most likely, I still need something done with the right knee. It has Arthuritis under the knee cap and a cyst on the femur. The cartilage still looked good on the right knee. Does Arthuritis under the knee cap require a knee replacement? The Dr didn’t want to discuss the right knee earlier, said we needed to take care of the left knee first, that was bone on bone.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom