9yr old hip has loosened - revision required

An interesting observation about my original THR: Because I have a ceramic-on-metal prosthesis in the THR that has become loose, I was tested for metal ion levels -- cobalt, chromium, aluminum, and titanium. All metal levels were measured as low and in the case of titanium, undetectable. That means that metallosis did not cause the loosening. The original concept of using the ceramic and metal combo 10 years ago was that it would wear as well or better than MOM or ceramic-on-plastic, but shed an order of magnitude fewer metal ions into surrounding tissue. That concept seems to be holding true in my case. Too bad the prosthesis loosened for other reasons.

Good news from my OS's office today. All the blood tests and the hip aspiration tests indicate no infection. The elevated white and red blood cell counts in the synovial fluid are normal for someone with a THR. So it is full steam ahead for a normal hip revision on the 3rd. They usually only call if something in the surgery plan changes based on the pre-op tests. In my case, they knew I was concerned so called me to give me peace of mind for the holidays. That was right nice of them!

:happydance:great news...all good for new and improved hip!
Roll on January!:ok:

@prairienut sending good wishes for your procedure coming up. I like your avatar. You will notice that my dog, Daisy, looks very similar to yours. They are good companions. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Out of curiosity what were your metal lab results? My cobalt/metal level was 1.5. My OS is concerned about metallosis. But I spoke with the surgeon who did my primary replacement and he stated there was no cobalt in the implant. It had to come from somewhere. I also considered going to HSS. Small world. I found a surgeon closer to home at the University of Missouri Orthopedic Institute.

Ah yes, GrannyC, my avatar is our dear Maggie who was with us for 15-1/2 years. The sweetest dog you could ever imagine. I am now sitting here wondering if I will be healthy enough for the revision surgery next week. I woke up with a sore throat yesterday. I was advised by my OS office to get a strep swab test which I did, and it was negative thank heavens. However, I am now concerned about how long the sore throat and nasal congestion will last. The symptoms are not severe, but I do not know what the threshhold of tolerance is for common cold symptoms on the part of the anesthesiologist. I left a message with the OS today about the strep test results and said I would get back to them about any changes in my symptoms for better or for worse. I'm staying hydrated, gargling warm salt water, and getting plenty of sleep. Not sure what else I can do. Fingers crossed that this thing resolves itself by early next week. The surgeon's office said that if Jan. 3 gets cancelled, the next open slots are in March! OK, time for the relaxation and breathing exercises to lower stress levels....

Pirate911, I have access to all the metal test results except the cobalt, but I was told it was "low" and not a concern. The other three tests were chromium <1.0 (reference range <5.0), titanium none detected, and aluminum <5.0 (reference range 0-15). They are labeling my condition as "aseptic loosening." If I find out the cobalt results, I'll let you know. Metal levels were measured because I have ceramic-on-metal bearing surfaces. The acetabular cup lining is a cobalt-chromium alloy. The stem is a titanium alloy which I suppose also contains aluminum; I mean why else would they measure my Al levels? COM was supposed to be a long-wearing combo that would last up to 30 years. I guess I proved them wrong.

I do hope you feel better soon.
My mother would drown you with Orange juice.
Good old Vitamin C ...she swears by .

:fingersx: things will go as planned.

Mojo333, I have been taking my vitamin C! Feeling about the same today, now with an occasional cough. Yes, fingers crossed! No fever, aches, or other symptoms so hopefully just a common cold.

Talked to the OS's office today. She said that if I'm just having cold symptoms -- stuffiness and sore throat -- I should be all right for surgery by next Thursday. They will cancel surgery if I were to develop flu symptoms, e.g. fever, chills, vomiting, or diarrhea. I am to call them Monday if I feel any worse, and the OS will be consulted. So my job this weekend is to shake this cold!

:beg:that all goes away TODAY.
Let's get this done!
Wishing you Health and Comfort :roseshwr:

Cold seems to be resolving. Still there, but in four days should be nearly gone. I'm feeling a strong nesting instinct today -- clearing clutter from around my recliner and in the hallway, removing small throw rugs, doing laundry, finding pants that will fit over a log leg, getting hubby to install a hand-held shower sprayer, reading the HSS patient handbook, locating my health care proxy, etc. etc. Trying to decide if I eat a perfectly normal diet on Tuesday and Wednesday or go light. Maybe will go on the light side. Planning to stay in a nearby hotel the night before surgery to make it easier to get to HSS on time. They call the day before surgery to tell me when I have to arrive. Time to go do some deep breathing....

@prairienut sounds like everything is falling into place for you! Keep busy - do something to take your mind off the wait. Staying in the hotel the day before should be a good distraction. You got this and we are with you all the way!

I opened a thread on the Hip Recovery forum and will be posting there after I return home from surgery. I'm ready! A heartfelt thank you to the wonderful people of this forum for the information and emotional support provided. One can always count on a timely, kind, and helpful reply here. Makes the stressful pre-surgery period a bit less stressful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks